Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 06-07-2006, 04:32 PM   #21
dean_1
Founding Member

Default Re: Picking a bike for a 6 footer

Good choice. I'd say you can't go wrong with Triumph or BMW.

The Sprint is comfortable and offers good wind protection which means you have more seating position adjustment options because you're not bracing against the wind. I ended up with a Daytona and to my surprise I find it comfortable although I have always replaced stock handlebars with lowere ones because to me it feels better. Look at the Tiger too.

BMW is coming out with some 800cc vertical twins that look interesting and would probably be in your price range.
dean_1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-07-2006, 04:58 PM   #22
mii54ws
Founding Member

I'm surprised that no one have mentioned a Kawasaki Nomad 1600. I have a 2005 (I'm 6'3", and 195 AND age 69. Have a delicate back, so the air adjustable shocks, front and rear and rear rebound damping, shaft drive, WATER COOLED, fuel injection, AND....AND on eBay can get a 4 year extended warrantee (a Kawasaki warrantee) for $390. I highly recomemd water cooled engine; therefore HD's are out (I know, the V-ROD, but who cares). Find a Kawasaki dealer with used bikes and take a test ride. I did and bought a new one.
mii54ws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 05:38 PM   #23
mikenomad
Founding Member

Default Re: Anything Except a Cruiser

Any sportbike, sport tourer, adventure tourer, or dual-purpose bike should fit just fine.

These bikes all have at least 30-inch seat heights, with some several inches higher.

Cruisers tend to have the lowest seat heights.
mikenomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 07:19 PM   #24
Klay
Founding Member

I have an SV650 and it's great, but for longer rides, my knees are just on the edge of being too kinked up. I've ridden 1,000 mile days on it. But I'm 5' 10", if you are six feet tall, I would think the SV650 would be a little tight for you.

Bandit 1200S! That would be great. It's a big easy relaxed roomy bike and you are sitting in a nice comfy neutral postion where you have good control. I used to have a Bandit 1200. I had to sell it because I got married and had to finance a new hardwood floor in our new house.

I'd be careful about the cruiser bikes because the seats are too low to the ground and you have to stick your feet way forward if you're tall. Then it's hard to stand up on the pegs when you need to ride over something and it's impossible to lean into the wind. You can't support any of your weight with your legs and you are forced into this slumped riding position where you passively sit there and have your spine and butt compressed down on the seat...no thanks! Every time you hit a bump, bang! the shock is transmitted directly up your spine. You can't use your legs in a natural way to to ease the shock like you can when you're riding a horse, in a nice easy position of control.

But for short distances like 40-150 miles, maybe this doesn't matter.

Never mind.

Old 06-07-2006, 11:34 PM   #25
Dangerousdave_2
Registered Member

Absolutely!. If your height comes from legs, then you have a different problem from someone who's height comes from a long torso. You gotta sit on them, and think hard about what kind of riding you do. I'm a sportbike kind of guy, but for you, the V-strom may be just the thing. Someone mentioned leaning forward just a bit as an important consideration, and I couldn't agree more. It greatly reduces the pounding your spine takes over the course of a long ride. It's like sitting in a nice, cushy seat of some car in the showroom, and then discovering that the lack of support ends up making your back hurt more over the long haul, in spite of initial impressions. I think cruisers in general are probably the worst choice you could make, if you have any kind of long distance riding in mind. Just my personal opinion.
Dangerousdave_2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 01:16 AM   #26
BillyO
Registered Member

Any HD Dyna Glide Sport will fit you perfectly.I have similar problem
BillyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 01:19 AM   #27
SRMark
Founding Member

You might also consider sitting on a few supermotos. Being based on dirt bikes, they then to be more roomy. For that matter, a KLR650 is spacious and for $10k you can get two. Carry a picture of a pretty bike to look at when you stop. But I gotta go for the Strom and Uly, too. But you got poser bikes in the family and you'll get picked on mercilessly if you get the Strom. Hell, it's as ugly as the KLR. Real rides happen when you're alone though so screw what others think.
SRMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 01:56 AM   #28
Nap
Founding Member

Seconded! I'm 6'2" and use my 1200S mostly for commuting and long trips. The Bandit is very comfortable for a sporty bike, and it is also good two-up. I like to think of it as a poor man's BMW
Nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 02:03 AM   #29
bikervince
Founding Member

"I enjoy the look/feel/style of the cruisers, but there are too many people that have told me the sport and ST bikes are the way to go for me to ignore. "

That's because the readers of this site don't like cruisers. Every cruiser review on MO gets comments like "I don't get it" or "they cant accelerate, turn or stop" or the biggest lie of all, "cruisers are uncomfortable to ride" . BS. Let me tell you a little story: There once was a guy name bikervince who owned a Yamaha V-star. Loved it. Very comfy. He just wanted a little more power. After reading mostly MO he became convinced that a Bandit 1200S would be perfect for him. Lotsa power and because of the standard riding position, it would be just as good as his comfy old cruiser. It wasn't. Hated it. Even handlebar risers and a gel seat couldn't make it tolerable for more than a hour. The footpeg position made me fold my legs in half and cramped up my knees. (And I'm only 5'8"). Traded it in for a Harley Electra-Glide and don't miss it at all.

Since your last bike was a Magna 750, and given the kind of riding you do, (rides of 40-150 miles) you should consider a cruiser with forward footpegs to accomodate your long legs (like your old Magna). How bout the new Suzuki MT109? Or consider a Sportster with some forward controls installed.
bikervince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 02:42 AM   #30
triplehman
Founding Member

Check out Cascade Moto in Beaverton too. They carry Triumph and Motoguzzi...excellent shop with good deals on bikes. The Rocket is a bit heavy I think the ST might be the ticket for you.
triplehman is offline   Reply With Quote