Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Help! (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/help/)
-   -   Picking a bike for a 6 footer (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/help/3651-picking-bike-for-6-footer.html)

babyblu 06-07-2006 12:03 PM

Re: Picking a bike for a 6 footer

I'm 6'2" and am perfectly comfortable on my 87 VFR. Comfortable and good handling.

Chukchi 06-07-2006 12:18 PM

Another vote for the V-Strom. I am 6'3" and have the VStrom 650. I love it. I came off a V-Star and before that a Yamaha Maxim. The V-Strom is an awesome sport touring bike that is perfect for tall riders. I can easily do 200 miles without the leg cramps or back pain that I used to experience. For under $10k you could get the V-strom 1000 fully equipped with hard luggage, a touring windscreen, and various other goodies. For around $7k you could get the V-strom 650 set up the same way. Either way you would have a great set up that would be very comfortable for longer legs.

Dr_Sprocket 06-07-2006 12:39 PM

Legroom

I am 6'5" with a 36" inseam. I have sat on just about every bike from every major manufacturer. Depending on your inseam, I would recommend: 1) Buell Ulysses, 2) Triumph Speed Triple, 3) Triumph Sprint ST, 4) any Victory, and finally 5) H-D Wide Glide with forward controls. NOTE: Inseam makes a huge difference. My brother is 6'2" with a 33-34 inseam, and he could not get both feet flat on the Ulysses.

JLWarrior 06-07-2006 01:03 PM

You can get extensions for the forward controls for many cruisers. I relocated the stock controls on my Warrior forward a couple inches with an $80 kit. I'm 6'2", made a big difference for me.

Tigercub 06-07-2006 01:10 PM

Yamaha FZ1 - I keep forgetting the name of this one, but it's the stripped version of the R1. We have 6-footer here at work that loves his.

Over and out.

PeterH 06-07-2006 01:34 PM

I am a long backed, short legged 6 footer, and I do lot of long distance riding and have ridden most of the major sports touring bikes FJR, ST1100, 1300, and other bikes from the multistrada and KTM 950 but two of my rides stood out for comfort--a '99 BMW 650 GS and an Aprilia Maxi scooter (Scarabeo 500). Both had relaxed seating but had room to move my legs. Sports bikes are great for up to 5-6 hours= R1, R6, YFr 600, Super Hawk and so on but a fixed leg position kills us over time. The semi enduros make great commuters too. The back pain you suffer comes from two aspects of riding. The straight up and down position with your weight on your butt, and the other comes from slumping and letting your back muscles sag. Any ride that has you leaning forward a little with some of your weight supported by your legs helps combat the back ache. All the bikes posted should suit you just fine, but do look at the BMWs.

ebenson 06-07-2006 02:16 PM

Wow! More than I hoped for. I think I am headed over to the BMW/Triumph dealer first, to sit on some bikes. The Rocket III has a heck of an intro payment on it (99/month for 24 months) but got a bit torn up in the review. I am interested in the BMW's and the Sprint ST. Big change to what I have ridden, but you only live once right? Maybe a ZX-14 :)

I enjoy the look/feel/style of the cruisers, but there are too many people that have told me the sport and ST bikes are the way to go for me to ignore.

gigantic 06-07-2006 03:34 PM

At 6'8, with a 36" inseam I'd recommend just about any bike that BMW makes, it seems like they're made for tall people. Triumphs are also relatively roomy, as is the previous generation Yamaha FZ-1, although I can't comment on the new model. at only 6' tall, you still have a wide range of options!

Airfiddler 06-07-2006 04:21 PM

Suzuki Bandit 1200 S. Take one for a spin, and just try to say no.

Fenton 06-07-2006 04:30 PM

Don't put too much weight on the reviews of the journalist.(only read MO)

But really, a tweak to a new model makes last years a sled type of review doesn't make sense to me.

For example; the Triumph Tiger had won comparos in the past and now is considered a joke in need of an update when tested against the latest adv/tour stuff. That doesn't mean it's not a great bike for you or still as good as it ever was.

Uh....my point.... FZ-1('05), R1150GS('00-04), V-strom 1000, plus many listed above.

Good luck.