Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 06-07-2006, 08:35 AM   #1
mjs
Founding Member

Default Re: BEGINNER ON TWO WHEELS

ninja 250 is a good first bike
mjs is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-07-2006, 08:36 AM   #2
rogeryin
Founding Member

Yeah Ninja twofity is definitly a good Beginner's bike...stable, reliable and a blast to ride on.

I took the MSF course and all you need after that is to take the writen DMV test and your done.. and you can learn some skill too.
rogeryin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 08:36 AM   #3
davidhaner
Founding Member

First post!

A ninja250 is a good beginner bike, fun and forgiving. Sometimes on the freeway you wish for more power; it's nice to be able to escape situations by fleeing quickly, you might want to consider a ninja500. However, that said, I was happy with my ninja250 as a first bike.

At the end of the MSF class you take the same test that would be administered by the DMV. However, note that the brunt of the riding in the class is spent practicing the exact same exercises as are in the test, so you should be able to pass it. You almost certainly won't pass it if you take it at the DMV without significant practice of those exercises.
davidhaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 08:36 AM   #4
davidhaner
Founding Member

I type too slowly.
davidhaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 08:39 AM   #5
SnowFalco
Founding Member

First post!

The DMV thing depends on the state. I lived in AZ recently, and there was a beginners course that left you with a MC endorsement on your license, saving the nasty DMV experience. I don't think that's true in every state, however. You are going to get a ton of advice on a first bike-- I would ordinarily recommend a dual-purpose bike, though 2 hours on the freeway on a dirtbike could be kind of brutal. A used Suzuki GS500 or Kawasaki 500 ninja would be good. The 250 might be a little buzzy and uncomfortable for cruising down the freeway for two hours. For insurance reasons, plus the fact that you will likely have a tip-over or two, I would definitely recommend against a new bike at first. Get a good cheap used one, thrash it for a year, then make the decision about what you want for the long term. Go to www.cycletrader.com and browse around for used bikes in your zip code.

Good luck!
SnowFalco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 08:51 AM   #6
SnowFalco
Founding Member

Any I type too much! Maybe I should start with: "Fifth Post!!"
SnowFalco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 08:54 AM   #7
seruzawa
The Toad

I wonder what MR ALLCAPS would recommend.
Old 06-07-2006, 08:55 AM   #8
Chukchi
Founding Member

The ninja 250 or ninja 500 is a good bike to start on. The suzuki GS500 is also a great starter bike. You might also want to start on an enduro (e.g. DR200). If you had fun on the Honda dirtbike, an enduro is a very easy/inexpensive way to learn and won't suffer as much damage if you have a few beginner incidents.
Chukchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 08:57 AM   #9
SRMark
Founding Member

The 250 is great but see how well you fit on it vs. the Ninja 500 and 650. I'd lean toward the 650 but then that brings the Suzuki SV650 into the picture and the Moto Guzzi Breva 750 and Triumph Scrambler. Get to a bunch of shops and take a seat. You are new enough that everything will seem like the best thing. Keep riding that dirt bike too.
SRMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 09:00 AM   #10
SRMark
Founding Member

Toss up between a CR500 supermoto and a ZX14.
SRMark is offline   Reply With Quote