Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 06-07-2006, 11:21 AM   #31
eddyline
Founding Member

Default Re: BEGINNER ON TWO WHEELS

Hey Yogi! Glad to see you back!
eddyline is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-07-2006, 12:28 PM   #32
seruzawa
The Toad

Make sure you only make right mistakes!
Old 06-07-2006, 12:49 PM   #33
pdad13
Founding Member

Default Re: Beginner on Two Wheels.

The Breva 750 is a starter bike (by today's standards). It only makes about 50 hp. It's a fairly softly-tuned twin, so it's quite forgiving. It may be a smidge on the heavy side for a total newb, but not unmanagable.

Comparing displacement across different engine configurations and bike styles is always a dicey proposition.

It drives me a little nuts when I hear people ask "Is a XXXcc bike too big/small?"

It depends on the bike. (And the prospective rider.)
pdad13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 01:01 PM   #34
joconne
Founding Member

My son bought a ninja 250 about six months ago, also as his first bike, and it has worked out great for him. Excellent handling, peppy acceleration (to a point) and more than 70 mpg.
joconne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 01:03 PM   #35
Murphy123
Registered Member

You are very smart to go the MSF + Ninja 250 route. I went the same route last year but with the Ninja 500 which I loved. The 500 is a much better freeway bike. I Ihave

since "graduated" to a SV1000.

Dont let anyone talk you into any RR type sport bike of ANY size until you have 2 - 3000 mile under your belt. If I had started on a RR I might have been OK, but it would have been easier to be road kill also.

Stay Safe, Be Smart, Have Fun!
Murphy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 01:05 PM   #36
Tigercub
Founding Member

Can't shoot that one down!

PorkChopHill
Tigercub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 01:09 PM   #37
JohnJG
Registered Member

Honda Nighthawk 250. Bullet-proof engine, great gas mileage, straight up ergonomics (you sit up like normal) and its a Honda. Can't go wrong.

Bought my first one for $2K. When it came time to trade up to a bigger bike, sold it for close to $2k.
JohnJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 01:38 PM   #38
PeterH
Founding Member

Or caused their IQ
PeterH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 01:45 PM   #39
PeterH
Founding Member

When you get the Breva 1100 don't bother with the optional windscreen. Although it reduces the airflow to your chest it increases turbulance and noise levels dramatically in all four positions ( I find the lowest setting the least bothersome) and I won't put mine back on till winter. Great bike though--it really is a bigger, better 750 with a warm puppy dog feeling to it.
PeterH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 01:59 PM   #40
conchscooter
Founding Member

Florida allows riding over 50cc once you have passed the written test. Taking the MSF course ( or just their parking lot test) gets you a licence.

A beginners bike is as subjective as anything else. Buying used is always a good idea as that lets someone else eat the depreciation and makes changing bikes easier. Early on in your riding career you will want to try lots of different bikes as you discover what pleases you.

A high revving chain driven, complex to maintain twin seems like a lot for a beginner but a Ninja 250 is cute and capable. A valve adjustment for a Suzuki ES500 requires removing the carbs- a nightmare in your garage, a fortune spent in theirs. A dirt bike is great if you have long legs and like listening to knobbies whine on the black top; a Breva is gorgeous if you have $6,000. Ah the compromises.