Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 05-16-2006, 11:04 AM   #1
anrajala
Founding Member

Default Re: Must Ride Roads in UK.

The only must be road in the U.K. is the fastest one that takes you to Dover to a ferry across to the continent.

There are 61 million people on that little island + millions of tourists and traffic to match. Bloody expensive but no good weather or wine. Not to mention the women donĀ“t shave their legs.

- cruiz-euro

anrajala is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-16-2006, 12:20 PM   #2
tomk2
Founding Member

I'd pass, there's a lot of crazy drivers in the UK...

back when I was touring over there with my rugby club I drove the bus for maybe 5 blocks max and I musta seen 100 people driving on the wrong side of the road!

rude arseholes too, all honking and screaming & flipping me off
tomk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 02:11 PM   #3
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Try the M1 at about 5 pm. Bring a lunch.
Old 05-17-2006, 12:28 AM   #4
xlr8r
Founding Member

Pay no attention to previous posters: take advice instead from someone who lives there - me. The roads are fine, it's just that the urban areas and the motorways get crowded. It's a small island, so don't expect roads that go on forever or scenery like you get in Montana, although Scotland's pretty good. In England the scenic roads are hidden away in little stretches only ten or fifteen miles long, often very twisty: you have to make a scale adjustment if you're used to the Big Country. When you get here, buy a Michelin road map for the parts you're going to: map numbers 501, 502, 503. and 504 cover the whole country. The roads marked in yellow are specially picked out to be the ones with less traffic. The ones with a green edge are the ones with the scenic views. So find yellow roads with a green edge on the map, and enjoy. Michelin are rarely wrong on this. And welcome to the UK. Enjoy your visit.
xlr8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 03:49 AM   #5
Emzedder
Founding Member

Depends where you will be. You won't be able to cover a huge area in only two weeks. Scotland would be good to get away from the traffic. Anywhere in North Wales is good for scenery and decent twisty roads. If you are around Derbyshire/Yorkshire, try and get to Matlock Bath on a Sunday, and while you are around there, try and take in the A537 (Cat & Fiddle), although it can be heavily policed on the weekends. If you are in North Yorkshire on the 16th to18th June would be worth taking in the Farmyard Party (big bike rally) near Helmsley. Are you heading over to the Isle of Man for the TT while you are here? Wherever you end up, a good tip would be to take some decent waterproofs!
Emzedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 07:11 AM   #6
gxser
Registered Member

Thanks to the last two posters. Its been about 15 years since I last rode in England, Scotland and Wales. I knew the first few posts were trolls. Ah well...this is the internet.

My itinerary? Well, I don't really have one. I'm just going to wander. I won't be making it to the IOM. Perhaps another year. I already have my waterproofs. I'm thinking/hoping weather won't be any worse than a N.Cal winter. I suppose I could be wrong...especially in Scotland. I know the road through Glen Coe is spectacular (scenery). I'm not needing to do 120mph so the back roads will be great. Better watch out for sheep, especially in Wales.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm sure I will check out at least some of the suggestons. Cat and Fiddle was already on there.

Cheers!
gxser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 07:13 AM   #7
gxser
Registered Member

Oh, and for those of you that might be interested:

http://spod.cx/speedcameras.html

Speed camera locations in the UK mapped.
gxser is offline   Reply With Quote