Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 05-12-2006, 12:40 AM   #81
rwven
Registered Member

Default Re: Buell XB9S vs. SV650

Or, you could wait a few months and buy a new Fischer. You'd have the SV motor (built by Hyosung in Korea) and a "sexy" American designed and built (shall we say assembled) frame and body. In a year or so a supercharged version is expected.

http://www.fischer1.com/
rwven is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-12-2006, 12:49 AM   #82
stoney8888
Founding Member

Default Re: kp drive a lexus but cannot afford a new ricer?

I don't think that they make a diesel lexus either
stoney8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 12:58 AM   #83
stoney8888
Founding Member

"kind of want to get it painted with new wheels before I move in to the new place"

well well getting a new single wide trailer with new wheels and paint to boot. really moving up.
stoney8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 12:59 AM   #84
boru4761
Registered Member

Thanks.

Just when I think I am getting over my fascination with all things Buell...
boru4761 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 01:03 AM   #85
pplassm
Founding Member

Default Re: kp drive a lexus but cannot afford a new ricer?

He's gotta provide a nice home for the poodle, pekinese and yorkie.
Old 05-12-2006, 01:06 AM   #86
pplassm
Founding Member

Default Re: You can't fight in here..

It's Nuclear warfare, boys! Toe-to-toe with the Rooskies!
Old 05-12-2006, 02:05 AM   #87
BikerJC
Founding Member

An SV1K is definitely a better comparison - big power (though not as much torque as you'd expect, its still a "midrange-top to end power" motor) brakes that work and an adjustable suspension. Sounds exactly like a TL1000 too, even if it isn't as fast or as mean to ride. The 650 is a budget commuter, no bones about it. I wouldn't compare a stock SV to an XB directly, but mine with GSXR suspension and brakes, 40lbs off the wet weight, and a solid bump in power from a tuned race motor would definitely give an XB nightmares. That's the beauty of the SV - it's like a Ducati Monster, it's almost built to be modified if you have the interest and some talent with a wrench.

Getting back to the 1K, I personally find it rather big, heavy and slow-witted in the handling department. It's sneaky fast in the best possible way and is a nice bike to ride, but it just feels portly next to a 650 or an XB. The adjustable suspension helps, but it just doesn't make up for the extra 60-odd pounds its hauling around. The Buell's chassis geometry makes it feels like a 250 regardless of how much it weighs, but try it before you decide, I found it irritatingly twitchy for my riding style.
Old 05-12-2006, 02:11 AM   #88
BikerJC
Founding Member

Default Re: Fire in the Hole!!!!!

Well, 'sounding good' can have different meanings to different people.

My friend has an XB12 with a stage 1 Screaming Eagle kit - it sounds like a Duramax diesel. My SV with a Hindle system and an open airbox sounds like a Ducati 748R with the track kit fitted. Another friend's SV1K with de-baffled stock pipes sounds like an Apache attack 'copter. You pick which one you think would sound better.

Old 05-12-2006, 02:22 AM   #89
daver
Registered Member

I owned a 2001 SV650. Rode it for a year, put 13,000 miles on it. Bought a Yamaha FZ1 in 2002, which I still own with 33,000 miles on it.

The SV was a great ride. Quick, nimble, versatile (regular commutes during the week, overnighters with soft luggage on the weekends). Went for the FZ because I wanted more top-end power and the ability to carry a girlfriend in more comfort. That said, if you're thinking of two-up riding, consider an SV1K.

I haven't riden a Buell, so I can't comment on the difference in ride, etc. The cost difference is a factor, because if you have constrained resources (which many of us have) you're also looking at opportunity costs with the Buell: what things must you give up or not do because you've put your money into the bike instead of having it available for something else? Like luggage. Like overnighters. Like repair and maintenance.

Twenty years from now, I'd much rather tell the grandkids about WHERE I rode instead of WHAT I rode.

daver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 03:02 AM   #90
naco_traficante
Registered Member

Default Good Idea - Go SV1000s

I like sv1000rider's idea - my last bike was an SV650 and I thought it was a capable commuter but not exciting. I test-rode a Buell (only once) and was not impressed by the motor or transmission. However the SV1000 is an overlooked liter-class twin and you can probably get a good deal.
naco_traficante is offline   Reply With Quote