Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 05-12-2006, 12:27 PM   #131
SuperBill
Founding Member

Default The Milk Crate Ain't The Only K-Custom Item!

You got a window on the Ninja????
SuperBill is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-12-2006, 01:30 PM   #132
bigdx
Founding Member

Default Re: kp drive a lexus but cannot afford a new ricer?

You have a daschund schitz tu cross, a poodle, a pekinese and a yorkie and you want us to believe you are not gay?
bigdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 02:14 PM   #133
ksquid
Banned

Sorry you ain't my type bigdx..

ksquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 04:10 PM   #134
BikerJC
Founding Member

Default Re: Buell XB9S vs. SV650

Sing, my pretty.

Idle

http://www.nbriders.ca/albums/testas...SV700R_001.mov

Onboard

http://www.nbriders.ca/albums/testastretta/SV_R_001.mov
Old 05-12-2006, 04:51 PM   #135
Slaughter
Founding Member

I currently race a Buell XB9, raced an SV and the Buell in the same season and on the same days.

They're both great bikes in different ways.

The SV MUST have a bunch of work to the suspension on both ends to get it working properly. You MUST get a different shock and many people modify gsxr shocks (I put on a Penske) - but you must use about double the spring rate because of the links - can't just bolt on a gixxer shock. To get a front end equivalent to the Buell, you need to change to gixxer forks/wheel/brakes. By that time, you've got more money in it than the Buell.

You can install cartridge emulators in the forks but you can only change damping by changing oil and have to change preload by installing/removing spacers. There are preload adjusting kits but I ran mine with the gixxer front end.

You need to consider braided brake lines for the SV as well as the stockers are pretty spongey and you don't get a good brake "feel"

I've crashed both bikes (4 times on the Buell, 5 times on the SV - hey I was a novice then, cut me some slack!!) and despite its reputation, the XB crashes really well - the frame holds up.

I had a violent highside on the XB in Turn 1 at Willow Springs that did not bend the frame (did mash in the sides a bit) - and I totally broke the SV frame in a pretty mild low-side in turn 3. I know that's not a scientific comparison but the XB does crash better than it's been said to. (though I was in a wheelchair for almost 3 months - the bike did much better)

Recent Pic at the link below is my racebike after fixing crash damage - note you can see dent in the frame/fuel tank but it's still straight. I have Jeff Dixon racing it now for me and Bartels until I get back on at the end of the season.

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-...36/883left.jpg

I've ridden both on the street and again, the SV needs suspension work or you're only going to get frustrated if you do any "canyon carving."

Neither bike really needs engine work though for some reason EVERYBODY seems to need to screw around with the engine before they learn to ride the bike properly. Both do quite well on stock horsepower with only minor modifications which don't affect reliability

Both bikes handle nicely with properly setup suspensions, using proper tire seletions and pressures.

The XB does seem more sensitive to proper suspension setup and responds more to small adjustments. I feel many of people's bad impressions of the XB's handling are due to improper preload and possibly bad damping settings. The SV has almost no suspension adjustability.

Whichever way you decide to go, spend your money on suspension and track days to learn your bike before messing with the motor. Track time will make you a MUCH better and faster rider quicker than horsepower ever will!!!
Old 05-12-2006, 06:52 PM   #136
sv1000rider
Founding Member

Dude, that was an insightful post. Thanks!
sv1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 07:15 PM   #137
schizuki
Founding Member

"I have a daugter [sic]"

You reproduced? God help us.

Hard to believe you shut your mouth long enough to f***.

Bill Clinton and Chuck Schumer are praising the Supreme Court for overturning an anti-gay-marriage law that they both signed.
schizuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 08:44 PM   #138
BMW4VWW
Founding Member

She's a step daughter schizuki. He's still waiting for his testicals to drop.
BMW4VWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 06:18 AM   #139
johnnyquest
Registered Member

Default Re: Fire in the Hole!!!!!

I still can't figure out why kids stare and then wave at me in my neighborhood....it's just a red '90 BMW K75s.....perhaps it's my red scorpion helmet with dark visor and my bmw riding jacket...kinda makes me look like a power ranger

With that said, I hope to buy a newer bike in 2-3 years and unless someone builds a better mousetrap by then I'll either get a Buell or the BMW F800st. I really like the xb12ss lightning long, would absolutely love it if there were factory hard bags available for it....

JQ
Old 05-13-2006, 07:01 AM   #140
priday
Founding Member

There's one in every crowd....

Some guy who actually knows what he's talking about. (-:

Great post, man.

In particular..., the suspension setup is exactly as you describe; sensitive to small adjustments, and CRITICAL to the bikes handling and the whole riding experience.

I'm a bit (!) heavier than most, and when I got my XB12 it was set up for somebody that weighs about 150-160. I'm about 240. Once I got it right, the clouds parted, the birds sang and a ray of light shone upon me. It was that much of a difference.

Shiny side up!

Horsepower is an illusory mathmatical equation; Torque is Real, and is the source of all good things in the world.
priday is offline   Reply With Quote