Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 05-09-2006, 08:43 PM   #61
caffine
Registered Member

Default Re: What is it about Harley-Davidson?

Geeze, I don't know.

What is a "Love Boat"?

Have you found somebody to paint your Ninja yet?
caffine is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-10-2006, 01:07 AM   #62
bigdx
Founding Member

"To be fair, the changes that most manufacturers apply to their bikes, HD included, are changes for better performance, reliability, whathaveyou."

That is what I would call being economical with the truth.

Jap manufacturers change and upgrade their bikes to make the previous models obsolete. If you rode a 2004 model GSXR in 2004, you were the man. Ride it now and youÂ’re not quite the man any more. Each year the Japs cause their previous yearÂ’s models to fall into obsolescence in order to move the new models.

"HD just does it less frequently."

Yep, and they do that for good reason. Look at most Harleys on the road and you cannot tell what model it is. HD knows that the folks who buy their bikes see them as an investment and therefore protect the value of the bikes that leave the dealer floors. Japs couldnÂ’t care jack and deliberately devaluate your investment for their own profits.

bigdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 01:07 AM   #63
pplassm
Founding Member

Squid, you're starting to sound like Stern ("I invented everything, Robin. Tell'em Fred! Hoo Hoo.")

Old 05-10-2006, 01:11 AM   #64
bigdx
Founding Member

Default Re: Are you looking at the same chart I am

Only when I f*ck your wife. She is way to dirty and *****y to take inside my home ... she'll steal something for sure.
Old 05-10-2006, 01:29 AM   #65
bigdx
Founding Member

You are assuming he has balls Â… I think when kp wakes up in the morning the only things he can rub are his eyes.
Old 05-10-2006, 02:43 AM   #66
gearider
Founding Member

Last week I sold my 2003 Harley Low Rider. I had gotten tired of every time I looked around, there I was. It seems that most people on the planet have one and I have always enjoyed being a little different.

With that said, the Low Rider was the most mechanically sound, comfortable and most beautiful motorcycle I have ever ridden. In the last five years I have had 7 motorcycles and every one of them had anything from minor to major issues except for the Harley. Below is a run down of problems.

2000 Honda CB750 - Washed the bike one day and could never get it to run smooth again. It would miss and sometimes the motor would die. I worked on it, I took it too mechanics who worked on it and everyone seemed dumb founded by the issue. I sold it.

2000 Honda ST1100 - I bought it in the middle of winter. It was 35 degrees outside and the bike overheated in slow moving traffic. It contiuned to overheat anytime I was in slow moving traffic. Honda could not fix it. I sold it.

2002 Honda VTX1800 (came out in 2001) - Fouled plugs every 600 miles, fuel pressure regulator went out, radiator hose came loose, radiator cap stuck leaving constant overflow on the ground. I fixed everything but could not figure out the fouling of plugs and neither could Honda engineers. I got tired of first replacing the $14.95 X 4 plugs and once I got smart cleaning them. It was smoking (too rich) at 11,000 miles. I sold it.

2002 Honda 919 - Bike would not start after it got wet. The kick stand switch that keeps the bike from starting when it is down was bad. Other than that this bike was excellent. I sold it.

2003 BMW R1150RT - The bike's fuel injection was so bad that the bike stuttered and hesitated very noticeably in the 1500 - 4000 RPM range. I understand that a lot of the R1150RT's did this. Anyway I did not like it. It used a quart of oil every 1000 +/- miles. I was told that was normal until break-in at around 35,000 miles. I sold it.

2003 Harley Low Rider - I rode it for 19,000 miles and sold it last week. It was the most trouble free bike I have ever owned. Like I said earlier I just got tired of seeing so many of them on the road but that is a testament to the excellence of the bike. I Sold it.

2004 Honda 919 (yes I love this bike) - I bought this bike and rode it home to find that it had two holes in the right side of the head. Took it back to Honda and it was a bad casting from the factory. They replaced the head, valves, cams, etc. completely under warranty. IÂ’m still riding it.

I love my HondaÂ’s even with the little to not so little issues I have had with them. I have friends who ride them 20,000+ miles a year without any problems. I loved my Harley also and believe that the quality is equal to any Japanese counter part but IÂ’m a sport bike guy at heart, even at 47 years old.

I ride between 15,000 and 17,000 miles a year with the exception of last year when my wife had cancer.
gearider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 03:59 AM   #67
seruzawa
The Toad

He can't paint it until he finds out how to get it to stop in less distance than a Mean Streak.
Old 05-10-2006, 04:08 AM   #68
gniewko
Registered Member

Belts work well and are reliable when there isn't too much power to be transmitted (so they work well on Harleys . If you bump up the power, you either give up reliability or you need a crazy wide belt. Belts are good for certain applications, but they're not "the best drive train". For example, you would never want a belt off-road or for racing. In those applications, belts are "the worst drive train".
gniewko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 04:11 AM   #69
gniewko
Registered Member

Please don't take this the wong way, but cruisers are for old fat guys with small ****s.
Old 05-10-2006, 04:15 AM   #70
gniewko
Registered Member

A bike is not an investment. It's transportation, or fun, or whatever, but it's not an investment. If you want an investment, buy some mutual funds or something.