Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 05-09-2006, 10:50 AM   #11
bluesman_ip
Founding Member

Default Re: What is it about Harley-Davidson?

Do not know about H-D in US, but on this side of the pond MOST H-D riders (not all, but 90%) rarely:

1. Greet non-HD riders

2. NEVER stop to help if you are riding jap, specially sport and broke down.

3. Think they are salt of the earth even if they ride twice a year on sunny wather and demonstratively ignoring you in group f bikes somewhere on side of twisty road on god day.

4. Keen to tell you that you know nothing about bikes and that jap bikes are "mass-production crap" even if you just build your own streen from junk and they riding Glide covered in chromed eagles.

5. On charity rides tend to ride in the middle of the road NEVER letting you to pass by when you tired of loud sound from straight pipes.

I am impartial to makes as long as person riding bike is not bad person. But I do not tolerate people who forget about two-wheeled fraternity and enjoy being snobs without grounds. This is what wrong about H-D here: H-Djust happened to be in bad spot to be most appreciated by numerous prats.

Ah, yes - loads of these people do not think twice before riding while drunk and the do ride badly, because when you are RUB you got enough money to pay fines instead of spending it on riding school. Shame, especially as V-Rod truly is a VERY good bike in it's category. And rest of them just is what they are - retro-styled, fun, comfortable and nice to ride overpriced bikes.

It's not bikes, it's people that make bikes look bad. Recently on street of Cincinnatti I saw horribly fat and overweight stupid idiot on Busa wearing just t-shirt, flipflops, shorts and dark glasses - well, he is not any better than rich show-off riding shinly H-D FatBoy.
bluesman_ip is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-09-2006, 10:53 AM   #12
ValkBandit
Registered Member

you may find that owning one is not as satisfying as you'd hoped it would be.

then again, you may find that you LOVE hawg ownership.

there is only one way to find out which camp you fall in.

i could see myself owning a hawg, but never as an only bike ... or even a third bike. if i were a rich man i'd buy one tomorrow. but since i'm not, and not likely to ever be, i'll probably remain hawgless.

if i wanted a cruiser it would more likely be a rocket iii, which can both trundle and roar.
ValkBandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 10:59 AM   #13
Fenton
Founding Member

A Prius is a sports car?
Fenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 11:09 AM   #14
bigdx
Founding Member

Default KP doesnÂ’t earn enough to buy a Harley

And now has to ride around on a ‘01 vintage smallbore I4 rice burner … blissfully unaware that I4’s are inferior in both WSB and MotoGP racing.

To give some meaning to his miserable little gay life he has embarked on a 'bash the Harley' campaign. Oh yes, he pretends to be an executive and a pilot too.

bigdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 11:10 AM   #15
Tigercub
Founding Member

"But if I get one, how do I keep it from being stolen? And what's the truth behind the mutterings that some parts, like drive belts, still aren't reliable or that some parts on a Harley will rust in the rain?"

Don't worry about it being stolen - lock it like you would any other bike.

Drive belts have been on Harley's since the early '80s. They are the best drive train - no maintenance and will last forever. I have a '92 Electraglide with over 80k miles, the original drive belt and haven't adjusted it since I can't remember when. I have a primary drive belt on my Norton that's lasted forever. Belts are way better than chains!!

Some parts will rust. So what? I rust in the rain. You can shine that bike right back to show-room condition years after you bought it.

You will never regret buying a Harley.

Tigercub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 11:14 AM   #16
bigdx
Founding Member

Harleys have been the most inexpensive bikes I have ever owned. I am way too cheap to waste money on rice ever again ...
bigdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 11:35 AM   #17
tripletango
Founding Member

Maybe a Dyna Sport if you can find one. If you can't find a good one then get a Moto Guzzi.

Reliable as hell and easy to work on.

The new ones are pretty stylish.

My V11 Cafe Sport even interests the HD guys. Lots of questions. Maybe because it is an old and respected marque.

Same big thump and lots of torque.

More sporty exhaust note not necessarily so dam loud and that ain't so bad!
tripletango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 11:40 AM   #18
V4Roar
Founding Member

There's only three things you can't do on a Harley... unfortunately those things are go, stop, and turn.

But seriously folks...

Dude, if you want one and can afford one, get one. Why would you care what any of us think? Harley's are about image, about looking good, and if they look good to you, and you like your image on a Harley, good for you.

This gray pony-tailed old phart retired road racer can't cope for ten minutes with the lack of performance that is a Harley, but if cruising and posing and styling is your thing, and your idea of fast is double digit MPH and only in a straight line, then get yourself a Harley, all the others are imitators.

Enjoy, and phuque what anybody else thinks.

V4Roar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 11:42 AM   #19
Dangerousdave_2
Registered Member

Wouldn't it be great if a couple of those idiots hit each other head on? They're the kind of people that give the rest of us a bad name, and sometimes get you forced off the road. It's happened to me twice, when I was just minding my own business.
Dangerousdave_2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 11:53 AM   #20
ksquid
Banned

Default Re: KP doesnÂ’t earn enough to buy a Harley

Like fish in a barrel... Like fish in a barrel...
ksquid is offline   Reply With Quote