Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 05-11-2006, 05:27 AM   #141
gearider
Founding Member

Default Re: What is it about Harley-Davidson?

I agree I have had some rotten luck with Honda's. I know they are excellent bikes/cars/lawn mowers/tillers/etc. But I have had some bad luck with them. I have a Honda Civic with 92,000 miles on it. It has had it share of issue's.

I have ridden Honda's most of my life with good luck until around the year 2000 and everything started going south.

I have thought about getting a Buell. I wonder if there is a primary chain tensioner made for them? That would make them almost maintenance free.
gearider is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-11-2006, 05:40 AM   #142
ValkBandit
Registered Member

errrrr .... okaaayyyyy ....
ValkBandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 06:56 AM   #143
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

The primary chain tensoner is me with a big wrench every 10,000 miles.

Go ride one, you'll be hooked.
Old 05-11-2006, 08:38 AM   #144
rubberdown
Registered Member

BLAHAHAHAHA Hey Man, you've got me pegged allright! See ya soon I hope.
rubberdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 08:43 AM   #145
HWG1200
Registered Member

I bought a used 97 HD Sportster last year on eBay. A friend tried it out and told me it didnÂ’t have enough power to get out of the way. He thought the plugs were fouled. I took it to an HD dealer and later that week they had it back to peak condition. I thought I had a new bike. I use it to commute to work M-F and tool around town after that. I get only 47 mpg. I have all the speed I want and donÂ’t even get into 5th gear. I would like a little more torque without having to down-shift but big deal. My bike has run great since the dealer restored it.

A lot of folks here have mentioned the Harley image. IÂ’ve tried to avoid that. IÂ’m proud of my bike unless I take it to some HD dealer event. Then my little Sportster looks rather puny next to all the DynaÂ’s and Fatboys and Glides. Most of the people I see there are all dressed up in barely-used leathers, dirty bandanas and seem overly proud of their ability to hold up a beer when their picture is made. Where are these people Monday through Friday?

I have considered upgrading my bike and have looked at more expensive HarleyÂ’s as well as HondaÂ’s and BMWÂ’s but when I run the numbers, I keep coming back to my little Sportster. I calculate it depreciates only $157/year. There is a lot to look at as you decide but please donÂ’t look at the biker image.

HWG1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 09:36 AM   #146
bigdx
Founding Member

"I think that it shows that it's far more likely that the obsolescence is only caused by market forces, rather than deliberate actions by the Japanese industry as a whole"

So what market/competition forces come to bear on a product like the GSXR 750 R? Suzuki upgrades it every year making the previous model obsolete, yet is the only manufacturer that makes 750 sports bike. In the total absence of competition, why upgrade if not for planned obselecence.

"The only way that it would be "employed" by the industry (as opposed to actually just improving things as it becomes viable with technology) is if they knew ahead of time what improvements they were going to make"

And they donÂ’t? For just about every year since the early 80Â’s Suzuki sport bikes have had improved performance levels with each new model. YouÂ’re going to be surprised if the 2007 GSXR is lighter and more powerful than the 2006?

SuzukiÂ’s 240 + hp MotoGp motor was not sourced out of a Sears catalogue. They know very well how to produce 240 + hp per liter motors that run reliably. They can easily upgrade hp on the current GSXR 160hp motor by small increments for the next 10 years with zero new technology.

"had an agreement amongst themselves not to "jump ahead" in the upgrade schedule."

And they donÂ’t? Suzuki and Kawasaki share production lines; that seems like quite an "agreement" no?

"This implies deception by the bike manufacturers. I'm not saying it's impossible, just too far-fetched to believe."

Yep, big companies like ENRON would never deceive the public ?

"The sport bike market is what it appears to be: Very, very competitive."

Yes, that it is. Even more so is the SUV market. Note the ads are different (comparing against competitors) and very little by way of planned obsolescence.

bigdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 11:37 AM   #147
Mike_L
Registered Member

You on for Maxton next weekend? If you want I could bring those saddlebags you loaned me forever ago. You can probably fold them up and stuff them in the bags on the BMW.
'98 KTM 250 E/XC
'99 Z50R
'01 XR100R (wife's toy)
Mike_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 04:04 PM   #148
kn
Founding Member

Default Re: Is that JB?

No, it's me. Not JB. Not the Harley marketing department. (I did get a little carried away towards the end of my post, didn't I?) Just a 53 year old guy getting off on his first motorcycle, bought last summer, and wondering what's next. I stopped by the dealer where I bought my M50 and tried sitting on a Stratoliner. That's a nice bike. And it's being offered for demo rides this Saturday. Also the nearest H-D dealer is offering demo rides this Saturday, too. I know how I'm spending my Saturday morning! Thanks for all the comments. Many of them have been helpful. I will find something that I like and I will ride the heck out of it. And if I see you on the road, I will wave to you no matter what you're riding or what I'm riding.
kn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 03:20 AM   #149
anrajala
Founding Member

Default Re: Did you actually read the post before you responded?

Unfortunately I read it.

The basic logic was that you should buy technology that is not modernized practically ever because it won´t get outdated. Meanwhile if you buy something that keeps up with the times, it will get outdated in two years. I am sorry but I will have to watch Wrestlemania couple of seasons more to really appreciate this.

- cruiz-euro

anrajala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 03:38 AM   #150
anrajala
Founding Member

I am sure it´ll all make sense at the end

- cruiz-eruo
anrajala is offline   Reply With Quote