Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 05-10-2006, 11:46 AM   #101
PASQUENELL
Founding Member

Default Re: What is it about Harley-Davidson?

I have a buddy who owns 2 HD franchises and here is the truth:

We don't sell them a bike , we sell them a life, they come in here wanting friends or women, We don't have to make the bikes better.

As a lifetime HD rider who got off in 2000 and started having fun riding again, Good luck,

If you love riding and not wannabe status you won't be on HD for long.

Do the math, how can 2 motors , 2 frames and 3 suspension systems, build 15 differant models ? , Duh ,cuz most of them don't work, but hey they sound cool ,

There are more american components on a Honda than Hd, the apeal of HD is from the non riding community, lawnboys, mid life crises boys, I gotta get laid boys, I have a small crank boys

So ride it if you like but don't wave to me, cuz the brotherhood of the road is about being on 2 wheels, far from home, experiencing life, not a 5 mile trip to a bar covered in some stupid logo

Ride safe
PASQUENELL is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-10-2006, 12:07 PM   #102
bigdx
Founding Member

Default Did you actually read the post before you responded?

bigdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 12:41 PM   #103
bigdx
Founding Member

Planned obsolescence (also built-in obsolescence (UK)) is the conscious decision on the part of an agency to produce a consumer product that will become obsolete and/or non-functional in a defined time frame. Planned obsolescence has great benefits for a producer in that it means a consumer will buy their product repeatedly, as their old one is no longer functional or desirable. It exists in many different products from vehicles to lightbulbs, from buildings to software.

Ignorance is bliss ...
Old 05-10-2006, 12:47 PM   #104
bigdx
Founding Member

I actually do not give a flying f*ck why you purchase or do not purchase anything, so please spare me your life stories. Yawn. The point of the thread pertains to the fact that owning Harley over the long run is not as expensive as the sticker price suggests when total cost and worth are taken into consideration.

As for your business and economic perspectives you clearly werenÂ’t an A student at school.

Old 05-10-2006, 01:04 PM   #105
bigdx
Founding Member

My my, angry little ricer arenÂ’t you?
Old 05-10-2006, 01:16 PM   #106
bigdx
Founding Member

"I have the option of either keeping my existing bike (which is great anyway), or paying more to trade up to the next model. "

Yep, you can ride the moral obsolete to coin your term or sink more cash. Over a period of 10 year I bought and sold 7 bikes, making a somewhat substantial loss each time. All the bikes were good but I was merely trying to keep up with the times.

"Don't you think that's a little boring?

Nope, been riding for 30 years and enjoying the Harleys more than any bike I ever owned. HD suite my riding style.

With Japanese sportbikes, current models would have won WSB and GP races 15 years ago."

So for the same given ride, you can finish your ride in half the time I take to do mine? I normally take detours to extend my rides. I guess if you get caught in the rain it may be of use?

Old 05-10-2006, 01:21 PM   #107
KillerKowalski
Founding Member

Lightbulbs and software != motorcycles.

Giving a title of the phenomenon doesn't make it true for bikes, nor does it mean that obsolescence is profitable. It may or may not be, but in the case of sportbikes, it would be difficult to be any other way.

Sportbikes do not become obsolete and/or non-functional. They are well engineered, cost a great deal to R&D, and (although they are "disposable") last a rather long time. They are, arguably, the best they can be, because that's the only thing that sells in that class.

The gains from one generation to another of sportbikes is small, as you point out, but it comes at great expense in R&D. It's not like they're just slapping 3hp and a 10lb weight savings onto a bike. The machines are already so focused that it takes great effort to effect those changes and sell the bike at a price the market will bear.

The Big Four compete heavily in the sportbike area. If one of them decided to make a sportbike that didn't one-up the one that came before it, they would soon find themselves without a real sportbike, and their competitors would beat them out of the class. It's simple, free-market economics.

The pressures of competition keep sportbikes advancing by steady, albeit small increments.

Either that, or there's an elaborate charade by the Japanese to give the impression that they are regularly implementing dozens of expensive changes to their bikes, for small real-world gains in performance.
KillerKowalski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 01:55 PM   #108
sarnali
Founding Member

On the geezer glide everyone else is angry because YOUR in the way....

I do take your point though. When I had sportbikes I was always so busy trying to shred corners and peg it on straights that I forgot how much fun it was just to roll along and look at the scenery. One of the nice things about my Trophy was that it was fun and comfortable just rolling along as well as shredding it.

The Dyna's like that too, not going to win any races but it'll crack 100 pretty easy and just flow along through the corners at a more reasonable pace.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 02:44 PM   #109
Buzglyd
Founding Member

A few weeks ago I happened across my old Low Rider. First time I'd seen it in the 4 1/2 years since I sold it. I miss that bike.

I sold it with 33,000 miles on it. 4 1/2 years later it had 37,000. Pity.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 02:47 PM   #110
Aussiebikerdave
Founding Member

KN, it sure sounds like you've secomed to the Motor Company mantra and may well be a lost cause but I would say before it is too late, don't be swayed by the majority but "go your own way"! Yep, before you throw in your lot with the V-twin crowd, slip down to your Triumph dealer and take a 2.3L Rocket III for a ride.

I promise you, V-twins won't seem so "cool" after that experience! The side benefits are that you will belong to the longest motorcycle tradition in the world (1902 V 1903), you'll be riding a stand out motorcycle, a torque monster thats eats V-twins any time any place, you won't look like every other cookie-cutter biker on the road, you will find a tight comerarderie amongst discerning riders who value performance, handling, enormous road presence along with the proud Triumph tradition. The only problem I've found is dealing with the old codgers every time I'm parked up somewhere. They all stand amazed before the Rocket and insist on sharing about the old Speed Twin or Bonnie that they used to ride way back in the fifties. What do Brando, Elvis, Steve McQueen and Tom Cruise have in common other than they were/are actors. They all rode Triumphs! Did I say something about tradition...?

Aussiebikerdave is offline   Reply With Quote