Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 05-08-2006, 02:13 PM   #21
staff
Registered Member

Default How do you know?

He could have rigged a left-side brake pedal or a thumb brake.
staff is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-08-2006, 02:37 PM   #22
rapier
Founding Member

Default Re: Post-Crash Blues

I've been in one minor bike wreck, concussion, and no car wrecks beyond slow speed fender benders. I didn't start on bikes again till a few years later but that was really a money issue. My accident was on a borrowed bike while in college. I had ridding thru high school.

So I got a bike again after 6 years without and the accident in between. I was ultra cautious, and still am, except at much higher speeds.

To get to the point. Does this fear of driving pertain to cars as well. Has anyone had a seriouis car wreck and been a wreck driving later? Of course a car is a necessity, bikes are not.

rapier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 09:46 PM   #23
svtech
Registered Member

You haven't provided much info as to your age, presumed level of expertise (by you), circumstances surounding the interstate moderate speed crash and a whole bunch of other pertinent factors.

That said, I agree with the above posters who recommend an MSF course or something similar in a learning environment to, if not increase, at least reinforce your perception of your own skills and your ability to control that which CAN be controlled.

After that, I'd suggest getting a mid-sized dual sport of your favorite color and ride the snot out of it for a month or two on the back roads, boonies, fire roads, trails, - whatever you have in your area.

And, if you're new to this posting, don't forget a couple of cliches:

1. There are only two kinds of motorcycle riders. Those who have been down and those who are going down.

2. Do it in the dirt 'til you get it right.

And yes, I've been down. But the one that hurt the worst happened after I'd done something stupid. Dirt dosen't hurt as much (acording to my limited non-representative small sample opinion).

svtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 06:10 AM   #24
Jvliv
Registered Member

Just like everyone here says, just get back out there and ride. If it was fun for you before, it will be fun again. Last summer my son lowsided his motorcycle on the Pacific Coast Highway while we were on our way to Laguna Seca. I watched as he slid across the road in front of about 80,000 pounds of dump truck. His bike was damaged, his pride was hurt and he was a little sore. Fortunately we were able to get the bike running and finished the ride. That was the rest of the way to Laguna Seca, and then back to Washington state after the races. jvliv
Jvliv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 08:38 AM   #25
gas_pig
Founding Member

My first bike (which I still have) was a DRZ400S. I bought it mostly for off-road, but wanted to be street legal. I can't tell you how many times a fell off that thing in the dirt. Learned to ride it hard, fast, and loose in the dirt before riding on the road. I've also gathered good "exit stragety" reflexes for departing the bike once I realize all will be lost.

I remember when I took my MSF cource watching a couple people fall over and they rode their bikes into the ground (at slow speed). Yikes!

I still have somewhat spectacular crashes off-road from time to time but I like to push myself in that enviornment and I wear a lot of protective gear (from day 1).

My FZ1 is what I ride on the street most days now but that dirt experience definately pays off.
Old 05-09-2006, 10:53 AM   #26
jhenzie
Founding Member

Totalled my Z750S in January, minor injuries to me, just enough to remind me I am mortal.

I got back on a new bike within two weeks. I was very cautious for a month or so, but I feel that I am on the road to riding recovery now.

I bought an R1100s with ABS because I wanted some added confidence and I have to say that bike itself gives me more confidence than the Z ever did.

Don your leathers and lid and get amongst it.

Good luck.

jhenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 05:08 AM   #27
pushrod
Founding Member

Kawazuki,

I gotta ask,

How did you get into a situation where you ended up lowsiding on an Interstate?

My "war story": I made it through a head-on with an out-of-control Subaru on the Dragon three years ago. As soon as I healed up (shattered right forearm), his insurance bought me another Sprint ST.

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 03:20 PM   #28
kawazuki
Founding Member

Getting ready for a lane change, looked over my right shoulder to check my clearance, and when I looked back, the guy I had been behind was a lot closer and had his brake lights on. I was leaned over and my front tire was on the stripe, and when I squeezed the brake lever, it just fell down right now bang.

-Kawazuki

kawazuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 03:24 PM   #29
kawazuki
Founding Member

Many thanks to all those who posted responses. It's been two weeks since "splat day". The bruises are mostly faded, and the road rash is mostly healed. I just got back from an over night trip (in the car) and the whole way back I was thinking how nice the trip would have been on a bike...

I guess my 3-day-old fear of bikes is getting over itself pretty quick.

I really like the suggestions of taking the advanced rider course. I think that's going to be my next stop before I go out on the street again. (Of course, i have to get something to go out on the street on...)

-Kawazuki
kawazuki is offline   Reply With Quote