Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 05-08-2006, 05:51 AM   #11
LiionsRest
Registered Member

Default Re: Post-Crash Blues

My only serious crash wasn't really that bad, and almost 3 decades ago. It stiffened me up a good bit for about a couple of weeks, where I was riding almost too cautiously, and at one point I almost had another crash... I knew it was because I was over thinking everything and had a deathgrip on the handlebar. That moment made me realize if I didn't loosen up and calm down, I was much less prepared for the worse than if I remained hyper-alert and all tensed up.

That being said, I'm still finding myself struggling to relax, especially on highways over 65 MPH. That kind of riding is new to me and is taking some mental effort to relax.

And there's the point I want to make, is that even though I have to sometimes force myself to calm down and relax and loosen up on the grips, I still love it.

If you still love to ride, you'll find a way to overcome the apprehension. Just immerse yourself in the immediate riding experience to the point the memory of the crash gets crowded out. Sights, smells, temperature differences will help.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-08-2006, 05:57 AM   #12
AlRomo
Founding Member

Hey Kawazuki,

You are alive, you have all your body parts!!!...

Then, just do it. Get your riding gear again and ride. Instead of spending the time asking your sefl why, why me, how it happened, etc, etc; think how to use that experience in your benefit... Fear is natural of humans.

Riding a bike is in your soul, in your blood, so do it my friend.

Last March 12th´05 a car hitted me on behind. I was starting moving on a green light, and sudenly, it hitted me and send me against a concrete wall 3ft tall x 6ft wide x 1 ft thick. I broke my two femur, left knee, right side tibia with 2 exposed fractures on it, also my left shoulder was broken and two fingers of my right hand. The car run away!!!... My baby BMW R1100S was destroyed. Thanks to my FULL gear, specially the helmet, I´m alive...

My dreams, my bike, my health, my life were destroyed. I spent a month at the hospital, and another moth on a bed. I was in PAIN all the time and depending on my family for EVERYTHING...

I have in bone titanium nails and screws in different parts of my body. and now I am recovering. I´m walking again with the temporarily help of a cane and let me tell you something, I WANT TO RIDE AGAIN. I WON´T QUIT. The accident have made some changes on me. I see life better and that is why I will enjoy it riding.

I only be more careful when I ride in town, I´ll watch more often my mirrors. I will use an aftermarket muffler for my new bike, because most of the times, bike´s Noise saves lifes.

Best Grettings.

Al Romo

MEXICO
AlRomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 05:57 AM   #13
drthompson65
Founding Member

I just lowsided my 999 yesterday on a back road in wisconsin. Five of us riding in a group with agreed upon pace, distance, etc (35mph, four second gap, etc). well bike is total, I'm fine (Shoei, Aplinestar full leather suit, gloves, boats, back protector) all did the job they where designed for. While I still rattle my marbles, I'm sore as hell I'm fine. This is only my second street accident in 24 years of riding. I'm looking at the new SR4S now.. wife wants me to give it up.. I can't.. Like everyone is saying, get back on!
2004 Ducati 999 Mono Yellow (Wrecked May 06)
2006 Ducati 999S Mono Black (Replaced Wife June 06)

1972-2000 A collection of mini, dirt, and road bikes to vast too list..
drthompson65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 06:09 AM   #14
Holy_Kaw
Registered Member

Just get on and ride, you're a better rider now than BC (before crash).

Maybe take advantage of your introspection to do a Class, School or Track Day and get even better.
Holy_Kaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 06:22 AM   #15
lwatcdr
Founding Member

Default Don't worry.

Your luck starts fresh with each crash!

If you want to keep riding then ride. Take another MSF course and or do some trackdays.

If you don't want to ride on the street anymore. Dirt bikes are a lot of fun.

If you don't want to ride at all any more that is your choice. It has nothing to do with your manhood. Each of us have to decide what is right for us. Frankly the idiots that are telling you to grow some new ones are just that, idiots. It takes more courage to do what you think is right then to do what other think you should do.

Good luck and I am glad you are all right.

lwatcdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 06:54 AM   #16
Casey_Daniel
Founding Member

Maybe take another look at how you view "luck". I crashed my bike and broke my tibia fibia in 5 places. Had plenty of time to think about how I f'd up while I was eating hospital food. I realized what I did wrong and decided to never make the same mistake. I went and bought a new bike (my friend had to hold my crutches while I sat on them). The first ride I went on was the same road I crashed on. Then I did a couple of track days and became an msf instructor. Everyone has to tackle there fears their own way. If you're not comfortable getting on a bike don't do it. If you can figure out what you want to change about your riding then get back on. Hopefully you can take the "luck" part out of the riding.
Casey_Daniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 09:58 AM   #17
lcarlson
Founding Member

There seems to be a common thread here: ride if you want to; don't if you don't -- common sense after all.

Five years ago, after twenty-five or so years of riding, I crashed when a wind-driven cardboard box dove under my front wheel -- eight broken ribs, one broken clavicle, and a partially collapsed lung had me in the hospital for five days and out of work for two months.

I was riding before I was back to work, and ride all the time today. My theory (or rationalization) is that there are a whole lot of things out there that can get me, and one of them eventually will. My guess is that while riding clearly has its risks, in the grand scheme of things, it probably doesn't increase my terminal risk all that much. Oh, and it sure is fun!
lcarlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 10:55 AM   #18
naco_traficante
Registered Member

I like that idea. Also congrats on swimming the highway and walking away in one piece.

naco_traficante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 12:18 PM   #19
PoppySTS
Founding Member

riding without being able to use the rear brake, that sounds safe
PoppySTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 12:20 PM   #20
PoppySTS
Founding Member

that is the stupidest, sappiest thing I've ever read. do you write for hallmark or something?
PoppySTS is offline   Reply With Quote