Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 05-03-2006, 05:02 AM   #1
cls
Registered Member

Default Re: Bike Recommendation?

There are a number of good choices, obviously, but I'd look hard at the Honda VTR1000 Superhawk. It's comfy for a sportbike; has a lot of torque and a wide power delivery; sounds awesome w/a set of pipes; handles great; not too many of them around; Honda fit/finish; and you can get them relatively cheap. throw on heli-bars, if you need more comfort.
cls is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-03-2006, 05:11 AM   #2
jnberry2004
Founding Member

This sounds weird, but I sold my VFR800 (almost the same genre of bike as a Sprint RS) and bought a KTM 950 Adventure as a replacement. Best move I ever made.

The 950 doesn't look a like a sporty sport-tourer, but it sure does the job, maybe even better than my VFR. Handles amazing on the street, and doesn't get tied up in knots in the really tight stuff like a sportier bike would. More comfortable on the longer hauls than the VFR was. Fantastic suspension, great brakes, and it's got loads of character (you certainly don't see them on every corner!!).

Add in the fact that you can do some pretty decent off-road work with it, and you've got maybe the best all-around bike in the world. In my opinion, of course. Good luck!
jnberry2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 05:31 AM   #3
acecycleins
Founding Member

Get a ZZR1200 leftover. Progressive & Dairyland have this bike in a sport tour or sport standard rating tier. Cheap to insure. It's got carbs but if you can live with that it's a good bike for daily use. BMW R bikes are a good chioce, as well.
Old 05-03-2006, 05:33 AM   #4
SmokeU
Registered Member

Bandit 1200, they are very very rare around here.
Old 05-03-2006, 05:36 AM   #5
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Does your wife make you sit backwards when you ride bytch?
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 06:18 AM   #6
bbtowns
Founding Member

The V-Strom or KTM 950 (or GS, Tiger, etc.) that was previously recommended are good choices, and add the option of a dirt road when you find them. The performance will be comparable, and the Strom is quite comfortable touring, the 950 could use a new seat in my experience.
Old 05-03-2006, 06:27 AM   #7
Mike955i
Registered Member

It's Deja Vu all over again; I did this very thing last year in that I sold my 2000 Sprint RS and purchased a new 2004 Speed Triple and would highly recommend it. I found the position on the RS to be too sporty for me with too much weight on my wrists (even with Genmar risers) and the S3 was the perfect change; much more upright, much more comfortable, that great triple motor and still a very capable sportbike (much more so than the RS).

The addition of a Laminar Lip made the bike comfortable for longer rides (400+ miles). FWIW...
Mike955i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 06:30 AM   #8
Mike955i
Registered Member

I see others are recommending the KTM 950 also so I'll add this comment to my recommendation for the S3; I added an 05.5 9510 Adventure to the garage this year and it's AWSOME! Excellent power and comfort in a do it all package. Might now be as sporty as you desire prefer but it's suprisingly capable. if I couldn't afford a few bikes it would be the 950 Adventure; the perfect everyday bike (IMO). FWIW...
Mike955i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 06:54 AM   #9
cls
Registered Member

The 950 is an awesome bike. I sold mine about 2 months ago. It's a great all-around bike and probably the best adventure-tourer going. Having said that, I just didn't like/trust the skinny tires or the high center of gravity for aggressive riding (The power is very responsive and broad, but not quite enough for sporting). It's also a pain to work on. Cool bike, though! FYI...
cls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 06:55 AM   #10
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Troublemaker.