Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 05-03-2006, 03:38 PM   #31
maximum07
Founding Member

Default Re: Bike Recommendation?

BMW R1150 R. Great in the twisties or on the highway. Tons of aftermarket add-ons to suit however you want to ride.
maximum07 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-03-2006, 04:04 PM   #32
nesbit
Founding Member

The Sprint is an evolved sport tourer, perhaps one of the best. Powerful, reliable, comfortable, and with a very well executed fairing for wind and weather. If your ready for a change and the sparse Triumph dealer network seems to be pushing you in that direction, there's a number of excellent options. The KTM 950 is NOT one of them! Objectivity is obviously not a characteristic shared by several MORONS who have recommended this machine, after reading your preferences. Every review praises the machine for its balanced performance on and off the road. But, and this is the essential fact attested to in every major MC media test. The 950 is not a long distance sport tourer in the mold of your prior RS. If you're looking for a better solution and can afford it, the GS1200 is better balanced for hours touring on the tarmac and light off-road duty. You need to decide what percentage of your riding will actually be on and off the highway. Then test ride the machines that meet your requirements. If you spend the better part of your riding on the tarmac - you did say "long trips and FJR", etc, you will not enjoy them on the KTM unless you're a minimalist masochist. Good luck!
nesbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 04:24 PM   #33
tokoloshgolem
Founding Member

There's a reason you don't see many of them.
tokoloshgolem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 05:13 PM   #34
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Yes the Z tech 600lb model should be the bees knees!
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 06:14 PM   #35
GSXRWolf
Founding Member

V-twins suck!
GSXRWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 06:52 PM   #36
jibosch
Registered Member

Triumph Speedc Triple or Honda 919... or a Buell if that floats your boat, I am suggesting a 'Streetfighter' type model if you ride the Urban Jungle more than 60% of the time, but lack of wind protection in all of these models can make it a bit of a pain, for long-distance highway trips, but your size may well overcome this. Good Luck! [Because of your height, BMW's may work well, if within your budget...].
jibosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 07:50 PM   #37
gforces
Founding Member

HAYABUSA!
gforces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 08:01 PM   #38
gforces
Founding Member

Default seriously, though...

I've been on a Hawk GT with stock suspension since 03, and just recently went out for a ride with my long best friend, who is no slouch in any way, and left him standing still in twisties. After, he was checking over my rear tire, as he thought it must have been melting because of how fast he said I was!

Needless to say, I was happy and grateful for his praise. I did hear my textile pant scrape the pavement as I reached out with my knee on one of the curves though. I'm always drooling over other bikes, but I wonder if I would have as much fun as I do on this hawk, and it is fun to dice it up with newer, more powerful, more expensive bikes and be faster on an 18 year old twin--it makes me look and feel like a really fast rider.

I'd better stop or my helmet won't fit in the morning.

HONDA HAWK GT
gforces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 12:58 AM   #39
jstrain
Founding Member

Alright, let me explain for Buz, haha. I'm selling my Sprint, and since I have nothing else to ride, I have to settle for the 250.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I love the XB9. Even test rode a couple of them last year, but for some reason, it just doesn't seem to be what I'm looking for for an only bike. I also love the Speed Triple, but after sitting on one at my dealer, I wasn't sure I wanted it for an everyday bike. I do plan on taking his demo out for a spin though!

I stopped by my Triumph dealer yesterday to drop off a seat cowl for my Sprint on consignment there. I wound up taking their 05 Sprint ST demo out for a ride. Unbelievable. I think I managed to answer my question.

Thanks for all the suggestions, but I think I'm gonna have to find one of these.
jstrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 02:14 AM   #40
jnberry2004
Founding Member

"I don't plan on using it for long trips, so I'm not looking for an FJR type bike . . ."

Read the post first.
jnberry2004 is offline   Reply With Quote