Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 04-20-2006, 08:30 AM   #1
anrajala
Founding Member

Default Re: Any experience with Royal Enfields?

Why would anyone focus on the hands-down worst PoS available in the market?

- cruiz-euro
anrajala is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-20-2006, 08:45 AM   #2
sconley
Founding Member

Plenty... I hopped mine up with a big bore kit and hotter cams, 32mm amul carb... Went from 12.8hp up to 26 +/-... Fun bike, requires attention but not a difficult bike to work on and keep in tune. I sold it to my friend a few years back, he's thinking of selling it (around 2300 bucks, very reasonable with two seats and three exhausts), contact me if you are in chicagoland area. For your first bike, you might want to concentrate on riding though, something with decent brakes (it's got drums front and rear). I'd look into a new triumph bonneville or thruxton if you really like this kind of bike... Older style, but modern technology. But if you don't mind occasionally wrenching, the RE bullet is a fun bike... Good luck!
sconley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 08:55 AM   #3
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

Well, actually I can completely understand why someone would "focus on the...worst PoS available in the market".

I think they are really fun in that all-to-real, retro styling.

Only problem is, they are really unreliable. I've read a large number of nightmare reviews about everything breaking on them. I've also heard it is a bit of a mistake to buy one unless you are REALLY good with a wrench.

But I've also read a few reviews from owners saying that the bike was somewhat trouble free.

Pretty much, if you buy one, it will be like buying a tiumph/norton/BSA from the 60's. It will most likely need a lot of attention. If you're good with a wrench and don't mind spending "a bit more time" in the garage with your bike than go for it.

Otherwise, go for a new Triumph if you want the retro look with reliability.
BrowningBAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 08:59 AM   #4
kwh
Founding Member

If it is your first ever motorcycle, then... no, don't. Really.

If you really like the look of bikes from the 1950's and 60's, get one of the modern bikes that shares that look. Triumph's Bonneville has to be a top choice, otherwise it's the Kawasaki W650, although the Bonneville is a better bike.

The Enfield isn't so much a modern bike styled to look like a 1950's clunker as a genuine 1950's klunker with the barest minimum of updates applied over the last 50 years to allow it to still be sold.

It's horrible to ride, unless you are on a masochistic nostalgia trip, slow and gutless in the extreme, bits will vibrate themselves loose and fall off if you do long trips on it or fail to go round it tightening everything up once a week. The brakes barely work by modern standards, the gearbox redefines klunky, etc etc.

It's also a heavy pig to manage.

So do yourself a favour. Don't!

Old 04-20-2006, 09:58 AM   #5
03zx12r
Registered Member

at well under 30 hp - this is not the best decision. A 250 Ninja will have more power, top speed, etc and a lot less weight. Some scooters have more power than that bike you are considering.
03zx12r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 10:29 AM   #6
Neal
Founding Member

If you want a bike to gas and ride,this aint it. if you want a fast bike or a reliable weekend tourer,this aint it. if you are a vintage bike type of guy who likes tinkering with stuff and want to use it to cruise around the local two lane...go for it. An aquaintance of mine (who races and wrenches vintage race bikes) had one. He had an article from somewhere that outlined some fixes you should do immediately. I believe he changed ignition and carb. the bike was stone reliable by vintage standards. Basically,like any vintage bike,you need to adjust and tighten constantly(and always remember "Locktite is your friend).

To summarize: If you want a modern bike,this aint it If you want a vintage bike this is an easy,cheap and relatively carefree way to get into it.
Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 10:39 AM   #7
rapier
Founding Member

India might become an economic powerhouse but as long as they are making Enfields I think we can conclude that manufacturing isn't where they are going to compete with us.

The genesis of this bike is insane. Import the decrepit tools and tooling of a defunct factory and then make the same piece of ***** product for FIFTY YEARS. (I always try to avoid web shouting but in this case I wish I could use 1000 point type)

The whole thing makes me proud, as an American, of Harley, and that takes some doing.

rapier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 10:52 AM   #8
BikerJC
Founding Member

I do not think it would be wise to get one for a first bike, unless you are a trained mechanic or an extremely fast learner. I'm not speaking from experience with Enfields, but I had a finicky Honda grey-market 400 in my second season and I nearly lost my mind trying to keep it on the road (it was a Honda for chrissake, they aren't exactly unreliable). I've learned a lot since then, but diving into the whole 'arm deep in grease' masochistic experience from day one doesn't seem particularly wise. You may get turned off from the start because you picked a finicky bike, and never return to the sport. That would be the worst tragedy.
Old 04-20-2006, 11:07 AM   #9
FloridaSteve
Founding Member

Default Wow. Are there some narrow minded folks on here.

First off. As a first bike (ever) No. Don't do it. I'm an avid vintage bike guy but I still own a modern ride for days I can't be bothered with reliability issues. If you already have a good solid reliable bike and have a desire to own a british classic (and want a dealer network to go with it) then this a a great bike. It doesn't look like and old bike. It is an old bike. With 50 years of production and tons of parts and upgrades.

To those of you who dismiss it as just an old POS (so why bother), I can't change your mind and won't try. Much as I hate this phrase I think it's appropriate in this case... "You just don't get it".

Believe it or not there is more to bikes than reliability and top speed and mileage. The best thing about motorcycling is that it's ultimately a personal experience. There is room for track addicts, Iron Butt maniacs, MotoX or even Orange County Choppers (well maybe not OCC), I don't understand their motivation though I get do the passion.
Old 04-20-2006, 11:38 AM   #10
SV650GLEN
Registered Member

From all the posts, it looks like you need to stay away from this bike!!!