Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 04-19-2006, 07:56 AM   #1
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

Default Re: Done with MSF Training Cass. Now What?

Are you saying that for your first bike you purchased an $18,000 bike?

Not the greatest starting point if that is what you did. But, if you just put down a large chunk of change like that, you may not mind throwing down another 2 or 3 grand and get the Kawi EX250 to learn on for the next few weeks/months. It's much lighter and easier to manage...and a lot cheaper to fix.

Or pony up $3500 to $4500 for a used SV to learn on and transform that into your track bike later.

You can always take the safety course again. No harm in that.

BrowningBAR is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-19-2006, 07:59 AM   #2
03zx12r
Registered Member

Ride, Ride, Ride. Get friends together and go find those fun twisty roads. Riding with others will allow you to see how they deal with issues on the street that might be different than you would handle them. I have been riding for 18 years and I am not an expert. I learn each time I ride. The best way to get more experience is to put your training in use and pratice those excercises you learned in class(i.e.-pushing on the bar in the opposite direction, etc..). If you have the capability to go to a riding course like super bike school, this will teach you some other items that MSF didnt get into. This might not be 100% usable on the street, but experience is experience and the more you "food for thought" you have the better. Keep the rubber side down.
03zx12r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 08:09 AM   #3
seruzawa
The Toad

Never ever ever for one second forget that each and every cage driver in the world is out to get you. Remain as "overly cautious" as you want as long as you want. Get in as many hours on the road as you can on untravelled roads so that you really learn and improve your capabilities. As you gain experience you will begin to feel more comfortable naturally.

Be especially cautious around oversized bikers on Shovelheads.
Old 04-19-2006, 08:09 AM   #4
gr8shandini
Registered Member

Did you ride the K1200 in the class? If you haven't ridden it yet, it's a whole different beast than those 250s they provide. I agree with the first poster. You need to spend 1500-3000 bucks on a learner bike. Power aside, there's just way too many bells and whistles on the beemer that will distract you while you get the feel of the streets. Forget "sport" anything for now and just concentrate on the simple stuff like dodging potholes and predicting what cagers might be doing in the next 20 seconds. In six months you still won't really be ready for the K1200, but at least you'll probably be able to ride it without killing yourself. Good luck.
gr8shandini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 08:27 AM   #5
mfili
Registered Member

I finished the MSF class about 2 years ago and went ahead and bought a Moto Guzzi 750 Breva. It was a good learning bike and I'm at the piont of trading it in for a bigger bike. I would suggest getting something smaller at the beginning and upgrading afer a year or 2. If your interest is in BMW they have a 650 that might be right for you today, which you can easily trade in later for that K your looking for.
mfili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 08:37 AM   #6
Tigercub
Founding Member

In 1971, I wobbled away on a Honda CB100 I bought from a friend whose dad taught me to ride it in the parking lot of his service station. I rode that bike 1 year around town and never went over 40mph. I learned a lot about riding a motorcycle just bigger than a bicycle at speeds slower than traffic.

Two bikes later I was riding a big 650 Triumph, which was quick around town and allowed me to travel on the highway, although in the right lane away from fast traffic.

You learn a lot riding slower than traffic. There is less to worry about in the right hand lane, because you will be constantly slowing and speeding up as cars merge into and out of your lane. The faster you go the quicker you have to think and things can go all haywire faster than you can respond if you are not experienced.

On multi-lane divided highways you may feel more comfortable going faster than traffic in the left-hand lane. But, that only works in light traffic and because all vehicles are moving at roughly the same speeds and there is no cross-traffic.

Those advocating buying a smaller bike are spot on and I would also recommend using that riding time negotiating your way through all the big vehicles around you merging into and out of your lane.

Tigercub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 08:38 AM   #7
pplassm
Founding Member

Get a cheap dirt bike and ride in the dirt every chance you get.

I cannot believe you have that for a first bike. The dealer should be shot.

Old 04-19-2006, 08:41 AM   #8
Buzglyd
Founding Member

You really should start doing some wheeliz and stoppiez so you can learn to be safer on one wheel than most of us are on two.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 08:46 AM   #9
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

...there you go.
BrowningBAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 08:57 AM   #10
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Bad advice. He should stay away from anyone on a Shovelhead. Riding one of those means you are loony or a glutton for punishment.