Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 04-19-2006, 08:15 AM   #11
sgjarvis
Registered Member

Default Re: Done with MSF Training Cass. Now What?

There's some real solid advice posted here and I've only had three years in the saddle so still consider myself a novice... that said just ride as often as possible and keep well within your comfort level and read, read, read - any knowledge you can glean off the saddle will only help when you're on it.

I've done a few track days and intend to do a lot more this year - if nothing else if sharpens you and gives a great opportunity to learn the bike without the other issues found on the roads - the idea about buying an SV 650 and then converting that to a track bike is a good shout and don't wait two years - any experience you can gain is only to the good and most entry level groups at track schools are controlled enough where speed isn't the focus - you're not the only one out there at this point, so use whatever aids are available.

All the best.

sgjarvis is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-19-2006, 08:18 AM   #12
ejis
Founding Member

Great that you want more training and realize that you are not comfortable or skilled yet! There are many options out there for more advanced training, but all of them require a certain degree of competence - even the MSF's "Experienced" Ridercourse. Track schools are the best way to learn a bikes - and your own - limits, away from the dangers and uncertainty of the street. The street focused courses provide everyday tools and techniques to improve performance and safety.

I took Lee Parks' "Total Control Advanced Rider Course" where we had everything from a vintage race prepped Ducati to a custom VRod. It taught me a lot, I would whole-heartedly recommend it. However, with the 6 years and 50k of riding that I've done, I was BY FAR the least experienced rider in the class. I would not have learned anything if I weren't already "comfortable" on the bike.

And not to beat a dead horse (but I will anyway), but the K bike really is not the best way to learn. Get something cheap, light, and not overpowered. Not only will you not mind the inevitable drop, but you'll have more fun and learn much quicker.

Good luck!
ejis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 09:19 AM   #13
RK-Ray
Founding Member

I agree that besides time riding, reading books like David Hough's series - Proficient Motorcyling, will help you understand what's out to get you as well as how to deal with things when they happen. They are very easy reads and you can order them from walmart.com or find them on ebay, etc.

Also spend plenty of time in an empty parking lot practicing your braking and the stuff you did in the class.
Old 04-19-2006, 09:57 AM   #14
SnowFalco
Founding Member

I agree with some of the other posters who recommend some dirt time. There is nothing like learning to powerslide, lowside, crash, get up, and do it again! The risks are so much lower than they are on the street, and you will develop essential skills in traction control, bike handling, etc. I relate it to learning to drive a car on a frozen lake, as I did when growing up in Alaska. There was nothing to hit, and I learned to be comfortable with being totally out of control. If being out of control is a scary feeling you never want to encounter, you won't know what to do when you get there. Now I don't mind driving on slick roads at all, except for all the cell-phone talking boneheads who are trying to kill me. A good cheap dual purpose bike will be light, fun, easy to fix, and street legal to get you to the dirty fun.

Good Luck!
SnowFalco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 10:09 AM   #15
Neal
Founding Member

I 'll try not to repeat some of the good advice;but I would add--take the next level MSF course as soon as possible and take that track day after a year,dont wait 2 years(and the idea of buying used SV or EX500 as a beginner bike AND track day tool is a good one). Also get in a LOT of riding,preferably on lightly traveled 50 MPH dual lane. resist the urge to ride in large groups;trying to keep up with groups of superior riding experience is a large source of beginner single bike accidents. Make sure when riding with another that they ride to your ability not theirs. You can learn alot from following a more experienced rider,but not if he's riding outside your comfort level. its sorta like weight lifting.....when you can easily traverse a sweeping off camber at 40,increase your speed to 45. Have fun
Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 10:25 AM   #16
SRMark
Founding Member

Sell the K bike now before you end up crying. Get a small dirt bike or a small supermoto: the older and rattier the better. Ride till you can wheelie over small logs, slide the back end with confidence, hit the front brake hard without falling down, and change direction quickly from left to right and back again. Do this in either a deserted parking lot or off-road riding area. Again, get rid of that beautiful beemer before you scuff it all up. If you must look cool, get a Lotus, Ford GT or the like and go stand next to it. That K bike will eat you for breakfast. Emphasis on FAST.
SRMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 11:25 AM   #17
BillyO
Registered Member

You can learn to ride on any bike.The problem is ,At what expense.To yourself and the machine are the questions.
BillyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 11:26 AM   #18
12er
Founding Member

160+hp is a very bad choice as a first bike. Do the above or fly to a keith code track day and rent one of his bikes for the school. Or do Vegas and Freddie's school. If you can shell out $21k OTD you should be able to spend another couple k for a reputable track school. That will fast track your way to safely enjoying your "Sport" Touring machine and be a blast too. You could load up the bags and take a slow cautious road trip to a track school, you'd definitely get the feel for the bike but little less safe right out of the gate.
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 11:35 AM   #19
12er
Founding Member

A note on the slow lane advice, Cage drivers are agitated by slow moving vehicles, so watch your mirrors like a hawk. Also people love to swerve from the faster lanes to their off ramp of choice just before they miss it. Personally I found the slow lane at slower speeds more dangerous due to traffic ineptitude where as the fast lane at faster speeds is your skills piloting the bike. Ride where you are comfortable but always be aware. They are out to get you.
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 01:17 PM   #20
Tigercub
Founding Member

I really don't know exactly what a new rider has to learn these days. The bikes and traffic are all much faster. I used to ride on the right side of urban and highway roads in case I had a mechanical problem with the bike and I could 'bail' out to the shoulder of the road. Bikes today are more reliable.
Tigercub is offline   Reply With Quote