Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 04-14-2006, 07:06 AM   #31
Tomas_P
Founding Member

Default Re: Advice on a nearly new or new sport/tourer?

Eric, if you are perhaps lumping Buells in with Harleys, that is understandable... but believe me, one ride on a Buell Lightning and you will understand, this ain't your Uncle's sportster!

I've put a Cee Bailey flyscreen on mine, and soft luggage, and it is a dandy town bike and light tourer. Riding positiion is neutral, seat is comfy, and the bike is neither too tall nor too heavy. Tons of character, just tons. Incredible, stupid cornering talent. I put on a set of Qualifiers. Wow.

Smallish tank, but 60 mpg highway compensates somewhat. (The new longer wheelbase Buells hold more fuel.) The electronics is beyond the reach of most home mechanics (like all modern bikes) but the fuel injection makes that old V-twin run spot-on all the time. Otherwise, I am told that Buell parts are not dear and the rest of the bike looks easy to maintain. The belt final drive is particularly friendly... clean, durable and never needs adjustment.

OK, ok, so you don't want a Buell. You know what else would make a killer sport-tour? One o'them new ZX-14 Kawis. Oh, just another boring, no-character Jap four you say? Ha ha... boring... dear God. Gimme some soft bags and a set of maps and STAND BACK. Heh.
Tomas_P is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-14-2006, 12:39 PM   #32
LiionsRest
Registered Member

Absolutely loving my Moto Guzzi Breva 1100. Am turning it into a tourer by adding a windshield and bags. If I'd know about the Norge coming out, I might have waited, but I'm still really happy. Don't miss test riding one if possible.
Old 04-14-2006, 01:06 PM   #33
v4bryan
Registered Member

Default They offered test rides a while back...

...I took one. Tiny, little bike, lumpy at idle, wants to stand up and run off the road if you corner on the brakes: turns on a dime otherwise. Given the cost, I'd buy an SV650 first and put some money into the suspension (then spend a week in Edinburgh on the leftover money). Still, if the Buell plucks your heartstrings, buy one: life is too short, right?

Bryan...don't ask me about the buffoon who *tried* to lead the test ride: we left him...
v4bryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 01:09 PM   #34
v4bryan
Registered Member

Default One more thing...

...the clutch pull is just ridiculous! I had to clamp on like a cartoon lobster to get the clutch to go: what's so tough about a hydraulic clutch on a streetbike?

Bryan...liked the Lightening better than the Firebolt...
v4bryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 04:19 PM   #35
easyeric601
Founding Member

Thanks for all the advice. Definitely given me a couple of ideas if not exactly narrowed down my choices. The Triumph Sprint ST and the Aprillia Falco I'll definitely take another look at. I loved the triple on the Tiger, but I'm not sure I like all the plastic on the Sprint. The FZ-1, VFR, ZRX, and the Buell are all interesting and I might consider if I fall in love with it or get desperate. The Buell insurance is too high though; about twice that of a Guzzi or BMW and even more than a monster. I'm still worried about Ducati maintenance. I'll wait until the new Guzzi's come out in late May before I decide on what bike to get and whether to go new or used. Its kind of spooky how nobody seemed too interested in the BMWs... Anyway, thanks again.
easyeric601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 05:50 AM   #36
xlr8r
Founding Member

Sorry to come late to the party, but here's my 0.02. If you really like your Beezer and want a bike with character then you don't want anything with four cylinders. Period. Beemers are good, but if your head says buy an 1150R then go back a step and look for an 1100R which is just as good, in some ways better, and just that bit more of a 'real' motorcycle. The more modern you get, the more you lose 'character'. Guzzis are good, too, but if you want to go touring or do any two-up work on a V11 then try before you buy because the v11 sportbikes, though full of character, are very definitely cafe-racer crouch and your wrists might not like them. I rode a Breva 1100 last week, wondering if it might be a replacement for my own R1100R Beemer, and it's good, but not so much better that I'd trade the one for the other and spend several thousand doing so. I also rode a V11 LeMans last week, and IMHO it is the last Real Motorcycle still being made. Easy controls ( no he-man clutch or tractor gearboxes any more!) and flawless fuel injection mapping make it easy to pootle around town on, but when you give it a handful the sound and the sensation leave you in no doubt: this is Real, like old British Twins used to be. I'm still seriously thinking about selling all my other bikes and buying the LeMans. If there's one near you, and it's from 2002 or later, at least give it a go.
xlr8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 10:38 AM   #37
SnowFalco
Founding Member

If you're considering a Falco, you might drop in on AF-1's Aprilia forum (http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/) Look for the Falco forum. The Futura is also a nice bike, with a more humane riding position and touring capabilities. The styling is kind of love-it-or-hate-it. I used to think they were hideous, but they have really grown on me.

Good luck!
SnowFalco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 03:31 AM   #38
zradix
Founding Member

check out Buell thunderbolt. same as i lightning with a more upright position
zradix is offline   Reply With Quote