Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 04-13-2006, 03:35 PM   #21
ledbreva
Founding Member

Default Re: Advice on a nearly new or new sport/tourer?

If you want to stay under 500 lbs the Guzzi 1100 is over that. Yes you should be able to get one for less than MSRP but not as much as in the past because of the new models. I have a Breva 750, 2004 model with 18,000 miles. No problems and it is much more comfortable than my riding buddy's Honda 919. Slower but corners as well and I am not doing 100 mph trips or track days anyway. I test rode a Breva 1100 at Bike Week and liked it. It did not feel 525 pounds. I like my Goose and it has been trouble free for me. The motor is much less complicated than a BMW or Honda. I work on my own now that it is out of waranty. Unless you just want flash, speed or a different style Guzzis are great. Remember they are made for everyday riding. Not 1200 mile years like the other air cooled v-twin. Good luck
ledbreva is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-13-2006, 03:37 PM   #22
BMW4VWW
Founding Member

I ride an old R100GS and I love it. I must admit, however that the Elefant is probably the coolest looking big trailie ever made.
BMW4VWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 05:35 PM   #23
easyeric601
Founding Member

Actually, the lightning is in pretty good shape for its age. I did install a boyer ignition, which helps a lot, but the carbs need cleaning and adjusting (might install mikuni's) and a new clutch wouldn't hurt. It sumps REALLY bad, which could be from a leaky oil pump. I love the bike and will probably keep it no matter what I get, but it's a perpetual work in progress and I picture it exploding one day. And your right, the bike has a lot of charisma. Wherever I go people ask about the it at stoplights, parking lots, etc... I just need something a little more practical.
easyeric601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 06:02 PM   #24
fl34
Founding Member

My 75 t-3 was cool. Concours more than functional, my sv1000s keeps my attention! I think a Triumph sprint might make me forget my tt120... Yeah that's it. Try the triple..
fl34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 07:15 PM   #25
devildog_jim
Registered Member

VFR, if you're going to get the V-Tech, get the latest one with the retune. Otherwise, go a generation earlier. Great bikes.
Old 04-14-2006, 02:05 AM   #26
ironoxide
Registered Member

Sure, an Aprilia Futura. IMO a sport tourer must first be comfortable, and the Fut is very much so. Read the MO review, they love the bike. Rock solid reliable. Plus you can get a new or a nearly new one for a relatively low price.
Old 04-14-2006, 02:24 AM   #27
draymond
Founding Member

i can comment on my guzzi for you...

she is an '03 california 1100 cc

i once thought that i have had alot of quirky issues with her but then I realized that I was the one being quirky! I was comparing her to all the other metric bikes i've owned and that is NOT what she is.

She is like that beautiful woman who comes along and makes you question everything you thought you knew about women.

So does she have character? Yes

Would I say the character issues are problems? No

Would I replace her with something more predictable? Hell NO!

I don't what my life to be predictable why would I want my passion to be?
draymond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 04:22 AM   #28
SnowFalco
Founding Member

I have a couple of good recommendations for you, based on my last few bikes. I had a 1999 SV 650 which I absolutely loved. It had tons of character (for a Japanese bike), good power, good handling, and it looked cool (much better looking than the newer ones, in my opinion). The drawback to the SV was just that it was too low geared and small for real highway work. It was buzzy over 80mph, and I wanted something a little bigger. I got a VTR1000 Superhawk, which I really liked a lot-- you can get 'em cheap, they sound GREAT (with loud pipes), handle pretty well, and look cool. Unfortunately, they have a tiny gas tank. Touring was a real pain because you can't count on getting more than 100 miles out of a tank. I sold it just for that reason-- I like to explore in places where you can't count on a gas station on every corner. My next bike was a 2000 VFR 800 Interceptor. I put louder pipes on it, but it still lacked character. In my opinion, Interceptors have all the personality of a blender. And they are WAY too heavy for an 800cc bike, but they carry it well and handle nice. I sold that one because I was buying a house. Next bike was a Kawasaki ZRX 1100. I loved that bike-- absolutely one of my favorite bikes of all time. Sounds cool, looks cool, handles pretty good, reasonably fast, and my feet can touch the ground. If you like an upright position and don't care about a fairing, I'd recommend the ZRX (and you can get one cheap). Unfortunately, they don't make them any more, but there are a lot out there. I started doing more long-distance riding and touring, so I really wanted something with a fairing, so I got an '03 Aprilia Falco. Best bike I've ever owned. Faster than any of the other ones, V-twin personality, handles as well as just about any bike out there, looks cool, and they're unusual, so they get a lot of looks and you don't see one on every corner. It's not the greatest "town bike" because of the relatively low bars and stretched-out riding position. I ordered some heli-bars-- we'll see if that helps. Hope my litany of bikes gives you a little bit of any idea of what you might want. Happy hunting!
SnowFalco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 05:17 AM   #29
Casey_Daniel
Founding Member

Buy a used F4i. Forget the italian bikes if you're going to put a ton of miles on the thing. I don't want anyone to misunderstand me. I'm sure an italian bike can go the miles with maintanence.... yada, yada, yada. They do take more maintenance than the jap bikes and besides they're too pretty to be ridden on a daily basis.
Casey_Daniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 05:53 AM   #30
v4bryan
Registered Member

If all you want is a good town bike to do some light touring on, I'd recommend used FZ-1's, SV650's, and Honda 919's: buy a flyscreen for them and a set of soft bags and you're good to go. Low insurance costs, decent mileage, upright seating for good vision in town, these would be hard to beat. However, you mentioned you like "Character", and further said that the BMW flat twin isn't quirky enough for you. Taking this into account,I'd say buy the MotoGuzzi that tickles your fancy. The Trumpets are not a family of low ride bikes no matter what you pick, and I find the Ducatis to not be the best town bikes (I'm not fond of the dry clutch in traffic, and I hate doing 4600 mile valve checks and belt replacements at 10K [granted, that is mostly on the older bikes like my wife's 900SS, but the newer ones aren't exactly cheap to spin a wrench on even if you do your own maintenance]).

To sum up, buy the one you love-after all, if you were looking for practical useability you wouldn't be shopping bikes at all.

Bryan...my pick for a second bike? I'd park a KTM 950 Adventure in my garage...
v4bryan is offline   Reply With Quote