Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 04-04-2006, 08:07 AM   #1
desertbilly
Founding Member

Default Re: Too good to be true?

Yeah, and I've got a bridge to sell you.

If it exists, which is doubtful, it's been wrecked or the title is bad (stolen or encumbered.)
desertbilly is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-04-2006, 08:20 AM   #2
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

Most likely it got pulled. There are a TON of half-@ssed scammers on that site and they all use the same gimmicks.

They will either claim they are out of the country and the bike is located in the states somewhere or, like this one, they push hard and heavy that they will pay shipping fees.

A good test is to tell them you will pick it up from whatever state they are claiming to be in and they will insist that it needs to be shipped for a multitude of dumb reasons.

There are good things to be found on craigslist, but there are a bunch of really lame scammers out there, too.
BrowningBAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 08:42 AM   #3
davidst
Founding Member

It's a common scam. There is no "eBay Vehicle Purchase Protection" escrow service. They'll have you transfer money to a fake escrow web site that looks perfectly legitimate. You'll never hear from them again.

-David

davidst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 08:57 AM   #4
Tigercub
Founding Member

I've been watching Kawi 250 Ninjas come and go on Craig's List the past month and an excellent one became available for $3200, about $200 less than a new one. About four more came and went all 1 to 3 years old and asking prices from $2100 to $2600. After those disappeared the $3200 one was re-offered for $3000 and may still be listed.

That is the reality of legitimate bike selling on Craig's list.

The only bargain I noticed during this time was a complete and running 1965 Tiger Cub for $1400 - a steal at that price. I inquired about it one day too late and it sold out from under me.
Tigercub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 09:02 AM   #5
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Simple way of figuring out if it's a scam. Offer to forget the shipping, insurance, Ebay protection, and all the other bullshyt and offer to pick it up in person and pay in cash even if you can't do it. Scammers will never get back to you.
Old 04-04-2006, 09:10 AM   #6
davidhaner
Founding Member

I did this once and the guy took me up on it; I said there was no way I'm buying an 800 dollar plane ticket to look at a bike I might not buy, and he said 'lets drive and meet halfway.' He knew I wouldn't do either one though. He also said he was in MI; plain and simple scammer.
davidhaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 09:27 AM   #7
03zx12r
Registered Member

Scam, Scam, Scam. The buyer will get his money through the pay pal account, but unless you can see the bike, it's current condition, confirm vin info, etc you can almost be sure you will get screwed. Hey - he might even thank you while he's screwing you. The locations is a clue. Currently the market is flooded(no pun intended) with vehicles damaged from the huricanes and the florida location is not that far from L.A... If you really want it, tell the guy you are on your way down to see the bike with a pickup and ask that he meet with you at the location. An ounce of prevention...
03zx12r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 09:36 AM   #8
Fenton
Founding Member

One of the guys working for me just sent $4k away for a new Rhino 4-wheeler he found on e-bay. Last he heard the money was wired to Italy. A task force in NY has been in touch with him but they admitted the money is gone.

I don't have the heart to bring it up. He's a great guy and retired machinist that really can't afford the $4k.

I've only purchased one bike in 20 that was "too good to be true" (in person with cash)

Fenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 09:40 AM   #9
ncelik
Registered Member

Just answer this for yourself: Would you be selling it for that price? No? Why would anybody else?

And why list it in city X if the bike is located in Y ? Would you do that or would you list it where you live? And if so, did you check the local listing for whereever he claims the bike ot be?

I can't belive you thought even for a second that this could be true. On top of every craigslist is a warning. Read that warning.
ncelik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 10:18 AM   #10
emiles
Registered Member

If it sounds too good to be true .. it probably is ..
George W. Bush
emiles is offline   Reply With Quote