Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 04-04-2006, 10:36 AM   #11
rmdower
Founding Member

Default Re: Too good to be true?

Back in december, I sold a 2003 R1 with 14000 and needing minor work for only $3000. Of course, I had just picked up a new 2005 ZX10R for 8400 OTD.
rmdower is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-04-2006, 10:38 AM   #12
RK-Ray
Founding Member

I've seen the same scam on ebay, only the bike was in Russia, it was a great deal tho...
Old 04-04-2006, 10:45 AM   #13
Buzglyd
Founding Member

When I sold my MV Agusta (sniff), a couple of potential buyers mentioned they saw one on Craig's list for $9000. I told 'em to go ahead and buy it if they thought it was that good of a deal.

The ad was from some "kid" saying he was selling all his bikes because he was going back to college. He claimed to have a Brutale, a Ducati 996 and one other bike.

I remember how poor I was in college so I new the ad was bullsh$t and ended up selling the MV to a buyer who knew the ad was BS too.

I just got an email from a 1st lady of some country I've never heard of saying that if I assisted her with a wire transfer of 15 million into another account she would pay me a fee of 1 million!

Think I should go for it?
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 10:47 AM   #14
Buzglyd
Founding Member

I did that once on an ad from a chick selling a "brand new plasma" tv since she broke up with her boyfriend.

She was in Orange County so I said I'd pick it up in person. Never heard from her again.
Old 04-04-2006, 11:21 AM   #15
davidhaner
Founding Member

If she's the wife of the treasury secretary of Nigeria, do it. I did and I got the money.
davidhaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 11:24 AM   #16
johnnyb
Founding Member

that ***** again? i only ever saw $750K, and the fact she was multi-orgasmic nymphomaniac meant i lost like a week of sleep. don't fall for her scam Buz!
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 11:56 AM   #17
Buzglyd
Founding Member

I just wanna know out of all the people in the world, how did she figure out buzglyd@hotmail was trustworthy enough to handle that kind of dough.

I'm looking forward to helping her and her family out. I'll donate my commission to charity.
Old 04-04-2006, 11:56 AM   #18
RRRIDER
Registered Member

Save yourself alot of heartache, lost money and purchase local or brand new from the dealer. usually if its too good to be true, it is. I've read about a few guys on 1000rr.net forums who have been taken by scams just like this: lives in one location while the bike is at another. DON'T DO IT!
RRRIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 12:34 PM   #19
lwatcdr
Founding Member

Notice the final statment I put in the story.

"Part of me wanted to buy it but I couldn't bring myself to do it. I felt that if the deal was legit that it would be cheating the seller. I also felt that the odds of the deal being legit where slim to none."

Everyone dreams of calling that classified ad in the paper about an old Chevy only to find that it is a 65 fuelie vette that a clueless person is selling.

I found it interesting is how they prey on greed. I was thinking when I first saw the ad wow if it is in Miami I could go and check it out in person and even take it to a shop down there to check it out . I had already told the person in the ad, thanks but no thanks before I posted it here.

I posted this mainly so everyone could see what to watch out for. This seemed like a classic scam.

lwatcdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 12:41 PM   #20
lwatcdr
Founding Member

Actually yes there is

http://pages.ebay.com/motors/service...rotection.html

The problem is that bike wasn't on EBay.

If I was going to run a scam like this I would do it like this.

Husband just passed away selling his old Yamaha motorcycle $2500. Very few miles, he didn't ride it much. He bought it right after he became ill. Hate to see it go but need the money.

And then show a YZF R1.

lwatcdr is offline   Reply With Quote