Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 03-27-2006, 01:50 PM   #1
BMW4VWW
Founding Member

Default Re: New Rider at 60

The new Goldwings are so much more powerful and heavier than the bike you rode years ago that I would strongly recommend that you purchase something smaller and less powerful to polish up your skills on. Try finding a used Suzuki 500 twin and progress up from there. I'm almost 56 years old and have been riding continuously for forty years. IÂ’ve just seen way to many riders in our age group get hurt by buying a large heavy motorcycle after years of not riding.
BMW4VWW is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-27-2006, 02:12 PM   #2
ksquid
Banned

Great advice. To me learning to ride on a Goldwing would be like learning to fly with a 747... Think Cessna 150 or 172 i.e. Suzuki 500 twin.
ksquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 02:39 PM   #3
dhawk
Registered Member

Or a PA-18 like I did before the Navy trained me to fly the F-4 back in the 60's..

Also think very seriously about the MSF beginner course...
dhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 02:52 PM   #4
SEADOG7624
Founding Member

Hi! I am 71 and started riding at 18 so I have many good bikes under my belt. All time favorite was probably my Moto Guzzi 850-t3 Police version..

My current ride is an Aprilia Atlantic 500 maxi-scooter with easy step through design, 100 mph top speed, CVT transmission (shiftless) 55-60 mpg, super cushie seat and lots of under the seat stowage.

These maxi-scooters are thousands of dollars less than the big bikes, insurance costs are lower, weight is lower, and the "fun" factor is superb.

Look at Honda's SilverWing, Suzuki Burgman 650 and 400, Yamaha Majesty, and of course Aprilia's Scarabeo, Piaggio's X9 and Beverly. All of these are excellent long distance tourers and great around town at the same time. I have to add that these are "NOT" your grandmothers puny little 50cc Vespas, but full sized performance machines with more goodies than you will ever find on a motorcycle at twice the price.

Skip the Goldwing and go for the Burgman 650, the current "king of the hill."
SEADOG7624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 02:55 PM   #5
ksquid
Banned

Good point about the class... Definitely a great idea...
Old 03-27-2006, 02:59 PM   #6
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Why not another 350 Honda? I've got one around here somewhere...

But seriously get yourself something that'll be easy to pick up. A new Goldthing would require a sky-crane to get righted again. You might need a truss if you dropped it in a parking lot and tried to pick it up.

Small & light.
Old 03-27-2006, 03:02 PM   #7
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

F-4's! I was a PR in VF33 off the Indy. Loved them F4J's.

You know F4's can't fly without those big J79's.

What'd you fly? The B model? (Little skinny tires and the IR raydome).
Old 03-27-2006, 03:10 PM   #8
ksquid
Banned

Just to remind you this is motorcycle.com... not scooter.com... Just kidding. You are right about scotters I saw a Silver Wing the other day looked cool and fun...I rode a little scooter 50cc once but I wonder how it translates to learning to ride a Goldwing. I guess all two wheelers use counter steering...But other than that wouldn't a motorcycle be better...i.e. since you are strandling a motorcycle like a horse vs the scooter perched approach?
Old 03-27-2006, 03:29 PM   #9
seruzawa
The Toad

Speed Triple!
Old 03-27-2006, 03:39 PM   #10
pudlepirate
Registered Member

aw come on, the 'wing is so wide I don't think it can tip more than about twenty degrees. anyways no bike is fun to pick up, but if you lean your back into the bike and push up with your legs nearly anyone can right any bike, the tricky part is the pirouette when you get it to the balance point.
pudlepirate is offline   Reply With Quote