Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 03-17-2006, 06:55 AM   #11
KLRer
Founding Member

Default Re: KLR 650 as Tow Vehicle?

to you and the other smart asses: talks cheap. I aim to do it and post the pics to prove it. Of course, if it doesnt want to move, I'm not going to rev it up to redline or anything like that. Easy does it, I suspect, and she'll roll right in.
KLRer is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-17-2006, 07:01 AM   #12
johnnyb
Founding Member

In all seriousness, i think the only way it's going to work is to dump the clutch with the revs up a bit, dragstrip style. Because the torque peak of that KLR must be around 6000 rpm or so and you'll need all of it to pull 2000 pounds.

Also i would spray the area with some sort of traction compound like vht or wd40.
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 07:08 AM   #13
Longshot92
Registered Member

this is brilliant. i appeal to the editors for more- can we have a 'darwin awards of motorcycling' feature? not just your usual crash recaps, but oddball stories like "i tried to tow my boat with my klr, and i have the pics to prove what a poor decision this was", or "my buddy was filming me doing a burnout but i lost control and the bike went through my neighbor's front door". like an average joe's accidental stunt video. i have good memories of watching some mo editor lowside a scooter recently...
Longshot92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 07:20 AM   #14
Neal
Founding Member

LOL...the best verbal picture Ive read in awhile.Maybe you're getting it bacjk JB
Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 07:37 AM   #15
johnnyb
Founding Member

it inspires me to find my "Video Nasties" tape i got from Performance Bikes in Britain like 10 yrs ago. it is like motorized monty python. lots of naked drunk people wheelying over backwards, being towed on tires, etc.

i see it all going smoothly then halfway up the hill the bike stalls the boat starts pulling it backwards just as the wife pulls into the alley in the Volvo the o who knows? ripe with excellent possibilities here...
Old 03-17-2006, 07:49 AM   #16
Buzglyd
Founding Member

I think it's also important to dial 9 and 1 on your phone so when you crash you only have to dial 1.

Gets the ambulance there more quickly.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 08:37 AM   #17
maladg
Registered Member

Homer sez: "Quick operator- get me the number for nine-one-one!"
maladg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 10:34 AM   #18
Tigercub
Founding Member

You tell'em KLRer!! I once single-handedly tried putting my FLHS into the back of pick-up by myself with a 2' X 4', 3/8" piece of plywood between driveway and pick-up. halfway up and beyond the point of no return the board broke in two and left me holding the bike upright halfway on the pick-up bed. I was stuck there for about 10 minutes until a guy happens by and helps me push it the rest of the way into the truck. Then he says, "what were you going to do if I hadn't come by"? To this day I have no answer to that question.

I must agree with JB. You'd best do this after a few drinks - not the kinda of thing you should consider doing sober. And do it alone. Don't let someone else spin the story for you.
Tigercub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 11:09 AM   #19
KLRer
Founding Member

torque comes on nicely on the KLR 650 by 2500 rpm or so. Once the boat's moving it'll come right along. What some of the morons making light of my plan don't know, probably, is that a 2000 lb. boat on a trailer can be pushed by hand on a flat, level surface. Easily. The 10 degree slope and uneven surface add to the difficulty, sure, but its not like we're talking about towing it up Peaks Peak at 60 mph. Ease it on up into the garage, thats all.

Thats all I'm saying until the boat arrives in a couple of weeks.
KLRer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 11:39 AM   #20
johnnyb
Founding Member

Good idea Killer start drinking now so u will be good and ready. Peak's Peak? I am thinking now if there's a way to PUSH it with front wheel you might be better off? Like trailer hitch ball above front fender betw. fork tubes.