Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 03-08-2006, 08:36 AM   #11
chingbaby
Registered Member

Default Re: Import Buying Question.

I've done it, it's not bad. Bought in Montreal, drove to the border, showed the customs guy the receipt. He issued me an import form (the fee was $35 or thereabouts). Took the import form, the canadian title and plates to the VA dmv. There was a slight delay while the gophers there ran around to make sure it was the right form. Then I was issued a title and plates, and told I needed to have it inspected within 30 days (just the regular safety inspection that any dealer or service station does for $5).
chingbaby is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-08-2006, 08:44 AM   #12
Islandcomm
Registered Member

Yup. Ya gotta love "free trade"...
Islandcomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 09:17 AM   #13
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

..or a motorized bicycle.
Old 03-08-2006, 09:19 AM   #14
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Yeah, most all newer vehicles worldwide comply with our Federal DOT laws. Even if it's an old POS there's classifications for that too (with Customs). A non-issue anymore. One world government!
Old 03-08-2006, 10:29 AM   #15
seruzawa
The Toad

It's sad, really. The emmissions regulations in the US and Canada are so stringent that there's no reason to make a big deal about importing from one or the other. Maybe a couple of decades ago it made sense when the US more stringent. Not today.

I take that back. There is a reason. Jobs for bureaucrats. Just think of all the paper work. The added bonus for the bureaucrat is that he gets to make your life miserable. Like the bureaucrats that shut down the 9 year old girl's lemonade stand. Petty, nasty and vicious..... while pretending to be acting for the public good.
Old 03-08-2006, 11:16 AM   #16
yoavy11
Founding Member

Let me add to this question,

For some reason Yamaha sells the MT01 in Canada and not in the US. Would getting one over be the same process? or can you only bring bikes that are being sold here already?
yoavy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 01:39 PM   #17
maverickzee
Founding Member

To move a motorcycle from Canada into the US that you are purchasing, you will have to hire a customs broker. They do the customs paperwork and collect the taxes on behalf of the US customs officials. I have worked with A & A Contract Customs Brokers on deals like this (aacbusa.com), and they are good. If you want your bike transported to you, you will have to work with a motorcycle mover that goes into Canada, like the one I work at - MoverQuest. Also, check your state DMV requirements for licensing a used motorcycle. In California for example, if it has less than 7500 miles on it, and no CA Emissions Stickers, you can't register it. A motorcycle won't have the CA stickers unless it was originally sold in CA. No sense in buying a motorcycle that you can't register. Hope this helps.
maverickzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 02:33 PM   #18
oleland
Registered Member

I purchased a new KLR 650 in Calgary AB and the the only things you have to do are ,you need a letter from Kawasaki stating that the bike meets US emissions standards and the speedometer has to read in mph.The letter from Kawasaki is easy to get they do it all the time . I made a phone call to US Kawasaki and they faxed the letter to me in about 20 min.I used a digital speedo from aerostich and installed it on the bike at the dealership.Some of the bikes speedometers read in MPH and KPH in which case nothing needs to be done.It took about 15 min at the border crossing with the two bikes we purchased and that was all there was to it. the down side is if you are worried about warranty work most US dealers will not do warranty work on Canadian bikes ,you will have to take it back to Canada for warranty work.
Old 03-08-2006, 02:39 PM   #19
bbtowns
Founding Member

I've done it a couple of times with no real hassles. Contacting the border chief at the border crossing you intend to use is helpful, but I encountered no problems (Just a fee for import). You could also take the US plates off one of your other bikes, throw it on the new one, and ride accross the border without problems, but that would be illegal. No problems at all registering the bike in OR.
Old 03-08-2006, 03:43 PM   #20
fireworks
Founding Member

Funny this came up. I asked the same question but the other way around. US to Canada.

I don't know how different it is for Canada to US, but it can't be radically different.

http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/forum/v...ic.php?t=28816

Basically, for US to Canada it's just a matter of making sure that the bike is on the Transport Canada admissible list, which most of the big guys products are on.

You file some paper work at the US border 72 hrs in advance, pay the CDN Fed tax, and duty fee $209 CDN, and then you have 45(?) days to get it checked out at Canadian Tire, and registered.

I think you'll end up paying provincial tax at the DMV too though.

Anyways, I can't see it being wildly different.
fireworks is offline   Reply With Quote