Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 03-07-2006, 03:51 AM   #1
FlowBee
Registered Member

Default Re: Supermoto/Motocross Convertible

Numero Uno.
FlowBee is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-07-2006, 04:18 AM   #2
sconley
Founding Member

Look no further than the Motorradna Baghira Black Panther... You can usually find low mileage, late model Panthers for around 4500-5000 occasionally... Never had one, but I've always wanted one... Even the little SM125 looks like fun. If anybody has an MZ, please share your experience...

http://www.motorradna.com/models/sup...baghiraBP.html
sconley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 04:32 AM   #3
Buzglyd
Founding Member

SV650, Concours or VFR (used one) with knobbies ought to be about perfect.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 04:57 AM   #4
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Does reasonably capable mean chuffing down a fire road, or hitting the whoops at 60+?

I don't know where you live, or what the vehicle codes are in your area but if it were me I'd get one of the Japanese open class 4 stroke MX bikes with a lighting kit.

But due to the bikes not having a cush-hub or other shock asorbing system in the clutch some say that street riding causes undue stress on the transmission.

If that's the case I'd go the XL/XR/KLR route for reliability.
Old 03-07-2006, 05:14 AM   #5
gniewko
Registered Member

A good option might be a Suzuki DR-Z and a set of supermoto wheels from East Coast Wheels. I think you can get a front brake conversion kit from them, too. So all you'd have to do to change from street to dirt would be the wheels and possibly a spacer for the front brake caliper. Your speedo will be off, though, since the front supermoto wheel is smaller.

You can find tons of info on DR-Z conversions on www.thumpertalk.com.

I just got a used DR-Z as a second bike for city riding (I live in NYC), and I love it. I'm too lazy to mess around with changing wheels, so I'm just keeping it standard for now. That's working pretty well, and the skinny tires make skids and backing it into turns easier.
gniewko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 05:43 AM   #6
bbtowns
Founding Member

Nearly any single dual sport with an extra set of wheels would get you there.
Old 03-07-2006, 06:23 AM   #7
naco_traficante
Registered Member

Default Isn't this what BMW does ?

I can't picture a BMW for "neighborhood-terrorizing" but they have an enduro line-up that includes the R1200GS.

naco_traficante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 06:58 AM   #8
johnnyb
Founding Member

2006 Husqarna TE models are 50-state street legal, hello. serious enduro machines avail. in 250, 450 and um, a bigger one. Current Dirt Rider compares 250 to current Japanese offerings, it comes up smelling like a rose. I like mine. Sticker on swingarm says made in factory de MV Agusta, or somethin like that, with MV Agusta logo even. Ferracci makes c-f parts for it uh-oh...

Supposedly KTM may do same next year.
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 07:02 AM   #9
SRMark
Founding Member

I'd go for an XR750 with knobbies, but that little Harley flat-track tank's gotta go. Get the DOT legal knobbies in case a cop stops you. They don't slide much on the pavement with the little bit of power put out by the XR, they channel water real good and they dig a nice trench in yer neighbor's backyard. I'd get a 9 gallon tank for commuting and put a milk crate on the back for carrying the notebook, etc. The crate works good for putting shaken-off parts into for later reattachment when ya get home. XR750s are a dime a dozen and pretty cheap too. Gitcha one.
SRMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 07:33 AM   #10
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

Default BMW HP2

No Doubt about it. Faster on-road than any supermoto and it can be ridden with surprising ease on most motocross courses. (Wait till you see the pictures from our upcoming HP2 test!)

-Sean