Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 03-05-2006, 06:37 AM   #1
bmwclay
Founding Member

Default Re: Front End after Accident

Might want to get the frame checked out. It could be tweaked. if that is the case the insurance company might write off the whole bike, give you a check, then you could buy it back for pennies on the dollar.
bmwclay is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-05-2006, 12:17 PM   #2
boru4761
Registered Member

Really? How does that work? Not that I would ever intentionally bin a working motorcycle but I have to admit that I am now rather curious.
boru4761 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 12:19 PM   #3
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

You didn't say wht type of accident you had so this is just a shot in the dark.

You might want to get the bike on a stand so it's completley off the ground, and (suspended like this) if the front wheel flops over to one side or the other you might have bent the steering stem, the mizzen mast or de-calibrated the rake inducer.

Whatever don't ride that damn thing. Have a buddy with a pick-up truck take it to a reputable frame shop for a good look-see.
Old 03-05-2006, 04:50 PM   #4
iamz
Founding Member

How's the play in your steering head bearings?
iamz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 05:08 PM   #5
Brent_Meeker
Founding Member

Have you actually put a strainght edge along the fork tubes. The behavoir sounds exactly like forks that are bent back just below the lower triple tree. They don't have to be bent very much to induce that kind of steering.
Brent_Meeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 05:42 PM   #6
Dangerousdave_2
Registered Member

I agree with the last two guys. You could have bent something so slightly that you can't see it with the naked eye. My only experience with steering head bearings was due to excessive wear, and that feels like a kind of 'self centering' feel, but an impact could cause something to have happened to the balls or races somewhere other than dead center, which is where they wear out first under normal circumstances. At any rate, someone needs to look at that thing pronto.
Dangerousdave_2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 06:20 PM   #7
sv1000rider
Founding Member

Also, a worn front tire or one that doesn't have the correct air pressure in it can cause a weird front end feel when turning. Just a thought. Good luck dude.
sv1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 07:57 PM   #8
sarnali
Founding Member

Since you didn't give any specifics about the accident I'd say check the tire pressure first. Just off the top of my head I'd say that was your problem. To get the front wheel to push like that you would have to decrease the rake which would make the bike turn quicker BUT...damage severe enough to do that wouldn't be uniform IE one side would be bent back more than the other and give you the wobbles at speed. Since you say that there was no front end damage and the bike is stable at speed that's probably not the case.

A loose or damaged swing arm will give you the wobbles on deceleration... In fact any kind of damage will manifest itself in stability issues, if the only problem you have is the bike pushing in the corners it's tire pressure or you dropped the forks down in the trees there by decreasing the rake.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 04:25 AM   #9
acecycleins
Founding Member

Find a GMD Computrac location. They specialize in frame and fork straightening. Also, if the fork tubes aren't bend it's possible tthey are slightly twisted.
Old 03-06-2006, 10:57 AM   #10
pudlepirate
Registered Member

you might try this, losen the top triple clamp, leaving the botom one tight, (both the steering stem top nut and the fork pinch bolts), then losen the axel pinch bolts on the non threaded side. now pump the suspension with the tire against something, not holding the brakes. this should get everything lined up. tighten the steering stem then the fork pinch bolts. bounce the bike some more and finaly tighten the axel pinch bolts. this did wonders for my speed triple after I wrecked, I had a destroyed left fork, when I first put it back on the road it seemed to turn beter to the left and would fight to lean left when I took my hands off the bars. this condition was more prevelant at low speeds and I could counteract it by leaning my body weight over to the right. I think my top and botom triples were twisted in relation to each other. Now it seems to track fine. hope this helps.
pudlepirate is offline   Reply With Quote