Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 03-03-2006, 12:54 PM   #1
ivan_spartan
Founding Member

Default Re: Recommendations for a new scoot

You could do worse than the FJ1300. It's got speed and passenger room. Just stay away from the ST1300 from a former owner of the heat throwing model.
ivan_spartan is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-03-2006, 12:56 PM   #2
BillyO
Registered Member

Funny,I rode a Guzzi Ca.Alum. last fall and thought it was a good ride.I also rode a Rosa Corsa and was not in love with it.

The California was an excellent handling bike.

I`d buy one if I had a dire need for an additional Italian fix.

If you really neen a bike for your lady friend to go w/you.I would seriously look no further than a Dyna Super Glide SPORT.

Best of all worlds.Plus,they do not loose value as the other contenders.I bought one for 13,500 rode it for a year and traded it in for 12,500.Try yhat on a Honda or Yamaharley.
BillyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 12:58 PM   #3
bhiley
Founding Member

They are kind of pricey, but there are many choices in the BMW world that are kinda sporty, but passenger friendly. R1200ST, R1200RT, the new K1200GT (152hp) I think all can be had with a top box with a backrest to make them even more comfortable. Also Yamaha FJR1300, Honda ST1300, and of course the ultimate comfort the 1800 Goldwing. All would be much more performance oriented than a cruiser, especially considering where you are coming from. First Post?
bhiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 12:59 PM   #4
steven_1
Founding Member

Guzzi is nice,the California can trace its roots back to the LeMans and V7 Sport so they handel very well. Check out wildguzzi.com
steven_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 01:10 PM   #5
sportriderjed
Founding Member

How about the new FZ1? That passenger seat looks comfy and is along the same lines as your other bikes. The FJR1300 is also a good choice and that thing hauls. It is a little heavy but I was shocked at how well it handles for its size and that engine is phenomenal. When I am 20 years older I will buy something like that.

My friend just got the BMW GS1200 and his wife loves riding on the back of that, as did mine. Feels like your riding a tractor compared to the FJR though. I have not ridden the R1200RT but everyone seems to love it and it reportedly handles like a dream. Then there is the gold wing, which is huge but also handles very well and is the king of comfort for passengers, if you can stand to be seen on one. The engine is super cool in the wing too, but I would almost rather drive a cage if I have to ride something that big.

How about taking her with you and have her pick out what she thinks feels the best from a pillion standpoint? My wife likes to have input into what I get. Interestingly she really prefers the feel of the inline four to the twin after some time on the pillion, and I prefer the feel of the twin on long trips.
sportriderjed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 02:45 PM   #6
nweaver
Founding Member

Another passanger bike would be ANY giant trailie. A GS Bimmer or a VStrom are pretty damn good for passangers: much better than anything short of a dedicated tourer/ST bike.

nweaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 02:54 PM   #7
cota
Registered Member

Ural, yup definitely a Ural with a sidecar.
cota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 03:52 PM   #8
Fenton
Founding Member

Given the naked nature of your past choices, how about a nice fully loaded Buell Ulysses?

Not a ton of wind protection but great comfort, handling and it may fit into the "different" style you seem to like.

Best of luck, ride well.
Fenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 04:10 PM   #9
seruzawa
The Toad

Concours!
Old 03-03-2006, 04:28 PM   #10
flybimmer
Founding Member

I don't own one, but my wife and I took a Triumph Bonneville America for a spin around the block. She thought it was VERY comfortable. Lots of room and fairly zippy for a cruiser. She also finds my V-Strom 650 really comfy as well.
flybimmer is offline   Reply With Quote