Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/index.php)
-   Help! (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=81)
-   -   Recommendations for a new scoot (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3364)

aeholton 03-04-2006 03:16 PM

Re: Recommendations for a new scoot

Forget the cruiser! The Buell XB12X Ulysses is extremely comfy for both rider and passenger. Also, has the unique factor.

adaleb 03-04-2006 03:19 PM

I know you want to be different (and as a Buell Thunderbolt S3T rider I fully understand), but you might also want to look at a basic H-D Road King if your wife is looking for comfort. My brother in Hayward CA bought a new 2005 Road King about a year ago, and has not looked back since.

I have ridden his bike twice while visiting, and am absolutley amazed at how well it handles and how solid it feels. Smooth for both the rider and the passenger, but the windshield easily comes off if you want the "stripped Down" look.

Keep us posted. Good Luck.

naco_traficante 03-04-2006 06:09 PM

you already know the answer

get the Guzzi

200cc 03-04-2006 06:10 PM

I agree, the Road King is a GREAT bike for a passenger. When riding with a pillion you don't want to get involved in any road racing antics, the Harley tours better than any other bike. The motor actually relaxes the passenger as you ride. It must have the right frequency or something. Plus, the Road King is a lot different than your current bike and provides a wondeful contrast to your other ride. It also retains its value really well, if you end up not liking it, you still come out okay.

DragonF6 03-05-2006 03:45 AM

I am about to do you a huge favor-

Find a Honda dealer that has a low mileage (or still new in the crate) Honda Valkyrie. Get him to let you test ride it. I have never heard of anyone taking a ride on this beast, that didn't purchase it.

I have been riding for 42 years and still love speed. I also love comfort, and being different. When you look down at that huge car-like 6 cylinder engine between your legs, you can't help but get excited. I have done 12 hour days with no discomfort, and the passenger seat is pretty cushy too. If you get a Tourer (hard side bags) or Interstate model (bags, fairing and trunk) you are all set for long travel. I prefer the naked look so opted for a Standard and use a T-bag for travel.

This is without a doubt, the finest bike I have ever owned. I belong to the VRCC (Valkyrie Riders Cruiser Club), an international organization with local chapters who sponsor rides and there is a yearly club rally (this year in Frisco, CO). The support on the club message board has made it possible for me to do all my own work on the bike (the little there has been). One member has 350,000 miles on his Valk and no engine tear down (his rear splines finally went though). This is a tried and true 1520 Gold WIng engine with a hotter cam and 6 carbs instead of 1. It is bullet proof.

Again, find one...take a ride...join the club. My bike (2001 blue and white) gets more attention at bike events than ANY other bike there...always. Harleys hate parking near me. I am stopped at gas stations by people asking me questions about the bike. If you like attention, this is the bike for you.

Can you tell I like the Valkyrie? :-)

nator 03-05-2006 01:12 PM

From my own personal experience, it is easier to decide on a new wife, rather than a new bike.

Can be costlier though....

anrajala 03-06-2006 08:03 AM

Re: I am about to do you a huge favor-

Amen. Finally the truth came out. Valk (BTW the winner of power cruiser shootout of Motorcycle) is miles ahead of competition. Why don´t you have a quick look on Valk´s towering torque and power dyno charts? For a good knee-slapping laugh compare them to the feeble 1300-1500 cc V-2 scooters that everybody else has. You´ll end up "what the hell was I thinking"

- cruiz-euro