Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 02-28-2006, 03:01 AM   #1
sv1000rider
Founding Member

Default Re: What would you recommend and why?

All excellent choices. I like the torque of twins though so I'd go with the SV. Can you get a test ride on any of them?
sv1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-28-2006, 03:39 AM   #2
dleclerc
Founding Member

all great bikes with different characteristics depending on what you want out of a bike.

The 599 is the gentlemens bike out of the bunch, dependable and good allround (I think better looking), the SV 650 is the do it all, Fun, Nimble, You could ride it on the track, on the street or through the canyon equally. Speed Four (which would be my buy) is the screamer, a little less friendly and a little less comfy but a riot to ride, it's the closest to a sportbike in my mind out of the bunch and really feels like the hooligan out of the bunch.

That's my opnion (also not I haven't riden the 599 so I'm basing my point of view on second hand opinions.)
dleclerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 03:44 AM   #3
iamz
Founding Member

I'd would get the standard sv650. It's ergonomics and torque would more closely match your experience.
iamz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 04:06 AM   #4
SRMark
Founding Member

Got a dart board? The Speed 4 will add an air of sophistication to your garage. The Honda is a Honda (a good thing). The Zuke is priced right and does what it should. I'd pick the Speed 4 because life is too short to settle for the ordinary. There is not a bad choice to be had here. With all things being equal, go with the dealer who you think will provide you with an on-going high level of service. Enjoy.
SRMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 04:11 AM   #5
Zakman
Founding Member

I don't have much experience to advise you, only 700,000+ miles but I'd get the SV. It's too much fun, I have 2 of them. The only problem with the SV is it makes the batteries go dead and the gas go bad in your other vehicles because they just sit there unused.
Zakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 04:28 AM   #6
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

If you've ridden dirt bikes, try the Buell City Cross (XB9SX).

Low maintenance, fun and does wheelies by second nature.

Also premium suspension & a relative light weight. Don't know where you live but if it's not Urrip try the Buell, you can get one out the door for around 9k.
Old 02-28-2006, 04:49 AM   #7
naco_traficante
Registered Member

My last bike was a SV650 and I would say it was exactly "sporty and fast but not a crotch rocket". I think the Speed Four would be more fun IMHO, especially since you're an experienced rider.

naco_traficante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 04:54 AM   #8
Badkat
Founding Member

"Sporty and fast but not a crotch rocket"

All good choicess you listed, speed four being my fav. Look also at a DR400SM, ER-6 Kawi, Duc monster 620 or 695,

Build quality in bikes now is far superior to what was available in the past 10-15 years. You can't really buy a known bad bike, they all will work well.

Lots to choose from, I'd go with the one that fits YOU best ergonomically, and ride the c*&p outta it.
\'03tuono;7/11KAT;IBA#10456
Badkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 05:28 AM   #9
acecycleins
Founding Member

599 is cost too much. SV excellent. Speed4 wait for the baby speed with the 675. Monster s2r excellent. Ninja 650r great first street bike. The best bang for the buck is always going to be the SV. But if style and profile is the way go for the Ducati. You can buy brand new ones for $8000 all day and night.
Old 02-28-2006, 06:15 AM   #10
caffine
Registered Member

Thousands of Europeans can't be wrong. The 599. I'll bet they shipped (to the US) a lot fewer than in 2004, so it may be tougher to find one as we hit the summer. You could probably buy an SV anytime anywhere and for years to come. I don't think it will be the same for the Honda though.

caffine is offline   Reply With Quote