Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 02-28-2006, 05:32 AM   #11
sarnali
Founding Member

Default Re: What would you recommend and why?

That'd be my choice, Buell or Speed 4. I'd probably get the Triumph because I think they're little screamers but a Buell would certainly fit the bill.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-28-2006, 05:41 AM   #12
acecycleins
Founding Member

The 599 is build in Italy by Honda. The exchange rate there makes the bike sell for about $1100 less than thay can sell it here. Here they sell for $7300 or so for a new '06 model. That's way more than an SV. If I'm ponying up that kind of cash I'd rather own an Italian bike. Go Ducati. But personally, I go with a Yamaha FZ6. It's a high revver compaired to the other bikes but it's suspension is set up good enough to have fun with and the price is cheap.
Old 02-28-2006, 06:03 AM   #13
caffine
Registered Member

Yes. I know about the exchange rate. Here in the NorthEast you can get a '06 599 for about $6500 - $6600. Not too bad.

Yes the Ducati's are nice. The FZ6 is a bit buzzy for my taste. But, to each their own.
caffine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 06:43 AM   #14
Tigercub
Founding Member

The SV650 is different from the Honda and Triumph you mentioned. I have a Speed 4 and it's a total blast. Triumph are no longer making that machine so you will have to buy used, but you should be able to get one cheap and it will hold together way longer than your interest in it. Triumph made them conservatively so they should be very reliable.

If you want to be able to sell it for a decent price get the Honda - no need to explain what it is. Check out the new Kawasaki 650 twin and Ducatis new 600. Those bikes are similar to the ones you mentioned.
Tigercub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 07:16 AM   #15
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

I've seen posts on the TriumphRat Forum that it is expected (sort of) that they will put out an S4 with the new 675 engine. Some posts claim that they "talked to someone that knows someone". This could be wild @ss speculation or just high hopes since everyone on that board seems to love the bike.

Have you heard anything?
BrowningBAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 07:24 AM   #16
Anti-ChickenStrip
Founding Member

Hi Zack:

You really can't go wrong with any of the bikes you've listed. Others have made some great suggestions to widen your choices as well.

One main thing to consider is what you prefer for engine power delivery characterictics. Inline 4's are gonna want you to wring 'em out, while twins have more grunt all around but aren't as hot blooded. 1-4's typically require more rowing of the gear box to stay in the sweet spot. Your decision on this point will immediately narrow the field.

It sounds like ergonomics are important to you, so I'd recommend you throw a leg over all consdierations and get a test ride if you can. Not sure if you want wind protection.

I'd also say that beyond engine characteritics, suspension should be an important consideration as well. As your skills increase, suspension delinquencies will become more obvious and you'll crave for something that is well sorted. When manufacturers are trying to hit price points, which is the case for many of the models you've listed, suspension is usually the first thing to be compromised. This may not be an issue now, but it might be important down the road.

I bought a naked SV 650 when it came out in 99, before many of the other models that have been discussed on this thread were available. I've added a 1/4 fairing (good wind protection), stainless steel brake lines, sintered brake pads (great braking power and feel), Corbin seat (15K miles and haven't thought of my a$$ once since), and some customer/lower handlebars (improves front end feel). Most importantly, I added stiffer fork springs and Race Tech emulators up front and an Ohlins shock out back. I also added the customary pipe, jet kit and K&N air filter, but while they're good for v-twin music and a little extra grunt, if I had it to do over again, I'd do the suspension first.

I've taken my bike on 2000 mile tours, weekend blasts, mundane errands and track days. For me, it has enough power for the street without getting me into trouble, and has great cornering speed and handling at the track.

For the price difference between the bikes you've listed, you could easily upgrade a stock SV to a bike with higher end componentry superior to the other stock offerings. Food for thought, and once again, you really can't go wrong with any of the bikes listed. Good luck with the dirt to tarmac transition and ride well.
Anti-ChickenStrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 07:42 AM   #17
rkwilson
Registered Member

I rode only dirt and then bought my first street ride a couple of years ago: a '02 CBR 600 F4i. I would take a look at it. It was an awesome bike. I think it definitely out performs any of the previously mentioned bikes, if that is your thing. Also, it is a great street bike, the ergos are less agressive than the pure racing 600's but you still get a kick ass honda 4. Also great Honda reliability and easy to ride. Just my .02.
rkwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 08:19 AM   #18
davidhaner
Founding Member

I completely agree. The sv is a great bike. People who don't think they're fast enough are crazy; 0-60 in 3 and a half seconds is pretty darn fast. So it ONLY goes 128 mph, oh well.
davidhaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 08:34 AM   #19
Buzglyd
Founding Member

I've ridden all three of them. Those are really good choices and I'm not sure which I'd pick.

SV is the best value. Honda has the best fit and finish and the Triumph is the coolest.

I think I picked the Honda overall in the middleweight comparo cuz I like the riding position better than the Triumph for the long haul.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 10:54 AM   #20
billhawley
Founding Member

The 599 is not the best value IMHO, the SV is a good choice, but the Hyosung 650 is pretty much the same machine for less money (if there's a dealer nearby.) I'd personally recommend a used bike in any case. Here's why: It may take a while to decide what sort of riding you really enjoy most (cruising, strafing corners, sport touring etc.) THEN you can buy a new machine. While it'd be heavier, a used Triumph Sprint ST would be great bang for the buck, offer good power and handling, and better weather protection than any of the aforementioned bikes (and be a far more comfortable weekend tourer to boot.) Plus there's the exclusivity and cool factor (not a lot of them around.) They're also at home in any crowd (H-D guys like Triumphs, and most of the sport bike mounted guys would approve too.) Smaller dealer network, but reliable and proven. Good examples of 4 - 5 year olds are out there for less than any new mid-sized bike.
billhawley is offline   Reply With Quote