Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Help! (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/help/)
-   -   Good bikes for passengers? (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/help/3323-good-bikes-for-passengers.html)

rmdower 02-15-2006 07:35 PM

Re: Good bikes for passengers?

Schwinn Applecrate!

Fenton 02-15-2006 07:36 PM

....and the best passengers for sport tourers?

Check the latest sport/tour review under "Bikes"

Go RT though.

caffine 02-15-2006 07:49 PM

There are only two reasons I can think of for riding two up.

(1) Your friends bike broke down during a ride and you need to get a truck.

(2) You have a fat ugly wife your trying to get rid of.

Sure, statistics show that we ride more carefully with a passenger on the back, but that doesn't mean everyone else on the road is doing the same.

Think about this: private pilots have you sign a waver stating that you and your family will not sue in case of a accident. And flying is supposed to be safer than driving!

Passenger sport bikes? Bad combo. I can maneuver around potential accidents a lot easier without the extra luggage, thanks.

Nap 02-15-2006 11:47 PM

Suzuki Bandit

Bill, what style of ST bike do you prefer? More on the sport or more on the touring?

It's pretty subjective even if you have a response for the above. There are surely riders who consider a 'Wing sporting (and who have the chops to hustle one around, for that matter)... and pre-carpal tunnelers touring on R1s.

You probably want to look up the past ST shootouts on MO as suggested previously. (If I remember right, there's blood on the floor after the voting in a couple of them. My favorite was the one where Burns tosses out competing votes until the FJR wins!)

Here's my simple two-up ST experience -- maybe it will be helpful to others: I ride a 2nd gen Bandit 1200. My girlfriend insists it's very comfortable for a sportier bike. (She's 5'4", I'm 6'2".) The Bandit seat is one piece, so the passenger doesn't perch on a staircase step behind the driver, unlike some of the true sportbikes. This plus the moderate peg placement is happiness for my passenger on long rides.

Further, I use a detachable windshield, stock seat... and yeah... those silly camouflage Bunsaver cushions. We've sailed through multi-day trips up to about 1500mi on this bike. Not exactly a fancy setup, but cheap and fun for us.

When the trip's over, I go back to mostly city riding. So I pull off the touring extras, which leaves a naked 100+HP bike and spare cash for bail.

riyadhblues 02-16-2006 01:12 AM

Get two bikes our one mustang convertable

xlr8r 02-16-2006 01:31 AM

From the passenger's point of view, the key dimension for comfort is the distance between the seat and the footrest. Don't buy anything which puts the passenger's knees in their armpit and rotates their weight onto their tailbone. It's that simple.

Zakman 02-16-2006 01:54 AM

A Honda Pacific Coast or and SV650 with a Pacific Coast trunk/back seat melded onto it

cobblestone 02-16-2006 02:08 AM

My passenger says that to tour with her sport, the road king is king.

LIMEDUST 02-16-2006 02:55 AM

I guess it depends on how much riding you expect to do with a passenger aboard. I've had a Wing (which is obviously great with a passenger), an ST1100 and a VFR. The ST1100 was a good compromise. It offered enough room for a passenger (and all her stuff!) enough luggage and enough engine to haul it all around. Plus it was still fun to ride on your own. She enjoyed it alot, which is why I then bought a Goldwing, thinking she'd be more comfortable and ride more. But she didn't, and I was left with a huge bike that wasn't much fun to ride on your own (in my opinion).

If you're taking a passenger out for a couple of hours, every now and again, almost any ST bike would do the trick. If you're planning on riding two-up all day or take a trip, I would highly recommend the ST1100. They're cheaper now they're used, good insurance rates, about 45 mpg and reliable as hell. It seemed my wife began to ride with me less and less and so I bought the VFR. She can still come along, but its not made for that type of riding. Oh shucks ;) I'm trying to get her to learn how to ride, I think that would be a lot more fun than riding as a passenger.

Hope that helps

Paul

longride 02-16-2006 02:56 AM

I always dug the Gray Ghost myself.