Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Help! (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/help/)
-   -   Which Bike Locks Really Work? (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/help/3314-bike-locks-really-work.html)

rsk173 02-13-2006 02:30 AM

Re: Which Bike Locks Really Work?

When friends and I rented harleys in vegas, we had disc locks and cable locks. The disc lock w/ the cord that hangs on your clutch handle was the easier of the two. It let you know it was on and was small. Hope that helped. Oh yea, First Post!

naco_traficante 02-13-2006 02:40 AM

Front and rear disk locks for me.

I travel with 2 florescent-green Abus disk locks. They fit under the passenger seat and I make sure to clamp them on where they are both visible from a distance. Also got an armored cable (Oxford Revolver) but don't travel with it except on long trips to unfamiliar places.

Buzglyd 02-13-2006 03:50 AM

Just ride a Japanese "cruiser" and you can leave the key in the ignition.

esoteric0001 02-13-2006 04:21 AM

My son has a Honda VLX. Not exactly on the top of the list for theives but he has one long cable that he wraps around the frame and then to his girlfriends A frame.....on her car. He also has a nice covered chain which he wraps around the frame just behind the bars and thru the spokes of the front wheel and then....he had an internatrix bike alarm installed. So, to recap, he has the standard fork lock, the front covered chain, the long cable and an alarm system. He probably has a tick over 300.00 for all this. If a pro wants your bike he'll take it but if there's an easier target just around the corner, well, you know. It's like the two buddies out hiking in the woods. A bear starts chasing them and one of them stops to take off his boots and put on his running shoes. The other guy says "your crazy if you think you can outrun that bear." To which he replies.....I only have to outrun you. Anything helps, thieves would rather limit their exposure if at all possible. If you get a disc lock spend the extra five bucks for the clutch tether. You'll be glad you did.

Bheckel169 02-13-2006 04:53 AM

Ouch! I have a new Kawi 1600 Vulcan Classic.

sportbikebandit 02-13-2006 05:18 AM

Since I park my bike in very secured areas, I have no experience with such things. However, here is a timely review of a of a lock on a great site for product reviews

Good luck

Buzglyd 02-13-2006 05:38 AM

Sounds like his security system is worth more than the bike!

03zx12r 02-13-2006 05:49 AM

xenasecurityusa.com

I use a bright yellow Xena disc lock $ 79.95 and has a built in audio alarm. Sticks out like a sore thumb and never had a probelm. The lock is small enought to fit in your pocket and the alarm is pretty loud - If I forget it and try to move the bike - the alarm goes off before I get it moving.

BrowningBAR 02-13-2006 06:32 AM

That and a dead battery usually works...

I'm kidding.

I don't know why you ever gave up that info.

seruzawa 02-13-2006 06:35 AM

I don't know. Who would steal a 91 GSX1100G or an '84 Magna 700?