Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 02-13-2006, 09:18 AM   #21
humhead
Registered Member

Default Re: Which Bike Locks Really Work?

Curisers make much better boat anchors. They're much heavier & slower.
humhead is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-13-2006, 09:33 AM   #22
Buzglyd
Founding Member

This is getting kinda fun!
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 02:29 PM   #23
steve_griffiths
Founding Member

Seeing as it's confession time....... A few decades ago I took of on my CB200 without removing the steering lock, and learned some physics lessons (centrifugal force) in a big hurry.
steve_griffiths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 05:49 PM   #24
Fenton
Founding Member

Nothing works if someone wants your bike.

If you can't chain it to something, read the first line again.

We had a brand new Texas chopper stolen in town a couple of months ago. It was chained in front of a store on a busy street. Witnesses saw two guys push it up a ramp into a van with a skateboard under each tire.
Fenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 09:42 PM   #25
akcarlson
Founding Member

I use a Kryptonite New York lock. You could look at it as a small U-Lock or an oversized padlock. It's extremely sturdy - my bike has been outside 24/7 for about three years now, and all it needs is the occasional shot of WD40. It strikes me as being more substantial than most disc locks. It doesn't use a barrel-type lock, which one of the UK mags exposed last year as rather easy to pick. And, it comes with a lighted key and a light coil cable for reminder purposes or for lashing other stuff (like your jacket, through the arm) to the bike when you walk away.

I actually stick it through one of the speed holes in my rear sprocket, so that the chain will absorb my forward motion instead of my brake caliper if I should ever be boneheaded enough to ride off without unlocking it - not yet, knock wood.
akcarlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 03:15 AM   #26
gjbedna
Registered Member

A garage, a chain, a fence, and a security guard or an old rat bike or a 250 Nighthawk.
gjbedna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 04:14 AM   #27
oldtim
Founding Member

I had a Zena disk lock. First, it would not fit on the front disk of my 2000 Bandit. It would fit, with great difficulty on the back disk. Upon trying to lock it, the alarm would sound sometimes, then it would start beeping for no reason 'till the batteries were dead (the beeping was an indicator of low battery, I am told. If so, the battery life is absurdly short). All in all, a poor product IMO, although if you are successful in getting it on the bike, it would probably prevent a roll away theft in that it seemed strong enough.
oldtim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 04:27 AM   #28
teknoman
Registered Member

****Cheney!Use it as a target.He needs the practice!
teknoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 10:04 AM   #29
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Default Re: Outlaw skateboards!

...skateboards. Feh. Just another use for a dangerous contraption operated by miscreants that has caused more road rash than Indian Larry and Budwiser combined.

Me, I like ridin' pallet jacks around the warehouse after evabody goes home. Can get 'em into a 4 wheel drift if you getum goin fast enough.

Old 02-15-2006, 10:13 AM   #30
Hipshot
Registered Member

Locks discourage the amatuer thief, which is the one most likely to drop your baby when you bellow at him from behind. I like a loud, remotable, alarm and a small baseball bat best. I stay at cheap, ground-level motels, and when management isn't looking, I pull it in the room. Then I can change the oil, clean the chain, etc., without messing up my garage.
Hipshot is offline   Reply With Quote