Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 02-04-2006, 07:27 AM   #1
RonXX
Founding Member

Default Re: Insurance advise

Buy a used bike; they won't charge you much for collision since the bike isn't worth a whole lot to begin with.
RonXX is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-04-2006, 07:27 AM   #2
joconne
Founding Member

I'm glad to hear that you are okay - protective gear is indeed a very good idea when you have to ride in traffic. I'd make sure to give a complete written explanation of the accident to your insurance company, and since nobody bothered to stop, try and match your story to the police report. It seems to me that if they are consistent then you have a good argument for claiming that you were not the only one at fault here.
joconne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 07:46 AM   #3
BillyO
Registered Member

No ins. advise.I`m just amazed that no one would take time and care to render aid to you.

I went down on my Buell cyclone 5 years ago

on a hairpin curve and people stopped and were VERY helpful.This may be the difference between "City" and "country" attitudes.

Gotta love old time New Hampshire.

Billy O
BillyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 08:32 AM   #4
nesbit
Founding Member

Presume you've contacted your insurer and R on the way to resolution. They will (should) handle everything - that's what you're paying for. If you are in a "no fault" state, you probably have no exposure. Most importantly, if you didn't have collision and liability on your policy, and additional medical insurance, beyond whatever your individual family or job coverages are, you want to be thinking about adding it to your coverages. Fortunately, and most importantly, it appears you were not seriously injured. Good luck and keep us advised about just how supportive your current insurer is.
nesbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 09:33 AM   #5
jhenzie
Founding Member

Sorry if I gave the impression that nobody stopped. Several people took really good care of me until the ambulance arrived. It is just that the truck that clipped me and all the drivers that would have seen the accident did not. Those that I came to rest between could not have been more courteous and caring.

Sorry for the misinformation.

jhenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 09:33 AM   #6
jhenzie
Founding Member

Sorry if I gave the impression that nobody stopped. Several people took really good care of me until the ambulance arrived. It is just that the truck that clipped me and all the drivers that would have seen the accident did not. Those that I came to rest between could not have been more courteous and caring.

Sorry for the misinformation.

Old 02-04-2006, 09:34 AM   #7
jhenzie
Founding Member

Thanks for the excellent advise all.

Will keep you aprised of my dealings with the insurance company.

-jh
Old 02-04-2006, 09:36 AM   #8
nweaver
Founding Member

Uninsured motorist coverage. Most UI also includes hit & run coverage.

nweaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 09:38 AM   #9
acecycleins
Founding Member

I am an agent (I do not play one on TV). The last five years of my life have been consumed with insuring motorcyclist. The info I give should help. First, the cops gave you a police report stating your side of the accident, right? If the insurance company has any backbone they will accept this as proof that you were in a "no win situation". If you pay for uninsured motorist or underinsured motorist coverage the insurance company will most likely allow you to use that clause to make the claim. If not raise hell with the claims manager (don't even bother going through the supervisor crap). Also, most companies have "riders" or provisions that allow for the loss of gear in an accident> That rider may only be $1000 in most companies and the companies will usually not budge over that. But you have to take into account wear and tear for depreciation sake. If the company that insures you does not have a gear clause you are SOL. All in all, the insurance company will drag its feet a little. The things you must know. If the bike is less than a year old you can in most cases get full replacement cost for the bike. The majority of companies will allow for this. Companies like Progressive and Pacific Specialty (McGraw Group) usually will start depreciation 3 months off the showroom floor so you'd be stuck with Actual Cash Value for the ride. When negotiating the final settlement get your facts in front of you. Search the papers, Cycle trader, NADA and Kelly Blue Book for like bikes. The insurance company will offer low. (It's there job- don't take it personally). You have to get them to a point that is acceptable. Using Trader and the newspaper will show the company market value (it works). Loss ratio effects everyone in this industry (including the agent that sold you the deal). Stay firm on the price you are looking for on the settlement for the bike but be flexible on the gear and everything will work out. If you need to talk hit me up and I will go into further detail.
Old 02-04-2006, 02:26 PM   #10
jhenzie
Founding Member

Thanks for the awesome advice.

That helps enormously.

-jh