Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 01-23-2006, 12:06 PM   #11
03zx12r
Registered Member

Default Re: Tire Pressure Query

I run the the front tire at 32-36 psi and the rear at 34-38psi on track days. These pressures are too low for the street, but when the tires are warm on the track, My ZX-12r will stay behind the 600's, but coming out of the turns and getting on the throttle-wow.. you know right away that the tires are set right. 600's seeing taillights until the next turn.
03zx12r is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-23-2006, 12:11 PM   #12
nesbit
Founding Member

If manufacturers were intentional advising cyclists to run at overinflated pressures, they would be exposing themselves to liability resulting from irregular tread wear at the edge of the contact patch, fatigue cracking, overstressing and eventual failure of the tire carcass. Likewise for underinflated tires, which can result in imprecise cornering, higher running temperatures, irregular tread wear at the edge of the contact patch, fatigue cracking, and overstressing and eventual failure of the tire carcass. Quite simply, correct inflation values are directly related to easily verified tire wear patterns and, though somewhat subjective, perceived performance by the rider. What other bizarre advise were you given by this character?
nesbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 12:27 PM   #13
johnnyb
Founding Member

Hello. Lowering pressure a bit allows the carcass to flex more, which creates heat, which is what makes the rubber get Hot and Sticky... most street tires like 30-32 for track use.
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 01:12 PM   #14
SuperBill
Founding Member

So, can the pilots adjust airplane tire pressure from the seat (like a HUMVEE) or do they have to go outside with a hose before the plane lands?

SuperBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 01:40 PM   #15
Casey_Daniel
Founding Member

Let's use some common sense. If your on a cruiser or dual sport does it really matter that you maximize the contact patch/sidewall flex for maximum cornering? I'd say no. If you're not on the track go with what's comfortable and recommended. If you have a bike for the track then let's hope you make an attempt to understand the setup and tire pressures a little beyond the instruction manual. If it feels like it's squirming under you then add a couple of pounds at a time until it goes away. Heat the tires up and check the hot pressure etc...
Casey_Daniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 06:40 PM   #16
The_Aerodynamic_Head
Founding Member

Yeah...what he said...which is what I just said, though more verbosely, which is why he's the former journo and II still aspire to that lofty state.
Old 01-24-2006, 01:44 AM   #17
tripletango
Founding Member

Are you confusing tire manufacturers recommended maximum pressures vs bike manufacturers recommended tire pressures?

They are very different.

The only time you need to lower tire pressures 10lbs from pressures recommended by manufacturer is if you are going to ride the bike at it's maximum braking, acceleration and cornering potential for a long period of time. The heat generated will result in dangerous over pressuring of the tire which can lead to failure. This is hard to do on the road!

Main thing is to check pressures weekly and keep the pressures within a couple of pounds of recommendations either way front and rear as you get the feel of the bike, then stick with what you like.

This action alone results in longer tire life and a safer bike.
tripletango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 01:49 AM   #18
tripletango
Founding Member

Only if he has a nitrogen bottle!!
tripletango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 04:59 AM   #19
red916
Founding Member

Over 25 years here. And yes, I've heard that. Track days on my NT650 I've found that 30-30 suits me perfect. My RC51 is maintained at 29-31, My ST1300 gets the 34-36, while my DRZ400SM sits on 25-25.
red916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 07:09 AM   #20
Tigercub
Founding Member

Let's see. 10lbs off a maximum tire pressure of 42psi puts you right at the pressure your classmates agreed should be used. Hmmmm.

Why wouldn't warranty or insurance reasons be the same as safety and performance reasons?

Anyway, it might be that dropping the tire pressure 10psi from the maximum allows the extra heat of riding hard on a track to prevent the pressure from exceeding the tires maximum recommended tire pressure.
Tigercub is offline   Reply With Quote