Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 01-20-2006, 08:34 AM   #1
jimfitz
Founding Member

Default Re: A sportbike tyre for the street?

I also ride in Seattle and have been happy with the Metzler Sport-Tecs that came standard on my V-11 sport. I ride with a guy who runs Metzlers on his K-1200 R and we've had both sporting and rainy day rides. We've both been happy with the Metzler. There is a tire review (27 street tires tested) in the December 2005 issue of Sport Rider Magazine. The Metzlers ranked well, as did the Pilot Power and Pirelli Diablo. Of the tires reviewed, I've only ridden the Metzlers, but I found the article validated my experience with the tire and have been satisfied in wet conditions. I have 5,000 miles on the tires and they show moderate wear.
jimfitz is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-20-2006, 08:45 AM   #2
xlr8r
Founding Member

I ride in the rain a fair bit (in the UK you have to!) and although my R1100R doesn't have the 955's bhp, the tyres have to carry a lot of weight and transmit the boxer's relatively high torque. I get 10,000 miles a pair out of Bridgestone BT 020's, and never a squirm or a slide.
xlr8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 09:19 AM   #3
Buzglyd
Founding Member

I run a Metzler Road Tec on the back and a Sport Tec on the front. Not a whole lot of rain in these parts but I least that way the tires wear out at the same time and you have the benefit of the softer front.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 09:26 AM   #4
Labrat
Founding Member

I have BT 010's on my ZX-9, and usually get around 8,000 miles out of them, and that included a couple of track days with the current set.
Labrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 09:36 AM   #5
tsloan
Registered Member

I completely wore out a ME-1 Sport tec in 1800 miles on a 1200S Bandit. I was touring with my wife and had bags on the bike. We ride an FZ1 on backroads in West Virginia and North Carolina and wear the sides off Road Tecs in 3500 miles. The bike is at maximum gross vehicle weight. The best mileage I've ever gotten out of a Sport Tec was 5600 and that was lightly loaded. We ride in the rain all the time and the Road Tecs are great. I love the tires but my trips last longer than 3500 miles so I am looking for something harder.

tsloan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 09:50 AM   #6
pushrod
Founding Member

I've been running the Battlax BT-020 on the rear and the BT-010 on the front of my Sprint STs. They last about the same mileage (around 12K), and I've slipped the rear only occasionally on the sugar sand we have EVERYWHERE around here.

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 09:54 AM   #7
SuperBill
Founding Member

I used to run Pilot Sports on my Honda VTR1000 SuperHawk. Loved the tires, but only got about 3000-4000 miles. Switched to Pilot Roads. TheyÂ’ve got about 5000 aggressive road miles and two track days on them (but no burnouts) and it looks like theyÂ’ll be good for a thousand or so more on the road before we get down to the wear bars. Wet weather performance is excellent, and they warm up quicker than the Pilot Sports, especially when air temperatures drop below 40 F. Comfortable ride, too. Some of the professional racers/editors that reviewed the Pilot Roads reported decreased lap times compared to the Pilot Sports, but at my skill level, thereÂ’s been no difference in lap times or street performance.

For touring, the Pilot Sports would start to square off after about 500-600 miles on the slab. I havenÂ’t noticed this on the Pilot Roads, but it may be because I havenÂ’t done a long stretch of slab with them yet.

On the topic of "sport touring," I recently read a very favorable article in the BMW Owner's News about Tomahawk retreads. The author reported good price, good performance, and good wear. Got me interested....

SuperBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 11:27 AM   #8
nitrofly
Founding Member

When you say 'done' do you mean like this?

http://tinyurl.com/bzx68
Old 01-20-2006, 11:27 AM   #9
johnnyb
Founding Member

i just wrap my rims in duct tape now. stickier and cheap as hell. BMWs are great, you can put em on the centerstand and just wrap more tape on either wheel no problem.

where is everybody? i need some content dammit. Anybody know anything about Husqvarna TE250? street legal dirt bike looks like fun to me.
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 11:28 AM   #10
blamtoad
Registered Member

I've had micheline pilot road and pirelli diablo strada's they're both great in the rain and I get 6000-8000 miles but they are not true sport bike tires. a zx 11 is not flickable for me
blamtoad is offline   Reply With Quote