Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 01-21-2006, 07:13 AM   #31
ELI_1
Registered Member

Default Re: A sportbike tyre for the street?

I had a chance to try the new Pilot Powers with zero miles in a rain and hail storm. Fantastic Feedback, Traction & Confidence with No brake in. I'm hooked!

I was riding to work and was caught off guard by the storm (must have slept through that weather report, grinz . . .). Wear and cost were a great value as well.

Good Luck,

Elias

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-21-2006, 07:24 AM   #32
maladg
Registered Member

As my "fat lady" has obsolete wheel/tire sizes, I run a Metz Z-6 ft and MEZ-4 rear. On my second set.

Very pleased, though I prefered the ft feel with the MEZ-4 ft, but could only getting 3K offa "4" ft before cupping - yes I run adequate tire pressure, thank you vrmuch. Decent in the rain here in the humid SE USA. Good feel in the twisties even with the pavement crushing weight of an ST11. Oh, one other thing...The chubby lady feels a bit better if I run more like 38 in the Z-6 ft. The "4" felt very good at fac rec 36.

My -er - advisor loves the Mich Pilots. I'd try 'em, but would have to upgrade to a newer bike.

Sounds like as good an excuse as any to me.
maladg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 09:39 AM   #33
slo1
Founding Member

Pilot Roads rule. 8K out of the last rear, SPORTtouring the FZ1, with the occasional high speed blast (ton plus) to get to the good stuff (like across Nevada. I ride with a guy who swears by Conti Road Attacks on his speed3 as well.

slo1
slo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 10:30 AM   #34
sconley
Founding Member

Default Not really a reply, more of an additional question...

How about a recommendation for a street tire that can do about six track days a year? For a Buell XB? Any recommendations for dual compound tires? Used to have a track only bike and a street bike... The bike is ok at either but the tires are a problem and I don't feel like remounting every time I go to the track. Any thoughts would be appreciated... Thanks, sc
sconley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 02:58 PM   #35
rsser
Founding Member

I run the Pilot Roads on my '04 Trumpy Sprint and am happy with them. Got 7,000km out of the last rear, cp with 3,500 out of the Pilot Powers. This is mostly hard riding through the twisties on less that perfect blacktop, along with some commuting.

Wet grip is good. They don't quite have the same amount of rubber in contact with the road when you're at peg scraping angles as the Powers but this shouldn't worry you if you don't do 'track' days.
Old 01-21-2006, 03:00 PM   #36
rsser
Founding Member

I run the Pilot Roads on my '04 Trumpy Sprint and am happy with them. Got 7,000km out of the last rear, cp with 3,500 out of the Pilot Powers. This is mostly hard riding through the twisties on less that perfect blacktop, along with some commuting.

Wet grip is good. They don't quite have the same amount of rubber in contact with the road when you're at peg scraping angles as the Powers but this shouldn't worry you if you don't do 'track' days.
Old 01-21-2006, 07:20 PM   #37
The_Aerodynamic_Head
Founding Member

I ran the Tourance on my GS1150 Adventure, which always ran at the very high end of allowable weight. the tires routinely went to the edges. the dragon, the cherohala syway, all with loaded bags, and my fat corpse. i got 13.5k from the front,a dn a little over nine thou' on the rear. Contemporaneously, a 929 i spent most of my riding with at that time switched to MEZ-6s when they came out, and she started doing slightly less than twice the mileage per tire than she had on her michelins. she went to (IIRC) about 8000-8500 on front and about 6500-7000-ish on back.

i like the metzlers.
Old 01-23-2006, 08:21 AM   #38
davidhaner
Founding Member

I ride in seattle too, and have ridden all winter even through the past 35 days of rain or whatever it has been, and I have been very happy with Michelin Pilot Power tires.

http://www.tiresnstuff.com/mich-pilotPower.html

http://two-wheels.michelin.com/2w/fr...135921&lang=EN
davidhaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 08:38 AM   #39
v4bryan
Registered Member

I've run Bridgestones, SporTec M1s, and Avon Azaros (45/46) on my Blackbird, and the Bridgestones gave the longest wear (6000+ miles on the back) with the worst feel in the cold or wet. The Sportecs were the best feeling tire for grip in all conditions: too bad the rear cooked in lest than 2500 miles *3 times in a row*. I've been running the Avons pretty steady since the 45/46 series came out and they're best of the 3 tires I've run: just a grippy on the street as the Sportecs (but a tad harsher feeling), and averaging about 5k miles per rear. I've heard of people bad mouthing the Avons in the wet, but I've never seen it-and I've run them in some serious rain, rain/snow mix conditions at (what were in retrospect) stupidly elevated speeds and lean angles.

Bryan...I'm intrigued by the Pilot Powers...
v4bryan is offline   Reply With Quote