Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 01-20-2006, 12:38 PM   #11
zxr250cc
Founding Member

Default Re: A sportbike tyre for the street?

I lived in Japan for quite a while and road year round in the rain and shine. I had very good results with Bridgestone bt-50 and bt-56 tires. they were good rain or shine on a ZX 6E kawasaki that weighs about 525 lbs full of fuel and oil. the handling was good on both and they were good for mileage also. I use the BT 56 tires now in a ZX 6E here in NC. I would expect newer versions to be even better. It really rains a lot in Japan and I found the Bridgestones to be excellent in city commuting and high speed travel on cross country toll ways.

I like the shape of the tire and the way they allow an even roll onto the side and back. I preferred this to the more triangular shape of the Dunlop tires the 'Kwak' had when I bought it...
zxr250cc is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-20-2006, 01:33 PM   #12
curvelover
Registered Member

I am in Atlanta and ride a 750 Monster at track days. I find the Pilot Power to be slower to warm up, but provides better traction when hot. I also get more days out of the Michelin on the rear (8 vs 6)

I had a blast at Road Atlanta in September in the rain on the Michelins. A friend on a 996 on race wets never saw me.

I do not have a clue how life will compare to a Pilot Street.

What it boils down to is that all you can really do is spend your money and make your own decisions. If you want to try something else, then do. You can always change back.
curvelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 01:35 PM   #13
curvelover
Registered Member

I failed to state in comparison to a Metzler Sportec M-1.
curvelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 02:32 PM   #14
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Hey JB

Is there something in the Motorcyclist style guide that demands the use of the word "tasty" to describe the offerings of a manufacturer?

I have never seen so many references to taste and tasty in my entire life. I didn't realize that was such a cool term!
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 03:02 PM   #15
jibosch
Registered Member

I strongly suggest you look into the Pirelli Diablo line of tyres. I got 3000 miles on Dunlop D208's, and I get about 5000 miles on the Diablos, with a lot more stability and grip. I will be trying the Michelin Power's next, and I expect excellent grip also, but I am just not sure I will get the mileage I have gotten from the Diablo's, been through two sets now of Diablos, on a Buell 1200cc Cyclone. Good Luck!
jibosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 03:03 PM   #16
Loki22302
Founding Member

I love the Pirelli Diablos. I'll get 6000 miles out of a set. The Diablo Stradas should last longer. I had great wet weather traction from a set of Avons. The Avons were on a Sprint ST. I used an AV49 (sport) in the front and an AV46 (sport touring) in the back.

I did not like the Michelin Pilots.
Loki22302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 05:16 PM   #17
Dangerousdave_2
Registered Member

I have a VFR, (same weight, less power) and the Sport tecs seem to be good for about 4 to 5000 miles of hard riding. You will have to think hard about how hard you ride. If you ride hard, you won't want anything longer wearing than a sport tec. I don't know how much grip you give up with the road tecs, but it wouldn't surprise me if they were a bit better in the rain. (Not a big concern here in semi-sunny Northern California.
Dangerousdave_2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 05:54 PM   #18
duran
Registered Member

I have a Pirelli Diablo on the front wheel, and a Diablo Strata on my rear tire. it's a 1996 VFR750, and I've rode in the rain both slow and fast.

The bike sticks to the road like glue and I've never had any problems... (except that one time I hit an oil patch, but I recovered... not much you can do there).

I HIGHLY recomend them.

http://arizonamoto.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=SWMT&Category_ Code=Strada
duran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 06:15 PM   #19
mbwalker
Registered Member

I'm quite happy with the Michelin Pilot Roads on my Honda 919. After 3,000 miles of commuting on twisty roads and sport touring, the rear is showing little, if any, wear. The original Hi Sports were done after 3,000 miles - rear worn flat, front cupped.
mbwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 07:52 PM   #20
nesbit
Founding Member

Dunlop "Q"
nesbit is offline   Reply With Quote