Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 01-14-2006, 08:19 PM   #1
staff
Registered Member

Default Re: First Modern Sports Bike

vermicious,

For what it's worth, I'd suggest the XB12Scg based upon your supplied 'criteria.' Especially considering the fact that don't intend to go to the track, but if you change your mind the Buell will be great fun on the track. You'll love the practicality, streetfighteresque quality and loads of character offered by the Buell(s). Of course the other three are stellar machines and you wouldn't short change yourself with them but you might find them to be like riding tiny missiles and that may not be the best way to start your sportbike riding career. And I definitely wouldn't recommend them to a new rider, which by your own admission you are to the degree that you've never really ridden a modern sportbike. They accelerate like demons and require a subtle throttle hand. Best 'o luck—Pete, Managing Editor
staff is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-15-2006, 12:36 AM   #2
WeeBee
Registered Member

Hop-on-and-go: Buell. No valve adjustment, no chain lube, not much shifting required. Buell dealers usually will let you test ride so you can pick the one that suits you best (I like the looks of the Lightning better).
WeeBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 02:45 AM   #3
Hipshot
Registered Member

As a guy who kinda went the other direction, from crotch rockets to Harleys, let me put my two cents in. Don't overlook the middleweight machines. Some of these 600's are almost as fast as the 1 liter bombs, but much more flckable and more fun, for a lot less money. And, you don't have to have the latest 600cc track weapon to have a machine that steers by thought. Many of the less than 100 HP machines are cheap and very, very fun.
Hipshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 03:20 AM   #4
gbrummett
Founding Member

Default Only thing is he would miss the torque

Only thing is he would miss the torque. The 600 machines although fun in their own right and good corning machines have very little torque down low. Since he's used to riding higher torque machines the Buell's would be the better choice.
gbrummett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 04:25 AM   #5
jeffreyzone
Registered Member

I agree with what most are saying about the literbikes you listed from Honda, Suzuki and Yamaha. Even on the track, those motorcycles might be more of a handful than a good time. And for the street, they are overkill.

The Buells are cool. In addition to the ones you listed, I would consider the XB9R Firebolt. The engine isn't as smooth as the XB12 engine, but to me the 9R seems better balanced for carving tight roads. If you live close (within an hour or so) to your favorite twisty roads, I don't see how you could go wrong with the 9R.

I'd also consider the Suzuki SV bikes; you can probably get a great deal on one of the 1000cc models, and like the Buell, the SVs provide a lot of torque. But the light weight, extreme geometry, unique styling, and belt drive are all good reasons to justify paying the extra bucks for a Buell.

You might consider adding the new Triumph Daytona 675 to your list. (See, Triumph, your ad money is well-spent here!!!) Seriously, the 675 promises to offer a balance of torque and high-revving fun in a lightweight package suited for commuting, carving the backroads, and playing on the race track. I'd like to test ride one back-to-back against the XB9R. Hey, maybe MO can do another comparo soon...

Good luck with your search!
jeffreyzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 04:33 AM   #6
emxgarcia
Founding Member

Buell Lightning XB12Scg
Old 01-15-2006, 04:50 AM   #7
pudlepirate
Registered Member

I personaly "multitask" (comute, play, etc) my triumph speed triple, even the new one is cheaper than any of the others you have listed and the 02-04 version is plenty capable, handling is exellant and it certainly has the power to get you to trafic court in three points or more without making each outing an underwear replacer. I am a few inches shorter than you and seat height is ok, it seemed a little high at first, but after 12k miles it feels second nature. it has plenty of clearance in the twisties. you really need to work to drag a peg in a corner. I really like the bars/ riding position, (due to an injury to my throtle hand I have a real problem with low clip ons.) all in all it is a fun and reliable machine that you can ride for 10 minutes or three hours and feel safe on with out your race leathers.
pudlepirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 04:54 AM   #8
allbikesbiker
Registered Member

I also, begrudgingly.. pick the Buell, if the choice must be one of the above.

I would suggest the 9 instead of the 12 though.

If you're not looking for top end.

(which neither Buell is very good at)

save yourself some cash and get the 9B.

The R1 is out of the question. Tooooo light/fast/twitchy.

The GSXR is way too powerful for most, if not all riders.

The Honda is the most user friendly but still wouldn't be a good first time sport bike.

I'd look into the SV1000S if you'd like to add it to your look-see list.

The seat height might be an issue.
allbikesbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 05:51 AM   #9
bboule
Founding Member

Get one of the I-4s... if you want to experience what sport bikes are all about get something as different as possible from your current Harley. The Buell is not it if you want to see the other side. Or get one of the 600s as others have mentioned.

That said if you get *any* of these bikes you owe it to yourself to go to the track. All of these bikes deserve to be taken to the track, and it's hard to tell if you'll ever understand what they're all about without going.
bboule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 06:39 AM   #10
Casey_Daniel
Founding Member

I've had a number of bikes from an 82 Virago, CBR 929, F4I, and a BMW GS Adventure. I'd go with a 600. Less insurance, tires last longer, cheaper on gas. For what it sounds like you want I'd get the current F4I or the Yamaha R6S. If money isn't really too much of a consideration then I will say the 929 was probably the best street bike I've had. Enough power that I didn't have to shift all the time. I think that's what the liter bikes are really about on the street, having the ability to be a lazy rider if you want. It's a pretty nice thing to have as long as you have the discipline to ride a liter bike in that manner. Of course the new hyper 600's are putting out as much hp as the 929 still not as much torque which is what allows you to putt around. That's my pocket change for what it's worth.
Casey_Daniel is offline   Reply With Quote