Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 01-16-2006, 04:36 PM   #81
pplassm
Founding Member

Default Re: First Modern Sports Bike

I ride with a few fast off-road guys who dual sport these things. They move right out, although my 2 stroke punches out of the corners faster. I have ridden them, and they are fun bikes. Also check out the Supermoto version. Dirt Bike magazine says that the SM, with an extra set of wheel, is the untilmate dual-sport.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-16-2006, 04:56 PM   #82
DaveFla
Founding Member

Why would you race with the belt and try to match gearing to the track design with, say, custom made belt sprockets - when chains & their simpler sprockets are readily available?

I like my Buell's belt just fine - on the street.

DaveFla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 05:28 PM   #83
gbrummett
Founding Member

Default You get used to it

Just two things to say about cornering poorly on the brakes.

1. Don't trail brake.

2. You get used to counter steering when braking hard.
gbrummett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 05:29 PM   #84
vermicious
Registered Member

yeah, just took a look at the tuono ... I simultaneously repelled and attracted to that bike haha -- I need to see more shots of the black paint job
Old 01-17-2006, 04:26 AM   #85
jeffreyzone
Registered Member

Default Re: As an older and very happy Buell Lightning...

For the street, any of the twins mentioned offer nice engine braking from reasonable speeds. That is a big advantage if you're riding tight roads. It will be intereresting to see how the Triumph 675 will compare in this respect. I test rode the Buells on some nice twisting north-Georgia mountain roads, and I loved them all, but the 9R topped my list. It just felt more like a total package to me. But the Suzuki SV650S offers a similar riding position and a smoother engine, although the suspension isn't as good.

I've ridden the '05 GSX-R600 on the track, and it too offers terrific engine braking...but you've gotta be going A LOT faster to take advantage of it. The 600 supersports are simply fantastic motorcycles, but for my riding style, they are best for track days only. I would not enjoy a superbike on the street, but I can understand what these guys are saying about respecting the throttle and staying in control on the street. My cousin rides a 2003 GSX-R1000, and for me, that is just too much bike for the commuting duty that he does. But hey, he wanted it, so he got it. More power to him!

There's one other motorcycle that might fit your needs: The 2005 or 2006 Kawasaki ZZR-600. It's basically a repackaged '02 ZX-6R, which means it has better ergos for the street. You could get one of those for $7K and spend another $2,500 or so on suspension and exhaust, and you'd have a lot of cash left over for track days. In fact, you could go ahead and purchase bodywork and an extra set of wheels/tires specifically for the track, and you'd still come in under your budget. Can you tell that I've been considering doing just that?

Of course, the key is for you to get what you want. Every motorcycle tha's been suggested here is great. Considering your experience level, you can't go wrong anywhere.

One word of caution, however: If you go to a dealer who is well-stocked with new Italian motorcycles, you will probably be seduced by all of the beautiful things on display, and you'll forget about everything you've read. Nothing wrong with that!
jeffreyzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 04:41 AM   #86
v4bryan
Registered Member

Default Re: You get used to it

Just one thing to say:

1) Why limit yourself to a bike that only lets you ride one way?
v4bryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 06:56 AM   #87
bollert
Registered Member

Default Re: You get used to it

I noticed it too on mine, after I read about it, but I don't notice it anymore. On the track, non-issue for me
bollert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 10:17 AM   #88
gas_pig
Founding Member

My '02 FZ1 is just spiffy.
Old 01-19-2006, 09:51 AM   #89
vermicious
Registered Member

Well, thanks for all of the input folks.

I considered everything everyone had to say and ultimately decided to put down a deposit on a 2006 Tuono

Thanks again and happy riding.

verm