Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 01-16-2006, 09:58 AM   #71
vermicious
Registered Member

Default Re: As an older and very happy Buell Lightning...

Well I'm only 31 but I don't have designs on becoming a contortionist and "comfortable ride" sounds pretty good to me.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-16-2006, 10:06 AM   #72
sarnali
Founding Member

Default Re: First Modern Sports Bike

Having a decent dealership nearby is a big plus, there's nothing worse than having trouble with a new bike and getting jacked around trying to get them to step up and cover their product, or doing a butcher job trying to fix it.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 10:11 AM   #73
sarnali
Founding Member

Default Re: Scr3w it!!!

That's a good combo, I was surprised at how good the Speed 4 felt when I got the Thruxton. I had my heart set on an A/C twin but the S4 was a hard one to turn down.
Old 01-16-2006, 10:20 AM   #74
sarnali
Founding Member

I put 43K trouble free miles on my '02 Trophy 1200 before it and me got punted down the road, I can honestly say it was the best and most reliable out of the 24 bikes I've owned.

If Triumph still made them I would have got one instead of my Dyna. I'm having a ball riding the Dyna, don't get me wrong, but the Trophy was a bike that was designed and built for me.

I forgot about the 599 Honda and that would also be an excellent choice for a competant sporty bike. But I'd tryn' find a Speed 4 if I was in your position.
Old 01-16-2006, 10:40 AM   #75
Tigercub
Founding Member

"72 Commando - 750. Mine is a '74 850 Commando. Those machines were designed in about '66 to '67 as a stop gap to the demise of Norton by Doug Hele. Based on the 750 Atlas twin the idea was to isolate the engine tranny unit from the frame. So, the engine is bolted to the transmission with two plates, which is bolted to the swingarm and hence rear wheel. The frame and front end is isolated from the drive train unit by rubber bushings front and rear. The top end uses a rubber mount as well. The clutch uses a single spring diaphram. The whole concept is very similar to the Harley setup. The motors generate a lot of torque. As race bikes they were pretty good, but with a rubber mounted frame the handling was not good unless the frame was bolted tight to the engine, which lost all vibration damping. Flat track Norton engines of the '70s were bolted solid to the frame.

This so-called isolastic mounting is really strange. At low rpm (below 3000) the bike is a paint shaker, but right at 3700rpm it's dead smooth - no vibration at all.
Tigercub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 10:46 AM   #76
Tigercub
Founding Member

Suzuki 400cc single cylinder dual purpose bike. They look a little old dirt bike funky, but is on my want list if I could just squeeze one more bike in the garage without selling one.
Tigercub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 11:37 AM   #77
v4bryan
Founding Member

Default If I had to pick...

...I'd say "none of the above". The Buells I've test ridden have cornered poorly on the brakes, and I've yet to meet one that had a single handed clutch pull or an acceptable transmission. Granted, my last Buell test ride was in the fall of '04, and *some* things may have changed-but I bet not all. As for the liter bikes, they all have too much juice for the street, insurance premiums to match, and the ability to get you noticed by Johnny Law even if it's parked up in your garage. May I humbly suggest a liter class standard? THe honda 919 is very nice if a tad over-priced, and the Yamaha FZ-1 may be the best all purpose bike out there. I wouldn't suggest you look at the SV1000 unless you're looking at an older model without the clip-ons they went to a few years ago. The Triple is nice too, but kinda pricey and it throws a fair bit of heat in traffic.

Bryan...and for $15K you could get a bike, track day lessons, and a nice vacation...
v4bryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 12:26 PM   #78
pdad13
Founding Member

I've heard that only 20% of the U.S. bikes are spoken for now. Yes, probably most of the first shipment.

Of course, expect that to change somewhat after the first reviews come out.

Makes me want to go out a drop a deposit (must resist...must resist...)
pdad13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 01:40 PM   #79
riyadhblues
Founding Member

I have ridden them all and now I have a 03 Buell Firebolt

Get a Buell and have the suspension dialed in

It's the best for street use
riyadhblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 03:12 PM   #80
HornetRider
Founding Member

Just bought a Buell Ulysess. Man what blast. Didn't even try the other 2 you have on your short list. I'm sure you will have lots of fun if you went with the Buell
HornetRider is offline   Reply With Quote