Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 01-16-2006, 07:46 AM   #61
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Re: First Modern Sports Bike

Modern belts work just fine.

The racing Buells use chains because it's easier to change the gearing for a particular track.

On a curvy road a Buell will keep up with anything.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-16-2006, 07:47 AM   #62
Tigercub
Founding Member

There's a lot of recommendations about the Triumph Daytona 675. Those won't be available in my local dealership until about spring and the first ones are going to those who have already put down a deposit. Also, if you do consider one request a demo ride from the dealership - Triumph have been real good about riding their bikes before buying them. You may find the bar too low.
Tigercub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 07:54 AM   #63
vermicious
Registered Member

A snortin' Norton, really? is it the single cyllinder (or did they only make single cyllinders?)?
Old 01-16-2006, 08:04 AM   #64
vermicious
Registered Member

My budget is about $15k .
Old 01-16-2006, 08:06 AM   #65
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Then get thee to an Italian motorcycle dealer and allow yourself to be lured!
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 08:57 AM   #66
gr8shandini
Registered Member

I'll second the Speed Triple. I've been riding an '05 since July and it's quite possibly the most fun motorcycle there is.
gr8shandini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 09:15 AM   #67
gbrummett
Founding Member

Default As an older and very happy Buell Lightning...

As an older and very happy Buell Lightning XB12S owner I just had to add my two cents.

I currently own a 2004 Honda Gold Wing and a 2004 XB12S with race kit. I have owned 250 Ninja, 900 Ninja, 1200 Buell Cyclone and have had several different bikes on the track including a Ducati ST3 and 999. I ride about 15 to 18,000 miles a year.

First off, if you are in your mid 40's or higher you are not going to want to ride a Buell Firebolt XB12R very far to get to any twisties. I have borrowed my friends and was amazed at how different the riding position feels compared to my XB12S Lightning. The Lightning is more of a friendly upright ride all day affair. The Firebolt XB12R feels like I am sitting on an insect with my neck bent to see forward and my body supported by my wrists. Also the footpegs feel like I have my knees in my stomach. (the S and R pgs are easily interchanged by the way).

Now don't get me wrong, at a light I loved that R riding position, you can really nail the Firebolt hard off the line, much harder then the Lightning before the front end comes up, at least for me it feels like I am really in control in that situation even if I'm leaning over as far as I can on the S it still feels lighter on the front end for some reason. Anyway if you are only 1/2 a mile from the twisty stuff, the R is great and all is well.

However, if you are an older rider, and you like riding a little farther give the S Lightning it's due.

Both Buell's are a lot of fun and very easy to maintain and cheap to ride if you ride a lot. If you get either Buell be sure to get the race kit.

If you don't mind lubing a chain and have more money to spend, I really loved both the Ducati ST3 and 999. That extra rev range is really nice and they are very different in some respects then the Buells even though they are V-twins, but they are more expensive.

A lot of people above have recommended the Triumph Daytona 675. Nice bike, but it's more of a middle weight race replica complete with waiting list and not what you hinted at that you were interested in. If I were to choose a Triumph it would have to be the new Triumph Speed Triple 1050. It's the one bike I almost bought instead of my Buell. The entire package really lights my fire and I think it's more of a bike you would be happy with instead of a Daytona 675.

Why didn't I purchase the Triple? Two things, I love not having to mess with a chain, I have heard stories about the local Triumph dealer and I really didn't want to deal with them.

In the end though, it's all up to you...

Happy hunting... and riding...

gbrummett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 09:20 AM   #68
christian_gates
Founding Member

I own a CBR1000RR. It is F A S T. There are not many places on public roads where you can pin the throttle with anything resembling a margin of safety, and even then, you can only do it for a few seconds at a time. The acceleration figures listed in the magazines, while perhaps not fully attainable in everyday driving, should give you an indication: 0 - 60 in 3 and 0 - 100 in what, 6 or 7 and change? That's light-speed by any description.

Now, all that being said, the handling is rather lovely and it's a very nice, stable ride, which is a benefit when the road gets a little bumpy or slippery. It's very confidence inspiring in the sense that it encourages you do adopt the approved the technique instead of sh**ting yourself and doing something dangerous.

All that being said, I would agree with most of the rest and suggest that you strongly consider a 600cc (or Kwak 636 or 650 or whatever it is) or Buell as your first sportbike.

The full-go 1000cc rides are kind of a huge leap from the non-sportbike world. The differences really are ridiculous. And sportbikes are not easy to ride well in any case. Why add one more very difficult to measure variable? You'll have plenty of time to get one later.
christian_gates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 09:26 AM   #69
cota
Registered Member

Just a suggestion. Take a look at the DRZ400S. If you want to cut the corners, don't want bunches more insurance, and would like the Harley crowd to talk to you when your on the bike, the Dual Sports seem to hold some sort of middle ground. They aren't awfully fast but on a tight road they are really a blast. The also have the benefit of being real inexpensive and easy to maintain.
cota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 09:49 AM   #70
vermicious
Registered Member

Well, I'm not a social rider (or generally a social person) so talking to other rider's is a non-issue. Still, I'd like to check the bike out... but... uh... what's a DRZ400S and who makes it?