Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 01-15-2006, 05:39 AM   #11
sarnali
Founding Member

Default Re: First Modern Sports Bike

I'd get the Buell 1200 Scg or the Triumph 675. I wouldn't recommend the Suzuki, Yamaha or Honda because they really are much much more than you need for the street.

The Triumph should be a real screamer and unique with the triple wail and power delivery. New Triumphs have proven themselves very reliable and reasonably priced. Another good choice would be the Speed 4 if you can find one, MO did a review on one a while back so you can read up a little.

I think the Buell Lightening would make a great first or second bike and for real-world street applications would probably be the best choice for you. For the kind of roads I ride around here, tight twisty back roads and mountain passes one would be ideal plus the riding position is a little less extreme than the others though I found the Speed 4 to be surprisingly roomy for my large size.

So, forget about the GSXR, R1, CBR-RR's and get the Buell or wait in line for a Daytona
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-15-2006, 06:05 AM   #12
clively
Founding Member

I agree with the Buells being your best bet. However, check your local dealers to see who has the best customer service/mechanics. I pay extra to make sure I get good customer service and a mechanic that knows what they are doing, instead of an idiot lawn mower/jet ski mechanic working on my bike. When I was shopping for a crotch rocket to go with my road king I was shocked to see insurance for them was sky high. Buell is the cheapest to insure in my area.
clively is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 06:07 AM   #13
m_t_yeo
Founding Member

As a fellow rider with a seat height issue ... I would suggest the smaller Buell, not the 12. Lighter, slightly better handling, enough power to really scare you, lots of torque, etc. When I test drove it, it seemed like it would be a very fun bike.
m_t_yeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 06:32 AM   #14
Drakko
Registered Member

I ride a BMW R1150RT for touring but last summer I found I also missed the fun that my Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom provided. I thought of a DL650 to replace the fun factor but ultimately bought the SV650S instead (smaller/lighter and entirely different). I don't regret it and I find that it has all the power I need for acceleration and it gives me all the excitement I need in the twisties. It isn't a bike you would ride for distance on the weekends but it is the first bike of choice for a little relaxation in the evenings after work. I suggest you consider the SV650S if it's to augment your tourer and you may also want to look at the new Kawasaki Ninja 650R.
Drakko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 07:41 AM   #15
nitrofly
Founding Member

Apparently the GSX-R1000 makes the ideal first sports bike. So much so, in fact, that most beginners find them a great way to get into biking.
Old 01-15-2006, 08:00 AM   #16
imported_g_k
Registered Member

I agree with the Speed Triple recommendation. I've never ridden one, although I did own a T595 Daytona a few years ago and really enjoyed the sound it made, but depending on what you're actually going to use it for a modern "naked" bike might suit your needs better than a fully-faired sportbike. I've owned several sportbikes, (748, CBR929, Aprilia RSV-R, etc.), but my most recent (Monster S4R) and current (MV Agusta Brutale) bikes have been by far the most fun of any of them. Less suited for distance, but they're the best around town, IMHO.

The MV or S4R might be too pricey, but there are other similar models to choose from, like air-cooled Monsters or used Speed Triples or Aprilia Tuonos. I'm sure your eventual decision will be based on your own biases and personal psychoses, rather than mine, but I wanted to add another vote against any Buell. I don't care if Eric B. is an engineering genius - Harley motors are jokes.
imported_g_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 08:20 AM   #17
xemilx
Founding Member

I would stay as far away as possible from the Buells.

Great chassis, but the 19th century engine simply ruins them, it lacks oomph, runs out of breath way to early, vibrates like a jackhammer and weighs a ton.

My recommendations: Either the Triumph Speed Triple or an Aprilia RSV.

xemilx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 08:26 AM   #18
sconley
Founding Member

...Here's another vote for some things that were already said... Get the XB9 over the 12... It's nearly as fast, and the way it produces power is more entertaining than the 12 (and I've had both, currently the 9sx is in my garage). But this isn't really a "Modern" sportbike unless you look at the chassis only. Also, think of last generation bikes, the YZF600R can be had for cheap and was an excellent machine (I had one of those too)... And the Honda Superhawk can be had for dirt cheap. No, these bikes aren't the most cutting edge anymore, but they'll be above and beyond most rider's abilities even so. Also, if you continue to ride the harley, I hope it isn't raked out too much... Hoping from a long and low bike to a Buell would definitely take some getting used to... I bought mine with 600 miles on it from an older gent with a custom built redneck chopper. He bought it for the same reasons, a bike to hop on and go carve up the countryside on, every once in awhile. Said he couldn't get used to it, too giddery. And it is, I love the new Buells but the head shake can be a bit un-nerving at times. Lastly, think about that new Triumph 675 triple... Good luck!
sconley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 08:47 AM   #19
vermicious
Registered Member

The list as presented was just what caught my eye when I was surfing around. I don't have my heart set on anything in particular other than quickening my pulse. I have looked at and considered some of the middle weights but put the larger displacement bikes in the list instead because I've gotten kind of used to the weight... I guess that logic kind of runs counter to my purpose though unless I'm going with the Buell.
Old 01-15-2006, 08:49 AM   #20
vermicious
Registered Member

My only hesitancy with the triumphs is their (deserved or not) reputation for reliability (or rather it's absence).