Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 01-04-2006, 03:26 PM   #1
sv1000rider
Founding Member

Default Re: Riding In Hawaii

Hey BMW dude, what kind of bike does your son have? Not that it really matters or anything. I'm just curious. I've heard Hawaii has some nice roads but even if they didn't, I'm sure I'd have a great time riding my bike to the beach and just hanging out.
sv1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-04-2006, 03:30 PM   #2
Deleata
Registered Member

My Husband and I have ridden all over the Big Island - Hawaii - and loved it. The only bike we could find to rent was a Harley...actually its a funny story....we are Jap/German type bike riders and after leaving the rental center we decided the bike wasn't running right. So we returned and explained it to the rental guys and they took it for a ride. The guy comes back and says "yeah, it's suppose to run like that".....what a shame. Anyway, the island is great and the roads are okay. Prepare for rain at some point. Ride the road from Hilo up the Mauna Kea pass and on over to the West side. Enjoy a sunset ride at some point and have a great time.

Deleata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 03:31 PM   #3
glacier
Registered Member

I just got back from a week on the Big Island - Rented for a day from DJ's Rentals (http://harleys.com/) in Kona - they have Harleys, although I used their Magna. A fun day out with the g/f riding along the coast and inland on the north end of the island. From my web searches prior to heading over, there appear to be a number of rental shops on the various islands. Have fun!
glacier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 03:53 PM   #4
BigMike_1
Founding Member

I lived on Oahu for three years. One day riding is all that's needed to see the entire Island, and frankly, the roads then, 49 - 97, weren't in the best of shape.

I would imagine that driving their now would be far worse than then due to the increased population density.

My suggestion, once your son is there for a while (I assume he is US military like I was) is to go to the Big Island for a week and have a blast. That place is one of God's best kept secrets.
BigMike_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 05:34 PM   #5
jjasper
Founding Member

Just got back from Maui and Oahu and all the rental places I saw were Harleys and scooters. One nice thing is Hawaii has the smoothest most well maintained roads I have ever seen in my travels all over the world including the German autobahn, and the scenery is fantastic.
jjasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 09:33 PM   #6
eekadog
Founding Member

you're lucky....the new honolulu mayor made road improvements a priority...it was horrible a few years ago.
eekadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 02:17 AM   #7
pplassm
Founding Member

Too funny.
Old 01-05-2006, 02:59 AM   #8
bmwdude
Founding Member

Actually he is a non rider. I still haven't figured out how that happened?
bmwdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 03:49 AM   #9
richdeerht
Registered Member

Last January my son and I rented Harleys and rode around Oahu. We had a great time, except for getting caught in the rain.

If your son is stationed in Hawaii, it's most likely on Oahu. That's where most of the military facilities are. Navy, Army, Air Force, Marines, Coast Guard all have a major presence on Oahu.
richdeerht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 05:35 AM   #10
bootsy
Registered Member

My folks live on Oahu and I rented a Harley from Cruising Hawaii in Waikiki. Other than the few times I forgot what I was riding and almost went swimming it was great! I'm going back this March and want to ride again but wish I could find a bike to rent for a week, not a $200 a day HD. Although like someone already said, 1 day is really all you need to cover the whole island.

Any locals out there wanna make a few bucks?
bootsy is offline   Reply With Quote