Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 01-05-2006, 05:18 AM   #11
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Re: Riding In Hawaii

It seems that off road would be the way to go. One day would cover the paved roads but you could ride dirt forever.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-05-2006, 05:23 AM   #12
gbrummett
Founding Member

Default Jet Ski rental's

I would suggest renting some Jet Ski's as well, plenty of riding area for it no doubt and you can catch some good waves.
gbrummett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 05:31 AM   #13
chingbaby
Registered Member

I did it a couple times. I'm originally from Oahu, and go back once or twice a year. Rented Harleys and Honda Shadows a couple times. It's pretty expensive to rent (about $80 a day for a Shadow, $110 a day for a Sportster), and really only cruisers are available. I finally bought a baby ninja to store at my parents place and use while I'm out there. I figure I saved a fortune in rental costs.

Places to go fast are very limited, so there is less of a need for the bigger displacement mainland bikes.

One thing that is a plus is that most municipal parking garages, beach parks, etc. have free motorcycle parking even though cars must pay. For example, the city garage in Chinatown charges a quarter for 15min for cars, free for bikes. Hanauma Bay charges a dollar for cars (and the lot is usually full by about 9am). Bikes get in free and can come in when the car spaces are full. This is great because the next place to park is about 3/4 a mile a way. That's a long way to hike carrying diving equipment!
chingbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 06:01 AM   #14
desertbilly
Founding Member

I was on Maui last year and wanted to rent, but there was nothing but cruisers so I didn't pursue it. One thing I noticed was there weren't as many roads as I'd expected and the speed limits are low. I think there was one segment at 55, and the rest of the island was 20 to 45. My thoughts were a big engine would be wasted, and a 400 to 650 dual sport would be ideal for me.
desertbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 08:17 AM   #15
bmwdude
Founding Member

Thanks to everyone for their thoughts and advice!

I have gotten some additional info: My son will be on Oahu, just as some of you were speculating.

Now that I know that, I searched around and found a place called http://www.bigkahunarentals.com/

Their main thing is HD's but they also claim to offer an 1150r for $620 a week. There was also an R6 listed but no per week price. I was hoping for an KLR, but hey, I'll take what I can get! If all else fails, I'll be on one of their sportsters.

If anyone finds any other rental leads, please let me know!
bmwdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 10:01 AM   #16
bmwdude
Founding Member

Default Re: Jet Ski rental's

Now there's an idea! I will absolutely check that out.

This idea reminds me of my college days living in Boston. A friend of mine had both a boat and a pair of "Wet Bikes". (They looked like a motorcycle on water ski's) We would spend entire weekends on the boat out off shore diving and riding the wet bikes.(Burrrr Cold!!!)

We actually got boarded and lectured by the coast-guard one weekend; We were anchored just outside the mouth of the cape cod canal and followed a cruse ship on the wet bikes riding over the waves it was making. A good way to get killed I know! But damn we had fun! Up until the authorities showed up and spoiled our fun.

Ahhh to be 18 and immortal again.
bmwdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 07:26 AM   #17
eekadog
Founding Member

http://www.cyclecityltd.com

rents harley's
eekadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 07:27 AM   #18
eekadog
Founding Member

too bad riding through the old pineapple and cane fields is *cough cough* "illegal"
Old 01-06-2006, 11:39 AM   #19
chingbaby
Registered Member

I can't stand them. When I was looking to buy a 250 Ninja out there, they quoted me $4800 plus freight, prep, tax, and fees. They're the typical overpriced Harley place, except they try the same nonsense on Kawasaki.

That's right, I said $4800 plus freight, prep, tax, and fees. Not a typo.
chingbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 03:43 PM   #20
eekadog
Founding Member

you definitely have to put on your negotiator hat over there....

the best line is...

South Seas/Domenico's quoted me blah blah blah...