Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 02-08-2001, 11:43 AM   #1
SugarMrPoon
Founding Member

Default Re: Helmet Law Repeal Stats

just wear a helmet.
SugarMrPoon is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-08-2001, 12:07 PM   #2
tubamotorcycle
Founding Member

Once again, the press has the freedom to quote numbers without actual facts.

Examples from the Reuters article:

"In the US, motorcycle deaths increased by nearly 8% from 2,294 in 1998 to 2,472 in 1999."

Question: How many more motorcycles were on the road in 1998 vs. 1999?

"In Texas, treatment for brain injury costs ``have increased by as much as 75% per case, from $18,418 to $32,209,'' they note."

Question: How much has treatment of NORMAL, non-motorcycle related brain injury increased during the same period of time?

I'll still happily wear my Shoei RF-800 most of the year, and my 1/2 helmet when it's too hot out. But I still want the ability to choose whether I wear that helmet or not.

Nonetheless, the point is understood by all of us...there are fewer FATAL accidents when we wear helmets.
tubamotorcycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2001, 12:10 PM   #3
Twitch
Founding Member

People who do not ware helmets are potential Darwin award winners.
Twitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2001, 12:38 PM   #4
POPtart
Founding Member

MO, two weeks ago you said that next Monday you would post the supersport shootout. Now, its like it never happened. At least say you aren't gonna post it or something. Its not polite to get us into a frenzy, and then just leave us out to dry like this.
POPtart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2001, 12:48 PM   #5
desertbilly
Founding Member

This is an impossible issue. Do we allow people the freedom to participate in dangerous activities? There are compelling arguments for both sides, and I don't know the answer.

I don't get on my bike without my Arai helmet, riding jacket, boots, gloves, and I usually wear riding pants as well. I have no interest in skin grafts.

I wish all riders would wear protective gear, but I tend to come down on the side of personal choice.
desertbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2001, 12:56 PM   #6
x1lightening
Founding Member

I beleive that it is each individuals right to decide whether or not they want to wear a helmet. It is not the governments job to protect us from ourselves and make decisions for us. I can understand the government creating a law that affects whether or not you are capable of hurting another individual, but this is not the case in this situation. If anyone is to make a stand for helmets being worn by riders it should be the insurance companies. They are probably the ones pushing this issue anyway. It should be thier policy to charge differently for helmet wearing riders and non helmet wearing riders. Then maybe the ones of us that do wear our helmets will get a break in our yearly premiums! The government has no right to make decisions in this area, its just absurd!

Thank God that I still live in a state (IL) that still somewhat believes in individual rights!! I'll continue wearing my helmet, but that is by my OWN decision.
x1lightening is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2001, 12:59 PM   #7
jpajor
Founding Member

as a group we seem to be self conscious of ourselves or maybe over studied. My wife, an

RN tells me I have a better chance of head injury getting in or out of the bathtub.
jpajor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2001, 01:06 PM   #8
badsac
Founding Member

Default I saw in another post that it is coming soon. (NT)

badsac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2001, 02:07 PM   #9
motorpsyche
Founding Member

Default Try this potential scenario

When you have a severe head injury after riding a motorcycle w/out a helmet, try explaining to your family in a slurred voice and/or with hand signals that it was your right not to wear a helmet. If your family understands you, pray they will quit crying and remember what you said as they feed you and wipe your behind for you for the rest of your life.
motorpsyche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2001, 02:24 PM   #10
bimota
Founding Member

Since I ride and it's obvious from the gear I have on, people feel compelled to tell me the motorcycle horror story from their life. Even if I don't know them. They'll start talking to me, right in the middle of Wal-Mart. As if at the end I'm going to say "You're right! I'm an IDIOT to be riding. Thanks for warning me!" My first question to people when they finish the disaster story: "Was he wearing a helmet?" Followed ALWAYS by their "No..." I always feel like such an a$# for indirectly pointing out that their uncle/boyfriend/husband/etc. would still be alive if they had thought to wear some safety gear.

I know it's not supposed to be "cool" for a certain segment of the biking population to wear them, but think about your wife/daughter/etc. stopping to tell me your story in a Wal-Mart someday.
bimota is offline   Reply With Quote