Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 02-09-2001, 05:59 AM   #61
hamatsu
Founding Member

Default Re: Insurance companies love people like you

How long do you think it will be before a lobbyist for the insurance industry tries to get legislation passed that will increase premiums for people involved in dangerous sports ? Or maybe have clauses written into the policies that exclude coverage for these ? Ever read any clauses in life insurance that excludes "acts of war" for payment ?

You're fooling yourself if you think that insurance companies aren't already looking into these sorts of things. It will cost you somewhere down the road either in premuim dollars for policies or emergency care. Besides if the first guy sliced off his legs and spilled his vital organs all over the embankment that would mean that his **** would be gone too. Who would WANT to live after that anyway ?
hamatsu is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-09-2001, 06:08 AM   #62
Iman01
Founding Member

Default Re: Why we need helmet laws

You argue that it will save lives if we all wear helmets. OK.

What I don't understand is how you fail to grasp that it would also be safer if we all drove SUVs. To accept in one hand that it is ok for "the people" to take my rights away to make it safer for "the people." Then in the other hand you think they will stop after they have completed their first battle. It would be a safe world, with less fatalities if we didn't drive motorcycles.

That is a bogus arguement. You are right, the politicians could make far crazier laws ie. outlaw motorcycles all together. That is no reason to lie down and let them take all of our other rights.

"That's why states cannot force welfare mothers to be sterilized. " Why not? They are a minority, just like motorcycle riders. It would save me a lot of money if we didn't allow them to have sex. It would save me a lot of money if motorcycleists wore helmets. It would save me a lot of money if motorcycles were banned.

Ration cards. That is another good idea. Those damn fat people clog up the ambulances. It would be socially convenient for me if we ignored fat people so that my son Johnny can get an ambulance ride when he falls off his bicycle.

IT IS NOT GOOD TO LOSE RIGHTS. I WILL NEVER TRADE RIGHTS FOR MONEY!!! I HAVE THE RIGHT TO HURT MY SELF. YOU HAVE THE RIGHT TO SHOOT YOURSELF IN THE FOOT.
Iman01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2001, 06:09 AM   #63
hamatsu
Founding Member

Default Re: Wow

Man, that must have been one hell of a firecracker ! More like it was probably an M80 round. I think the shotgun blast theory sounds feasible though. I don't know about you but I've consumed both alcohol and drugs and never wanted to reshape my face like that ! Looks like a potential Darwin award to that guy.
Old 02-09-2001, 06:25 AM   #64
hamatsu
Founding Member

Default Re: Hey, me too GSparky !!

When I was younger...like in May of last year, I had a deer commit suicide in front of me at 60 mph. I live in Florida but this happened in North Georgia. At the time I had on an Arai Quantum f and full Vanson leathers with Aplinestar boots. You know what ? I smacked the ground so hard that I was unconscious for the 5 or 6 seconds that myself, the deer (4 point buck) and my 98 TLS were sliding down the road. Next thing I knew, I was standing up and looking for my bike and the deer. The deer, of course, to make sure that I didn't have to chase him and kill him with my bare hands. Obviously the bike was toast. I had 2 broken ribs and a broken shoulder blade. But here's the best part. I didn't have a single scratch on me and was very alert when I stood up again. My insurance took care of the entire write-off and even reimbursed me for the cost of the helmet. Had I not been wearing one, I wouldn't be typing this right now. I never ride without leathers now, no matter how hot it is, cause a little sweat sure beats skin grafts any day. As for the helmet, that pretty much goes without saying, it saved my head.
Old 02-09-2001, 06:28 AM   #65
Iman01
Founding Member

Default Re: Helmet Law Repeal Stats

Thanks Dan. IF I had to pay for this site I'd want the staff to provide pertinent info. like this. Maybe they should offer Dan a job.
Iman01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2001, 06:29 AM   #66
rickd
Founding Member

I love it - the social burden theory raises it's ugly head again. Here's a thought though - far and away the most common injury in automobile collisions is head injury. The vast majority of the cars on the road offer no protection for the head at all. If we really wanted to save a lot of insurance dollars, we'd be pushing for helmet laws for automobiles.

Automobile collisions claim somewhere around 50,000 lives annually. You only have to save 1% of them to have a bigger impact (measured in the all-important insuracne company expendature, of course) than saving even 25% of all motorcycleists.
rickd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2001, 06:33 AM   #67
CYCLE_MONKEY
Founding Member

Default Re: GRRRRR....

Actually, YOURS is the assinine argument. Are we all supposed to drive around in armored Brinks trucks or bullet/bomb/impact-resistant limo's instead of motorcycles just so that when some bozo hits us, we won't cost HIM too much money? You must be joking.
CYCLE_MONKEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2001, 06:37 AM   #68
CYCLE_MONKEY
Founding Member

Default Re: A few words from some prominent people.....

You're totally missing the point. Benjamin means liberties in general. Any and all being just as important.
CYCLE_MONKEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2001, 07:27 AM   #69
BBD_Racing
Founding Member

Hey, RickD, great anti-Social Burden Theory argument.

There is another point which nobody has mentioned. Do you know anyone who was doted upon by their parents? Someone who never had to do anything for themself and did not bear the responsibility for their actions? They were less functional than others around them, right?

This holds true in a macro sense. The more the gov't thinks for the people, the more the people will forget how to think for themselves. That is part of what Franklin and Adams were addressing.

I work for NASA Houston. We have a huge campus with dozens of buildings and 25,000 people (some would say Rocket Scientists). We also have a massive Safety program which includes crosswalks everywhere and the requirement that cars must stop whenever anyone is approaching a crosswalk. sounds nice - keeps people from being hit by cars.

Not true. What it has done is train this highly educated workforce to just blindly walk into the street without the slightest look if there is a car coming. People still get hit. THIS NICE LITTLE RULE HAS DUMBED DOWN A HIGHLY EDUCATED WORKFORCE TO THE POINT THAT THEY NO LONGER REMEMBER TO LOOK BEFORE CROSSING THE STREET. We will sooN have more rules and stricter enforcement to save people from their laziness.

This is a microcosm of society as a whole. This nannyism begets more incompetance and the need for more nannyism.
BBD_Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2001, 07:31 AM   #70
VFour
Founding Member

Luckily, I live in a state that has resisted repealing its helmet despite lobbying from a large group of air-cooled V-twin riders. If the law had not been in effect last June, I may not have worn a helmet the evening that I lost the front and crashed. My favorite Shoei took a hell of a beating...leaving me unconscious but alive. I have subsequently sent photos of the battered lid, that resides my the front door as a reminder, to my state legislators with my deepest thanks.
VFour is offline   Reply With Quote