Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 02-09-2001, 02:48 AM   #41
dirtybmxr
Founding Member

Default Re: Pic

Great, trauma care from someone who can't even spell . . . Just wear your helmet, because arguing that riding without a helmet is safe, is pointless.
dirtybmxr is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-09-2001, 02:51 AM   #42
RobGixxer750
Founding Member

Default Natural selection

I am a Christian, so I shouldn't say this, but if people choose to do something so stupid as not wearing a helmet, let them. The way I see it is that it's one less idiot in the world.

I know this is wrong, but....... it's what I truly feel.

RobGixxer750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2001, 02:53 AM   #43
Modsmasher
Founding Member

Default Re: Helmet Law Repeal Stats

You jerkies really know how to spoil some fun, don't you. I guess I have to retire my pudding basin for a full face.
Modsmasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2001, 02:59 AM   #44
dirtybmxr
Founding Member

Default Re: GRRRRR....

"Ok, let's suppose you DON'T go around hitting people with your car. Wouldn't you and I both be better off if you paid some attention to where you were driving?"

What kind of logic is that? Accidents happen, bud, and car drivers suck everywhere. If you get into an accident and get killed, who gives a rat's ass who's fault it was. You're dead. In a driving utopia where mistakes did not happen, we wouldn't need bumpers, seat belts, or even good brakes. Until then there is no smart way to argue not to wear a helmet.
Old 02-09-2001, 03:00 AM   #45
TBones
Founding Member

If you can come up with a good statistical correlation between going helmet-less and costing taxpayers/society in general extra money, then people not wearing helmets should pay more for their insurance. However, I think if you want to ride without a helmet, you should be able to (just don't get any brains on me when you go down).

I wouldn't ride to the mail box without a helmet (and it's at the end of my sidewalk), but I think adults should be able to make that choice for themselves.

I support helmet laws for minors, but once you're an adult, I think it should be your call. As long as people have to be fully responsible for all aspects of their choices, they should be able to do what they want as long as it doesn't hurt others.

It gets very sticky though-- what of the family on welfare or the kids in a foster-parent program because their parent or parents caved in their heads riding without a helmet? It's intractable. However, I think we in America should err on the side of personal freedom when faced with a complex situation like this one.

-Tom
TBones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2001, 03:04 AM   #46
dirtybmxr
Founding Member

Default Re: A few words from some prominent people.....

Talk about out-of-context. I am pretty sure that Franklin had slighly more important things than your childish need to ride without a helmet, on his mind at the time.
Old 02-09-2001, 03:06 AM   #47
SquidHunterRC51
Founding Member

well after every ride my helmut is consumed with bug and guts and rock chips, me I'll never understand anyone wanting to ride without one. But for arguments sake how many head injuries do we have in automobile accidents. let some legislature try and pass a law where car riders must wear helmuts and see how far it gets. its like the seatbelt laws, I don't want to wear them. I hate them, but we all take chances in life and to a certain degree it should be up to us as to the extent of chance we are willing to take. Skiers. Skydivers, Mountain climbers and on and on, hikers not armed against potential dangerous animals. The point is what amount of risk can you live with and should you be able to make the choice, in this country I think so. IMHO
SquidHunterRC51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2001, 03:09 AM   #48
dirtybmxr
Founding Member

Now THAT's a classic! I promise to use it, if you don't mind . . .
Old 02-09-2001, 03:11 AM   #49
FloridaSteve
Founding Member

Default Would you play football without one? I doubt it!

Just a thought here but the average direct collision in a head to head tackle in a football might have a combined speed of 30 mph. Would you do this without a helmet?

Now would you do 60/80/200 mph on a bike without one. Would you drive bare headed and bare ass through the forest without one.

Would you roadrace on a track without one? Even though the track is not filled with guard rails, telephone poles, and idiots driving cars and talking on cell phones cutting you off?

If you ride without a helmet you're a moron! If you ride without a helmet AND no proper insurance then you're a moron who is going to end up costing me and the rest of the taxpayers money to pay for you're drool cup!
Old 02-09-2001, 03:44 AM   #50
eddieviscosity
Founding Member

My understanding of this photograph is that the subject had a firecracker explode in his mouth. Alcohol was evidently involved, too.
eddieviscosity is offline   Reply With Quote