Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 02-08-2001, 05:36 PM   #21
Haga
Founding Member

Default Re: Helmet Law Repeal Stats

As are people who can't spell wear.
Haga is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-08-2001, 05:53 PM   #22
huskerdu
Founding Member

I'll take this one..... Those of us who choose to wear helmets also make choices about riding comfort as well. I live in Florida where it gets miserably hot and unless you enjoy inserting your head into a sweaty sponge, riding with a full face helmet is sometimes an unattractive option. For me the choice occasionally comes down to either riding with a half helmet or not riding at all. I weigh the risks and make my choice willingly. It may only happen 10 times a year but I do wear a half helmet. I'd rather do that than not ride at all.

I'm pretty sure that if I'd read your smart-ass comment about about faces getting hard the wit alone would have caused me to re-think my entire position on the matter however.
huskerdu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2001, 06:15 PM   #23
elitegroup
Founding Member

I love some of the comments I've read so far on this subject. I have tried to understand why people don't want wind noise and bug protection, not to mention brain protection! I personally have ridden without a helmet a few times in the past, but i'll never do it again. The damage to the ears from noise is bad enough plus my eyes water. It also seems the day I road without a lid the prehistoric size bumble bees come out to play HA HA HA!! SPLAT!!!!! I think helmets offer more protection then most people are willing to admit. Not wearing a helmet I personally feel can let other factors hinder a riders progress. For example: bugs at highways speeds, blurred vision from tearing of the eyes and rocks spit up from other vehicles tires. I think helmets should be as common law as a wind shield in an automobile don't you? In conclusion if you want to be a rebel and not wear a helmet just remember if you go down and hit your head you might not live through it to know if a helmet had helped or not.
elitegroup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2001, 06:24 PM   #24
Abe_Froman
Founding Member

Default A few words from some prominent people.....

"Those that would sacrifice liberty for security will will recieve neither, and do not deserve either."

------Benjamin Franklin

If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.

-----Samuel Adams

The architects of this great country are not on your side.

Abe_Froman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2001, 06:24 PM   #25
DataDan
Founding Member

While I agree that helmets do save lives, the number of lives saved is usually overstated, sometimes vastly. This report on Texas and Arkansas repeal is one of the whoppers.

Indeed, the numbers show a 21% increase in AR between 1996 (last full year before repeal) and 1998 (first full year after repeal) and a 31% increase in TX over the same period. Anyone in tune with sport, though, would be aware of burgeoning sales over the past few years and ask for a comparison of deaths per registered motorcycle rather than just a body count. And that's where Data Dan comes in to help y'all out.

In Arkansas, fatalities per registered motorcycle increased by 9% in 1997 over 1996. But in 1998, the first full year after repeal, they dropped 13% and fell below the rate for 1996, the last full year before repeal.

In Texas, the fatality rate per registered motorcycle increased by 23% in 1997, but was still no worse than 1995, two years before repeal. In 1998, the first full year after appeal, the rate inreased only 3% over 1997.

I obtained these figures from the NHTSA on which the Reuters story is based. Download a copy yourself from http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/people/inju...valofMotor.pdf. Page 23, Table 9 includes the figures I cite above.
DataDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2001, 06:26 PM   #26
NATO
Founding Member

I don't want the government telling me what I can and can't do, anymore or less than everyone else. Why do I have to wear a seatbelt? I don't particularly like to. Why should I have to wear a helmet if I don't want to? It should be "Freedom of Choice."

I do wear a helmet, It has saved my several times! If someone else feels they shouldn't have to wear a helmet, that is he/or she's business. I hope it gets people who think for whatever reason that they shouldn't be wearing a helmet out of the gene pool that much quicker.

NATO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2001, 07:13 PM   #27
static
Founding Member

I once had a woman stop me at the door of a bank. She wouldn't let me in until she had her word. In a polite tone she asked, "You ride a motorcycle? Don't you know that's dangerous?"

I said, "Yes ma'am, but do you know what else is dangerous?"

"What's that?"

"Talking to strangers."

She quickly let me through the door.
static is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2001, 07:58 PM   #28
DataDan
Founding Member

tubamotorcycle asked:

Question: How many more motorcycles were on the road in 1998 vs. 1999?

3,879,450 in 1998 vs. 4,152,433 in 1999, a 7.0% increase compared to a 7.8% increase in fatalities (which Reuters rounded to 8%). The rate of fatalities per 100,000 registered motorcycles increased 0.7% from 59.13 to 59.53.

[from "Traffic Safety Facts 1999", available from http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov]

DataDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2001, 08:06 PM   #29
SVSBoss
Founding Member

Check www.rotten.com, scroll down the page till you get to motorcycle then click. This is why we wear full face helmets. Be prepared.
SVSBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2001, 08:25 PM   #30
luvmyvfr
Founding Member

Default Pic

Guess what? That's actually a self-inflicted shotgun wound. Can't believe everything you read. I guess if I didn't work in a level one trauma center ER and take care of nearly identicle self-inflicted gunshot wounds to the face, I might believe that one too.
luvmyvfr is offline   Reply With Quote